• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

WNST: Harbaugh in 'middle of the pack' of NFL Coaches?
http://wnst.net/balt... ... d-coaches/

"Despite being the only head coach in the NFL to lead his team to the postseason and win at least one playoff game in each of the last four seasons, John Harbaugh apparently isn’t getting much love from at least one national pundit.

Ranking the 32 head coaches, NFL.com writer and regular WNST.net guest Gregg Rosenthal says Harbaugh ranks in the “middle of the pack” while listing 10 other coaches in higher categories in a tier-based ranking system."

NFL.com: Head Coach Power Rankings
http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I don't know.

I do know that his loyalty is both good and bad and that the team has seemingly done a poor job of in game adjustments, especially offensively.

But the team wins with him and it seems like a lot of the early turmoil surrounding him and players not liking him is mostly gone.

A guy who consistently wins and takes his team into the playoffs is not easy to find.

It also seems like this guy is trying to be the first guy to say, I told you so when it comes to Allen.

Its also way too early to put Jim Harbaugh in the top 3, especially ahead of his brother and Coughlin.

Also, how Schwartz and R Ryan are ranked ahead of Harbaugh is beyond me.

It seems like this guy is penalizing Harbaugh for coming into a good situation...which is funny since the situation he came into was with a rookie QB from a 1-AA school.

#3 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz, and Dennis freakin' Allen are ranked in a tier above him? What a joke.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think he's pretty mediocre in-game. He's awful with challenges and time outs.

His record pretty much speaks for itself, though, in terms of how good he must be for the other 165 hours a week.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think he's pretty mediocre in-game. He's awful with challenges and time outs.

His record pretty much speaks for itself, though, in terms of how good he must be for the other 165 hours a week.

Good point on the challenges and timeouts.

This team has basically always been awful at clock management.

Its funny because Billick got creamed for that but it still continues.

I think its just the organizational mindset..Take your time, keep the defense rested and let them win the game.

And when you take your timeout, you waste timeouts, get penalities, etc...

I agree about the challenges. I mean, there are times where he challenges and he is 100% right but they are calls that never get overturned.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

He's not a very good in game coach and I question some of his roster decisions. However, he's done a great job at cutting down on penalties and getting rid of the "bad boy" reputation we had under Billick/Ryan. Overall, I'd probably have him around 10 give or take. Clearly not a top tier coach.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

For me, it's: Belichick, Coughlin, Tomlin, Payton, John Harbaugh and everyone else.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

He's not a very good in game coach and I question some of his roster decisions. However, he's done a great job at cutting down on penalties and getting rid of the "bad boy" reputation we had under Billick/Ryan. Overall, I'd probably have him around 10 give or take. Clearly not a top tier coach.

Name 9 coaches better than Harbs?

I'll give you 4... Belichick, Tomlin, Payton and Coughlin... who else?

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

BTW, John Harbaugh walked into a situation, not only with a rookie QB, but with a very good AFC and Pitt in his division.

Jim Harbaugh walked into the worst division in the sport...by far. The NFC is at least a lot better now than it was a few years ago.

But still, to say John Harbaugh walked into a great situation and seemingly downgrade him for that but not see what his brother walked into is absurd.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Rex Ryan, Jim Schwartz, and Dennis freakin' Allen are ranked in a tier above him? What a joke.

Rex Ryan/Jim Schwartz are a little more explainable. Clearly Ryan had an off-year last year, but he made it to the AFC Championship in the first two years (FWIW, both Ryan/Harbaugh have two AFC Championship appearances, both losses). Schwartz, he's turned around the Lions quite nicely. Not saying I agree or disagree with either of these two being ranked ahead of Harbaugh. How did Dennis Allen make it is beyond me since he's not proven at all.
@levineps

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Name 9 coaches better than Harbs?

I'll give you 4... Belichick, Tomlin, Payton and Coughlin... who else?

Reid, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Fischer, Mike Shanahan, Mike McCarthy, John Fox, Mike Smith,Rex Ryan. I'm not saying all these guys are better but I don't think Harbaugh is clearly better either. I would def take the first 3 guys I listed along with the 4 you named ahead of John. After that,it's debatable and more personal choice. So yeah somewhere in the 8-12 range.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Reid, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Fischer, Mike Shanahan, Mike McCarthy, John Fox, Mike Smith,Rex Ryan. I'm not saying all these guys are better but I don't think Harbaugh is clearly better either. I would def take the first 3 guys I listed along with the 4 you named ahead of John. After that,it's debatable and more personal choice. So yeah somewhere in the 8-12 range.

Sounds a lot like the Flacco debate...

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Good point on the challenges and timeouts.

This team has basically always been awful at clock management.

Its funny because Billick got creamed for that but it still continues.

I think its just the organizational mindset..Take your time, keep the defense rested and let them win the game.

And when you take your timeout, you waste timeouts, get penalities, etc...

I agree about the challenges. I mean, there are times where he challenges and he is 100% right but they are calls that never get overturned.

I thought Harbaugh greatly improved last season when it came to challenges, though before that he was weak. Agree on clock management....it seems like one of those things that the Ravens are simply destined to stink at no matter who the coach is.

#14 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

I agree where John Harbaugh is at, not sure his brother deserves the "top shelf" ranking. Mike McCarthy should be top shelf just because of what he did after parting ways with Brett Favre like they did. I mean really coaches are divided in 3 categories. 1) Super Bowl winners 2) Coaches that get to the playoffs 3) Coaches that never get to the playoffs.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#15 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Some people will never, ever be happy.

BB is clearly ahead of John. I also think Jim Harbaugh is a damn good coach, probably better than John, but that's just my opinion and I don't have much to back that up.

General consensus to take Coughlin just because of the SBs but I'd do so reluctantly because he has a tendency to underachieve in the regular season, plus he has an elite QB he's had to work with.

Other than that, there isn't a coach in the NFL I trade John Harbaugh for.
@PeterDiLutis

#16 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

So you like Jim Harbaugh after one year better than John? Really? That's tough. Shanahan, Fox, Smith, Ryan are not guys I'd put ahead of Harbaugh. If Lee Evans catches the darn ball and Baltimore goes to the SB last year, I think he's much more clearly a top 5-7 guy.

I also think if John Harbaugh didn't keep Cameron around and brought in a quality OC, certainly Baltimore fans could find it in their heart to give him more of a break. But I fault him directly for keeping Cam around and the disaster that he is.

#17 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

This ranking is a joke. Seriously? I do not care about anything beyond the records. He is a coach that has the respect of his team. That team goes to battle for him and the respect is there. The fact that coaches with far worse records than Harbs's is ranked ahead of him is a joke and I'm sorry I can not take a writer who would even post this blasphamy seriously. It's like ranking Tebow ahead of Flacco, It's not even a close comparison. Harbs is a top 5 coach in my eyes. He took a 5-11 team when he took over, had a rookie QB and a supposed "aging" defense and has had 4 straight playoff trips and in that span getting to two AFC chamionship games. Yes, the point is fair that in game adjustments seem to lack but coming off two straight 12-4 seasons, how can we complain? The only argument that is legitimate against Harbs is not getting to the Super Bowl. That's it. Once again, national analysts act like the Ravens are a sub-par team. Sorry if this seems like an angry rant but as Ravens fans, aren't you tired of the disrespect this team receives?
@Langley486

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Who cares?

I am sure there are national d-bags ranking the Ravens as a middle of the pack team.

Just because they're national doesn't mean their intelligent.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

So you like Jim Harbaugh after one year better than John? Really? That's tough. Shanahan, Fox, Smith, Ryan are not guys I'd put ahead of Harbaugh. If Lee Evans catches the darn ball and Baltimore goes to the SB last year, I think he's much more clearly a top 5-7 guy.

I also think if John Harbaugh didn't keep Cameron around and brought in a quality OC, certainly Baltimore fans could find it in their heart to give him more of a break. But I fault him directly for keeping Cam around and the disaster that he is.

Jim Harbaugh is a really good coach. I don't need to see him in the league for years to know that. John has ridden Flacco's back to an extent. To be fair Belichick has done the same with Brady, Dungy with Manning,etc,etc.

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Jim Harbaugh is a really good coach. I don't need to see him in the league for years to know that. John has ridden Flacco's back to an extent. To be fair Belichick has done the same with Brady, Dungy with Manning,etc,etc.

Coaches who do not have good players are not ranked high. Players make coaches. I think Harbs is somewhere in the 7-10 range. He is a hard worker but stubborness gets in the way at times. I wished the hell he had called time out before that fateful kick, then he may have had a SB and would be in the top 5.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=