#421 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

Except that Britton, Jones and Brach are now free agents. Plus Wacha and Schoop only have one year of control remaining so your return for those players drops by a good chunk.

Yeah, that's true. I didn't give that enough credit earlier.

And if they aren’t good in 2018, you can still trade all of those guys. So what’s the difference? You still end up with a bunch of prospects that have no Ml time.

Your stance here doesn’t make a lot of sense imo.

Wong, Wacha, Schoop, Britton and Brach..whether it’s the deadline, next offseason or the deadline of 2019, all of those guys can still be dealt.

So, you can play with these assets until July and see where your team stands.

Or, you still trade one of Brach or Britton this offseason.

There are tons of possibilities. The bottom line is that it is flat out wrong that they couldn’t contend in 2018 with Wacha and Wong and without Manny.

Either direction means you need your young guys to develop and your vets to not be shit like last year.

At least in the Cards trade, all of our eggs aren’t in one basket and you have spread the talent out more.

#422 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

If you trade Machado, you're giving up on 2018. It's going to be hard to compete in 2019 without Britton, Brach and Jones. If the Os focus on major league talent, then they'll still end up unsuccessful in 2018 and find they just lengthened their rebuild by three years. 

Flaherty would be your fourth starter. I don't think they'd make a big trade for another guy. 

Flaherty wouldn't be my fourth starter.   He's be competing for the 5th spot with Cortes, Castro, and whoever.    You don't think the Orioles would trade for another starter but they've certainly kicked the tires on Patrick Corbin and Danny Duffy.     I would make a play for either of those guys.

#423 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

So, if you get Wong back in a deal with St. Louis, what do you do with Schoop?   Personally, I think his value is as high as it's going to be and we should look to move him.

Despite people claiming he can't play 3B because of 17 games played there in 2014, he's perfectly suited for the hot corner with good hands, reflexes, and a cannon arm.   He won't be Manny but he'll be above average over there in time.    He's a big kid.   That's where he really belongs although he's done a credible job at 2B.

• BSLChrisStoner and Hooded Viper like this

#424 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Rosenthal was just on MLB Network saying that the White Sox have offered a deal centered around Kopech OR Giolito. Not both.

I’m starting to think no one knows for sure. ;)
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#425 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

The idea that PA is upset a team could trade Manny to the Yankees is amusing.

If you are so worried about him becoming a Yankee, then fucking sign him!

Otherwise, trade him for the best deal you can and stop worrying about it.

For the love of god, the man has to go!
  • Chris B likes this

#426 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

Some tidbits from Roch:

"The Orioles are open to moving Trumbo and freeing up the designated hitter spot while he has two years and $26 million remaining on his contract. One source said teams counterpunched with the request that the Orioles absorb a portion of the remaining money."

"I can confirm via multiple sources that the White Sox's offer for Manny Machado wasn't as impressive as reported at the meetings.

The Orioles aren't prying away pitchers Lucas Giolito and Michael Kopech unless the White Sox craft another proposal. And if the southsiders really are the frontrunners, teams seriously need to step up.

The inability to obtain a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension is preventing rival executives from digging deeper into their farm systems for the necessary prospects."

"The Orioles didn't leave the meetings with a veteran catcher, but they still intend to find one to provide more depth at the position."

http://www.masnsport...r-meetings.html

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#427 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:05 AM

The real reason the Orioles haven't extended Manny?

He wants to be a Yankee.

https://twitter.com/...512172177420290

If he doesn't want to be in Baltimore, he's not extending unless the offer is completely ridiculous and still might not.  Ditto for any other club that trades for him.

That's the power of the dark side.

#428 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

If so, I will hate Machado forever.

#429 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

If you think about things, it makes sense.

He's a Miami kid, A-Rod is his idol.  Whoever drafted him would have his service until he could hit FA and then he'd go to the Yankees where his idol played and won a World Series.

Manny was never Ripken.  He wasn't born in Maryland, didn't grow up rooting for the Orioles.  He has no ties to Baltimore other than the fact the Orioles were the team that selected him.

He was never extending and the Orioles weren't going to throw him under the bus so they'd get the best effort out of him but I bet they know that's where he wants to be.

Everything that's been said is posturing IMO.

#430 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Btw...of course teams want us to eat some of the Trumbo deal.

So what? Save what you can and get him off the team. His roster spot has value.

#431 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

When Manny is no longer an Oriole and he is doing the same things in whatever city he goes to that he has done here, Os fans aren’t going to like him.

Btw...he may end up in NY but that tweet is meaningless.

#432 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

I really hate the refusal to not want to trade in-division. 

#433 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

This whole "I don't want him traded to Yankees" BS could be Angelos' worst Angelosism ever, and that's saying something.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#434 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

While I don't want him to go to the Yanks, if they were to offer that shortstop who is the top-rated prospect in baseball, I make that trade.

If you let the perception linger that you won't trade in-division, you make the trade market less robust. If you want to factor in the division thing to what deal you make, fine, but it is infinitely stupid to completely dismiss certain teams. If the Cards and White Sox know they must bid against the Yankees, the deals will be better.

#435 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

The idea that PA is upset a team could trade Manny to the Yankees is amusing.

If you are so worried about him becoming a Yankee, then fucking sign him!

Otherwise, trade him for the best deal you can and stop worrying about it.

For the love of god, the man has to go!

I don't think signing him is an option. I've thought for years now that he wouldn't resign here. ARod was his idol, he's going to want the mega contract from one of the huge market teams.

I think he's done well not whining about it, and playing out his contracted term, but I don't think this kind of market/team is what he wants. They could offer to overpay and I STILL don't think he'd sign here. Some guys are just like that...but it's on them to know these things, and they should have tried to force an extension down his throat for the past 3 years. Then they would have known and could have dealt him with more control left and more value.

@JeremyMStrain

#436 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

If Machado really wants to go to the Yankees he'll have to have an opt out after 2-3 years so he can go to his real dream team, the Marlins, right?    :shock:

• Matt_P likes this

#437 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

I'm sure he'd love to play for Miami but that's not happening any time soon. Maybe if they're able to rebuild and become relevant again he'd consider, but for now, NYY is as close to Miami as he'll get. Large DR (and Hispanic) population in NYY and of course there's the A-Rod stuff, and A-Rod works for the Yankees. The only issue I see is the media when he dogs it but I am sure they'll embrace him for everything else.

It's all but written at this point but Angelos is going to take his ball and go home.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#438 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

I don't think signing him is an option. I've thought for years now that he wouldn't resign here. ARod was his idol, he's going to want the mega contract from one of the huge market teams.

I think he's done well not whining about it, and playing out his contracted term, but I don't think this kind of market/team is what he wants. They could offer to overpay and I STILL don't think he'd sign here. Some guys are just like that...but it's on them to know these things, and they should have tried to force an extension down his throat for the past 3 years. Then they would have known and could have dealt him with more control left and more value.

It may not happen...but here’s what we know..the orioles haven’t put the contract on the table, the one we all (except Maybe dude) know he will get.

So yea maybe he does still turn it down. But you haven’t made him think about it either. If he turns down a 10-12 year deal that averages 32-35M and includes multiple opt outs, so be it.

But since that has happened and since it won’t happen, we have no idea what he would do.

#439 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,522 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

It may not happen...but here’s what we know..the orioles haven’t put the contract on the table, the one we all (except Maybe dude) know he will get.

So yea maybe he does still turn it down. But you haven’t made him think about it either. If he turns down a 10-12 year deal that averages 32-35M and includes multiple opt outs, so be it.

But since that has happened and since it won’t happen, we have no idea what he would do.

Falls on both sides.  If he wanted to be here, he could have engaged.

If he and his Agent were not being responsive, you still could have provided your best offer.

The most logical conclusion imo is what you said yesterday... the O's decided they didn't want to give him the contract it would take, and Manny didn't want to be here either.

Based on that... he definitely should have been traded last Winter.

#440 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

Falls on both sides. If he wanted to be here, he could have engaged.

If he and his Agent were not being responsive, you still could have provided your best offer.

The most logical conclusion imo is what you said yesterday... the O's decided they didn't want to give him the contract it would take, and Manny didn't want to be here either.

Based on that... he definitely should have been traded last Winter.

Right...I get that you wanted to try and win in 2017 but at the end of the day, you could have changed the direction of your organization by making 2 trades...and they failed to do it even though they knew the direction the team was headed in and what the outcome would be.

Just terrible long term planning...per usual.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=