513 replies to this topic

#121 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

Plank isn't donating much of anything right now. UA took a massive hit last year in their financials, and Plank himself is being investigated by the board for some potential shenanigans.

He also spends a ton of money on his girlfriend on MSNBC from what I read.

#122 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

It would be a great move for the short term and a terrible move for the long term.

Unless he were to plan on being coach for a set period--three-to-five-years maybe--and has an idea of someone he can bring in as his #2 who has recruiting skills (and the desire Williams doesn't) and can be groomed into being as good a teacher/game coach to be the long-term successor. That's about the only way it would really work.

Otherwise, he brings a short burst of euphoric nostalgia that would get fans (and probably some donors) back. But it doesn't change the reasons he left, on his end and the program/booster/fanbase end, and pushes the problems down the road with no solutions.

Gary is 74. I don't see him coming back.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#123 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

So....looks like Bill Self's days at KU might be numbered.

With the start of fall practices just about upon us, it would seem a bit late for them to try and make a move on Turgeon (if they are inclined to have interest in him under any circumstances). And if they replace Self right now, have to think any coach will just view it as being a placeholder until KU gets their guy next offseason, making it less appealing.

But....maybe they look at Turgeon after the upcoming season? (Especially if MD lives up to preseason expectations, and that's a big IF)

#124 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

With the start of fall practices just about upon us, it would seem a bit late for them to try and make a move on Turgeon (if they are inclined to have interest in him under any circumstances). And if they replace Self right now, have to think any coach will just view it as being a placeholder until KU gets their guy next offseason, making it less appealing.

But....maybe they look at Turgeon after the upcoming season? (Especially if MD lives up to preseason expectations, and that's a big IF)

Turge should just leave on his own to go coach his alma mater. No hard feelings from me if he doesn't finish his contract.

@BSLMikeRandall

#125 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Maryland is a top 5 team this season, and Kansas is likely headed to some sort of probation. Granted, it's his alma mater, but he'd be nuts to consider it, whether KU is interested or not. 

@beginthebegin71

#126 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

Maryland is a top 5 team this season, and Kansas is likely headed to some sort of probation. Granted, it's his alma mater, but he'd be nuts to consider it, whether KU is interested or not. 

Sometimes getting to coach your alma mater is too good a draw, even when you're taking over a program in trouble. It happens.

ap02040103037_c0-160-1498-1033_s1770x103

• SBTarheel likes this

#127 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Sometimes getting to coach your alma mater is too good a draw, even when you're taking over a program in trouble. It happens.

ap02040103037_c0-160-1498-1033_s1770x103

Point taken. 

@beginthebegin71

#128 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,129 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

Also, I love Maryland, but we're talking about Kansas basketball.  One of the few clear steps up in terms of programs from where Maryland should be, yet alone where we currently are.

#129 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

I don't think Turgeon leaves now, but I certainly could see him going to KU after the season.

Okay with me.  

@mikeghg

#130 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

I don't think Turgeon leaves now, but I certainly could see him going to KU after the season.

Okay with me.  

Agree with all you say. I think Kansas probably just promotes an assistant to be an interim if they fire Self before the season. Either that or see if Larry Brown is willing to coach for one more year to bridge the gap to one of his many proteges.

#131 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Agree with all you say. I think Kansas probably just promotes an assistant to be an interim if they fire Self before the season. Either that or see if Larry Brown is willing to coach for one more year to bridge the gap to one of his many proteges.

I thought of Brown too.  I think he coached in Italy, so they may be able to get him to do it.

@mikeghg

#132 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,416 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

It's time.  This should be Turgeon's last year. 

• You Play to Win the Game, glenn__davis, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

#133 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,550 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

Yep, I'm done. Real good guy, mediocre coach. Good recruiter. Respect him, thank him for what he did here, big shoes to fill, but MD needs to be better. Should be better.

#134 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,678 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:28 AM

He doesn’t know what he’s doing.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#135 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

I really want another program to support

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#136 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Should be, but IMO, will not be.  

@mikeghg

#137 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Unfortunately, I think they are going to have to flop a lot harder than they have so far for that to actually happen. It will have to be bad enough that the boosters put up all the money to buy him out, because with the Durkin buyout + future facilities investments that were recently announced, Damon Evans' recent "sustainability" statement with regard to athletic department debt would really be put to the test with an additional $7.7 million you will pay to a coach who isn't coaching.

#138 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:06 AM

Unfortunately, I think they are going to have to flop a lot harder than they have so far for that to actually happen. It will have to be bad enough that the boosters put up all the money to buy him out, because with the Durkin buyout + future facilities investments that were recently announced, Damon Evans' recent "sustainability" statement with regard to athletic department debt would really be put to the test with an additional $7.7 million you will pay to a coach who isn't coaching.

Plus Evans has given Turgeon a lot of credit for tireless fund raising to get the new basketball buildings.

@mikeghg

#139 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,535 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

Dont root against the kids but Id be lying if I didnt say a part of me wants the team to collapse. Just so they dont give Turgeon an extension and at least consider firing him this offseason.

#140 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:16 AM

Miss the tourney and Turgeon gets fired or make the tourney and keep him?

If those are the 2 options, which one do you choose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=