• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

CBS Sports: MLB Hot Stove Rumors: Orioles reportedly listening to Manny Machado trade calls
https://www.cbssport...do-trade-calls/

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Here's how they're listening...

man-putting-fingers-ears-young-30964897.

• Dr. FLK, BobPhelan and fishteacher like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

The Cardinals make a lot of sense.

#4 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

Go for it. Maybe they've figured out they can't realistically fill the SP deficit this year. 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Pass.  Meet his number.

• DuffMan likes this

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

I would hope by now they've already decided whether they want to meet his number or not.

• RavenChamp likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

I would hope by now they've already decided whether they want to meet his number or not.

No way they don’t know. As incompetent as these guys are, they can’t be this bad that they don’t know by now.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

105.7 had Duquette on this morning.

Rob Long posed this question....  (it's not an exact quote.. I'm paraphrasing.)

Long: "If an offer is made to a player, it's on the player to decide if they want to accept. If an offer has not been made, it's on the team. In regards to Machado and Schoop, the ball is in the court of whom?"

Duquette: "It's on both the team and the players to decide what they want."

Effectively Duquette said both are great players, WE have to decide what we want to do in-terms of a contract.

That sure sounded to me like Duquette was saying that it's up to Angelos to decide if offers will be provided (and then up to the players to decide if they want to accept).

If I've read that right, that's just infuriating.  

I'm 100% fine with trading Manny if you decide that is what you want to do... but it's not fair to the head of your Baseball Ops department, if he doesn't know on December 7th what Ownership is willing to commit to in-terms of potential extensions for the duo.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#9 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

I'd guess 400 mil guaranteed. If I was his agent, that's where I'd be. Could be constructed different ways.  

#10 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

105.7 had Duquette on this morning.

Rob Long posed this question....  (it's not an exact quote.. I'm paraphrasing.)

Long: "If an offer is made to a player, it's on the player to decide if they want to accept. If an offer has not been made, it's on the team. In regards to Machado and Schoop, the ball is in the court of whom?"

Duquette: "It's on both the team and the players to decide what they want."

Effectively Duquette said both are great players, WE have to decide what we want to do in-terms of a contract.

That sure sounded to me like Duquette was saying that it's up to Angelos to decide if offers will be provided (and then up to the players to decide if they want to accept).

If I've read that right, that's just infuriating.  

I'm 100% fine with trading Manny if you decide that is what you want to do... but it's not fair to the head of your Baseball Ops department, if he doesn't know on December 7th what Ownership is willing to commit to in-terms of potential extensions for the duo.

After listening to enough of this stuff over the years, my sense is the FO and Agent have general parameters of a "deal". Those that make sense to the FO are presented to Angelos, and if approved, the details can be negotiated. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

The Cardinals make a lot of sense.

I think the Cardinals or Indians would probably top the list of interested teams.

I don't think most of the teams he lists get involved at all.  Everyone will check in, but that doesn't mean much.

I said before, I think the opportunity to get a big package is centered around a window to work an extension.  You get that and it makes sense to give up more.

All of this is buffered by the reality I don't think they're serious about moving him...more of a general distraction and to see if anyone wants to overpay (they don't).

That said.....

...what you want from the Cardinals?

WANT:  Flaherty, O'Neill, 2 more lower guys and they take Trumbo?  I don't think they get close to that.

OFFER: Cardinals probably offer something like Wacha, Gyorko and Piscotty.

...what would you want from the Indians?

WANT: McKenzie, Nolan Jones and Benson

OFFER: I don't even know...probably not that.  Salazar, Chisenhall and Urshella? 

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

Plenty of teams will line up.

We learned today with Seattle that when there is a player out there you want, you find a way.

It’s crazy to believe several teams won’t be involved....even if it only ends up being 2-3 serious teams at the end(which is how all trades end up)

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Plenty of teams will line up.

Yeah, you keep confusing 2 things.  Interest versus commitment.

You'll have a lot of interest.  You won't have much commitment at the level you want.  It's not really a bidding war.

Manny's excellent, but you keep assuming it's just a pure talent grab and anyone does anything to increase that talent level.  It's just not true and it's continuously proven.  Sometimes you get a third team to go crazy (like AZ with Grienke).

fwiw, I think you're misreading the Gordon acquisition some.

Dipoto needed more IFA Pool and keeps going further to get it.  There are better CF fits for him (I was headed towards McCutchen and Pool or Jones and Pool), but he solved his CF concern in another way and nailed the bigger bird with another 1M in Pool.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Dude..just please stop engaging me on this.

When it comes to Manny, you are nothing more than a normal casual fan with a poor understanding of things.

You are blind to him, his situation, his worth, etc...it’s just not worth having any reasonable conversation when you just have no clue.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

Ha. Sure Rob, you know so much.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

Ha. Sure Rob, you know so much.

I know that teams will have to give up good talent to get him if they want him.

I know he will sign for more than the bs contract you keep saying.

I know that there are always a few teams that end up paying more than you think.

I know there are several teams out there that are in position to win and could use a third baseman or SS.

You don't seem to grasp these simple concepts when it comes to Manny.  You are clueless and always have been when it comes to Manny.  I don't know why but I will give you credit for being consistent in that regards.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Dude, I thought the take on Seattle made sense.

I thought of you when in-terms of Manny when I posted the above article.

Axisa mentioned a lot of teams that could viably step-up. Also closed by saying any package back would be strong.

I get the point you are making about 'kicking the tires, vs. willing to spend,' but I personally don't think that matters much.

If you (the O's) were committed to trading Manny, there would be numerous suitors willing to spend.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

Baseball America: Cards Top Prospects
https://www.baseball...EdpfLSSSWfLJ.97

Let's Go Tribe: Indians Top Prospects
https://www.letsgotr...spects-reviewed

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

I know that teams will have to give up good talent to get him if they want him.

I know he will sign for more than the bs contract you keep saying.

I know that there are always a few teams that end up paying more than you think.

I know there are several teams out there that are in position to win and could use a third baseman or SS.

You don't seem to grasp these simple concepts when it comes to Manny.  You are clueless and always have been when it comes to Manny.  I don't know why but I will give you credit for being consistent in that regards.

This is THE key. Championships are tough to win in any sport unless you are the NE Patriots and even they don't win even every other year. There are several teams out there that Manny could be just the piece to put them over the top for one magical run. The O's do not have a magical run facing them in 2018 regardless of the SP they go get (yes a miracle could occur but still).

Those teams would pay plenty even though they only would have him for potentially one year. 

But we all know what the O's are going to end up doing.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

Well, for all of the other rambling, I threw out a range of options for Manny to the Indians and Cardinals.

Could you get the WANT?

Would you take the OFFER?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=