26 replies to this topic

#21 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Chris.   Thanks for the effort.    To me, it seems like no one really questioned Schoop having the ability to play in the infield.   The real question whether he would be too big/slow for 2B and whether he would have to move to 3B.    I don't think anyone dismissed him out of hand as having a chance to stay at 2B.

With Mountcastle, I don't see anyone (except for your three guys) even mentioning the possibility as 2B as a landing spot for him.   I think everyone knew that Mountcastle has ZERO chance of staying at SS but the Orioles insisted on putting him there for developmental reasons.   The fact that Mountcastle played SS in HS means virtually zippo.    You found lots of bits on Schoop before he played in the majors.   Anything by Callis or anyone outside of this site who considers 2B a possibility?     

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

Chris.   Thanks for the effort.    To me, it seems like no one really questioned Schoop having the ability to play in the infield.   The real question whether he would be too big/slow for 2B and whether he would have to move to 3B.    I don't think anyone dismissed him out of hand as having a chance to stay at 2B.

With Mountcastle, I don't see anyone (except for your three guys) even mentioning the possibility as 2B as a landing spot for him.   I think everyone knew that Mountcastle has ZERO chance of staying at SS but the Orioles insisted on putting him there for developmental reasons.   The fact that Mountcastle played SS in HS means virtually zippo.    You found lots of bits on Schoop before he played in the majors.   Anything by Callis or anyone outside of this site who considers 2B a possibility?     

Yeah that's pretty much how I remember the Schoop talk going. It became mostly a 2B/3B conversation at some point, but he really made some great improvements as he moved through AAA to the ML with his work around the bag. I know it was a point of the debate about the time we were all debating Headley, and the debate Rob and I got into was if it was better to get the established 3B or keep Schoop and see what he develops into cause they played similar positions.

I can't talk about Ryan a lot, I saw him twice last year in Bowie, but I was just there with my girls and spent much more time explaining positions and what plays to make in certain situations (my 9 year old is a fastpitch P/2B) than watching the players. I tried to keep a little eye on him and Edwin but don't really remember much standing out. I do remember commenting that INF defense was far from watching Manny and Schoop, just didn't have the range or quickness out there, but I don't remember if that was directed at Ryan or just the team in general. I feel like if he was THAT BAD that he obviously couldn't play SS/2B it would have stood out as much as if he were really good out there. Just vague impressions though, wasn't paying much attention.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Questions on his ability to play the INF wasn't what I said I remembered though... I said there were questions about him in regards to 2nd.  I mean the 2nd link above is the BP article from May 1st, 2013 saying the widely held opinion was that he belonged at 3rd.

Jeremy seemed to be the one most convinced Schoop was a 2nd baseman fwiw.

Also fwiw... in addition to Callis, Goldstein, Tucker etc...   we also had podcasts at the time with interviews with Faleris, and Mayo... my recollection was that they also didn't think he'd stick at 2nd... but I can't find that audio, so w/e there.

Regarding Mountcastle, I'll do the work and get some others to weigh in.

#24 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Somebody talk to me about Brallan Perez! Admittedly, I only like him because he walks more than he K's. Seems like he's got no power whatsoever - I assume no projectability whatsoever. 

#25 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Somebody talk to me about Brallan Perez! Admittedly, I only like him because he walks more than he K's. Seems like he's got no power whatsoever - I assume no projectability whatsoever. 

I don't know how to break this to you, but Brallan Perez was taken in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft.  He gone.

#26 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

And I disagree about second. Yes, it’s important in regards to DPs but with shifts and every righty(way more righties than lefties) trying to pull the ball and hit homers, second base has been devalued imo.

C, third, SS and Cf are more important imo.

Jon Schoop had 790 total chances at 2B.   

Manny Machado had 425 total chances at 3B.

Adam Jones had 341 total chances in CF.

We can debate who had to make tougher plays and how often but there is no doubt that the 2B is involved in a lot more plays.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

Jon Schoop had 790 total chances at 2B.   

Manny Machado had 425 total chances at 3B.

Adam Jones had 341 total chances in CF.

We can debate who had to make tougher plays and how often but there is no doubt that the 2B is involved in a lot more plays.

How is that broken down into balls hit at the player (position)?

Schoop handles a lot of relays, DP, etc...I am talking more about batted balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=