#3 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Small world - Marty Foster, the third base ump last night who ejected Showalter - I know his brother. My wife works for him. He's also given us tickets to Rangers games before.

I joked with my wife that I needed to send Marty an email telling him to stop screwing with my O's in the middle of a pennant race.

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I love Mark Reynolds.

As do I..As you know, I've spent waaay too much time defending him on Facebook this season.
@beginthebegin71

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

There really does have to be some expanded replay. I know baseball is a slow game already but man there are just too many missed calls. Have an earpiece in the crew chiefs ear connected to a replay official somewhere in the park. What the replay official says goes and with super slow mo it shouldn't be anything that takes too much time. Obviously there are a lot of close plays in baseball and you can't stop the flow of the game too much but they have to figure something out.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

I love Mark Reynolds.

Some team is going to get a huge bargain with him next year.

#7 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Having seen the replay and a photo of the play on another board, page 29 of the game thread. OUT! Clearly his toe was on the bag when the ball was in his glove. He was out as the 1st base umpire said he was out. How a home plate umpire can overrule the call 90' away on a very close play is just beyond me!?!?

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Having seen the replay and a photo of the play on another board, page 29 of the game thread. OUT! Clearly his toe was on the bag when the ball was in his glove. He was out as the 1st base umpire said he was out. How a home plate umpire can overrule the call 90' away on a very close play is just beyond me!?!?

It's mind boggling. Missed calls suck and are one thing, but when the correct call is made by the umpire closest, and then is overturned by someone 90 feet away, it's just unacceptable. Reynolds was spot on about many of the things he said.

@AdamWolff

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

The problem isn't the safe/out call, or even whether or not the umpires should have conferred to change it. It is that the second-base umpire (who should have been the one the first-base umpire conferred with anyway) threw Reynolds out when he slammed down his glove. That was absolutely wrong, and likely had an effect on the rest of last night's game. The umpire should be disciplined.

#10 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Been a big Reynolds fan since he came over and personally handed a ball to my 3 yr old son about a month ago, but he went up even higher after last night. He had every right to be pissed since he knew his foot stayed on the bag an knew the original call was the correct call. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in a game before (I.e. correct call made initially and then overturned to the incorrect call after umpire discussion) and asking the wrong umpire on top of that.

Here is a question I have - are umps held to any standards at all??? Seems like the same garbage is trotted out year over year.
@brobey1

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Been a big Reynolds fan since he came over and personally handed a ball to my 3 yr old son about a month ago, but he went up even higher after last night. He had every right to be pissed since he knew his foot stayed on the bag an knew the original call was the correct call. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in a game before (I.e. correct call made initially and then overturned to the incorrect call after umpire discussion) and asking the wrong umpire on top of that.

Here is a question I have - are umps held to any standards at all??? Seems like the same garbage is trotted out year over year.

Amy's union is a joke compared to the umps union..and that's saying that something.

These guys can do whatever they want. MR was dead on with his comments.

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

As do I..As you know, I've spent waaay too much time defending him on Facebook this season.

Always fun reading that stuff on my Facebook timeline haha.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

No matter what he did building the Athletics, or what he ends up doing if he can resurrect the Mets, I believe that the best thing Sandy Alderson ever did in baseball was breaking the original umpire's union in 2000. When they resigned en masse to try and force MLB's hand and he simply accepted all of the resignations and only brought back the umpires MLB deemed competent enough.

There needs to be more accountability among the umpires, at least publicly.

#14 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

We need a GIF of Reynolds throwing his glove:
* On the moon
* On Omaha Beach
* Onstage with the Beatles
* On the grassy knoll
* On the deck of the Titantic
etc., etc.

You get the idea :-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#15 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

The umps were awful last night. I haven't been that pissed off about the Umps and an O's game since '96. Good for Reynolds for calling them out.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

The umps were awful last night. I haven't been that pissed off about the Umps and an O's game since '96. Good for Reynolds for calling them out.

Jeff Maier game?
@levineps

#17 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Jeff Maier game?

More than likely and it is interesting that the 2nd base umpire, Vic Carapazza that tossed Mark Reynolds. his father-in-law is Rich Garcia! :!:

Yes the same Rich Garcia that screwed up on the Derek Jeter/Jeffrey Maier play.

http://deadspin.com/... ... -carapazza

Remember this... who can forget it.

http://www.contursi.... ... rcatch.wav
  • DuffMan likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#18 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

More than likely and it is interesting that the 2nd base umpire, Vic Carapazza that tossed Mark Reynolds. his father-in-law is Rich Garcia! :!:

Yes the same Rich Garcia that screwed up on the Derek Jeter/Jeffrey Maier play.

http://deadspin.com/... ... -carapazza

Remember this... who can forget it.

http://www.contursi.... ... rcatch.wav

Everybody who has personal ties to Rich Garcia should be banned from umpiring... blood relatives... in-laws... neighbors... classmates in kindergarten... everybody...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#19 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWayne's Bar and Grill, PA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Little late to the discussion but I LOVED seeing Mark go off! VERY much! All parts of this team seem to have that fire. All 25 or all 50 parts, however you look at this squad. They have like 13 chips on their shoulders, from events this season. "Starting to come together Pepper! Starting to come together."
And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you grooving.

#20 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Mark seemed to be having a somewhat lengthy conversation with the umpire at 2nd base today. Would love to have heard that dialogue.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=