513 replies to this topic

#61 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Sure, he should and like I said, I think if you want to fire because of tourney resume, that’s fine.

But I stand by my earlier point...you aren’t going to bring in someone who will win more than 80% of their games.

But someone who gives you more tourney wins? That’s very possible.

I don’t think MD should ever be out of the tourney. I don’t think they should have been worse than a team that is a borderline top 25 school. I think they should usually be a top 20 team.

I think every year they should be a team that is legitimately capable of getting into the second weekend of the NCAAT and I believe that they should be a team capable of a F4 run every once in a while.

If you arent that, you should have a different coach.

That's basically what I am saying.  He can win against the mediocre talented teams or the occasional down year from an Ohio State.

He should be able to do that.

He's got the 9th ranked recruiting class on the floor right now and they likely won't make the tournament.  That's unacceptable.

They should be a 20-25th ranked school when they are young and they should be a perennial sweet 16 threat when they are more mature.  They're none of that under Turgeon.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this
@Miller192

#62 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:09 AM

Sean Miller might be getting fired.

Pick him up!
@BSLMikeRandall

#63 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

Sean Miller might be getting fired.

Pick him up!

Not a chance 

@mikeghg

#64 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

Why did people assume we'd have the money to get rid of him? Obviously we don't. So that was a miscalculation and makes this decision a horrible mistake. Unless watching the Tournament at home with Terps players every year is in vogue on the recruiting trail these days.

They have the money. They had to pay $50M to leave the ACC (unless it was negotiated to a lower amount, can't remember). What did they do, save up for 50 years? They can find a couple mil to serve Turge his walking papers if they wanted to. The books, what they tell the public, and what they actually have are probably vastly different.
@BSLMikeRandall

#65 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,483 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I think I'm done until the administration decides basketball is important enough. If they don't think it is, then it isn't. There's enough college hoops to go around. Enjoy watching the 287th ranked tempo the next few years and an NIT ceiling.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

They have the money. They had to pay $50M to leave the ACC (unless it was negotiated to a lower amount, can't remember). What did they do, save up for 50 years? They can find a couple mil to serve Turge his walking papers if they wanted to. The books, what they tell the public, and what they actually have are probably vastly different.

MD paid $31.4M to leave.  Substantial for sure.

They left the ACC to begin with, because the program was broke.  Not even, but under water.

The first couple of years in the Big Ten, they weren't getting full shares.

Things are improving (have to be as additional Big Ten $ is now coming in)... but this idea that they just have great means is a stretch imo.

Could they probably scrape the money together if they absolutely had to? Yeah, I'm sure they'd find away.

But Turgeon running a boring offense, and this lost '17-'18 season isn't enough to convince everyone needed at a University like that, that change is absolutely necessary.  Others will point to the 3 tournament appearances prior to this year. The Big Ten overall records. The recruiting.... and when the advocate of pushing Turgeon out mentions attendance, others will mention the cost is high.

The end result will be that he's got years left on the deal, and they will give him more rope.

They've had to beg / borrow / steal for the new Cole Field House, and they still don't have that fully funded.
That's significant imo.

Turgeon's making $2.55M per year in base salaries.

'18-'19: $2.55M
'19-'20: $2.55M

'20-'21: $2.55M

'21-'22: $2.55M
'22-'23: $2.55M

= $12.75M owed

If the university fires Turgeon, it would owe him 50 percent of his remaining base and supplemental salaries within 60 days, and the remainder of his contract’s base and supplemental salaries in increments through the end of his term. He’d only miss out on bonuses he hadn’t yet reached, plus obvious chances to earn outside income as Maryland’s head coach.

So, if they fired him today... they'd have to come up with $6.375M within 60 days.

$6.375M + the new coach? = ?

Georgia hired Tom Crean recently. That was for $3M a year.

Maryland's going to fire Turgeon.... pay him $6.375M in the next 60 days to leave....  and hire a new Coach at at-least $1M annually?

If the new AD comes on, and desperately wants his 'guy'....   (and has some innovative fund raising in his pocket)... maybe.

Don't see it though.

I'll owe you drinks if it happens.

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,483 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

That's what is the most sad. That this level of performance... missing the tournament this often is acceptable. Understood the leash for Gary. Glad he got to "retire". But Turgeon doesn't deserve this leash. This program should be in the Tournament all but 2-3 years per decade.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

That's what is the most sad. That this level of performance... missing the tournament this often is acceptable. Understood the leash for Gary. Glad he got to "retire". But Turgeon doesn't deserve this leash. This program should be in the Tournament all but 2-3 years per decade.

Maryland should be in the tournament every year.

They should be S16 team or better every other year. 

They should always be Top 4 in Conference (means less since there not balanced schedules)... but idea of annually competing for regular season and conference tournament titles.

They should a Top 25 team annually.

That's the minimum imo. 

Those expectations aside,  it's a lot of $ to move out Turgeon, and bring in someone else.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Last night rightfully ticked off a lot of people.

Not enough that it changes any of the realities talked about in this thread; but enough to remind people why they've been apathetic about the program.

Had Huerter and Jackson stayed; might have been looking at a 'big' year.

As is, you've got enough talent to get to the Tournament.

A conference road loss is not the end of the world, but that was a horrible showing down the stretch last night.

Ton of conference games this year, has to do work in conference play, and get MD back to the dance or the seat is going to start getting very hot.

*Of course what has happened on the football side... the pending payout to the family, to Durkin, to hiring Locksley and a new staff... that can't be ignored either.

#70 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

*Of course what has happened on the football side... the pending payout to the family, to Durkin, to hiring Locksley and a new staff... that can't be ignored either.

I was thinking the same thing. The costly football debacle has probably provided Turgeon with even more undeserved job security, unless some donors are willing to ante up big time.

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,829 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

The freshman are better than expected. The team should be in the tournament and if they aren't it will be due to Turgeon.

He's never had a team here that ended the year better than it started (maybe his first team that had almost no talent, he did a good job that year). That's the biggest evidence against his coaching abilities, IMO. Stylistically, I am at least encouraged that he is playing at a higher tempo this year, though it is still not what anyone should consider an uptempo team.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#72 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

I don't recall what the points vs minutes elapsed low point was... but I know I'm beyond tired of watching these long scoring droughts that seem to happen EVERY game, or at least every remotely big game. And that last shot at the buzzer was a perfect summary of the last 8 or 9 minutes and the last many years. Not enough movement, nobody set a screen to get a clear look, a bad shot with time running out... so old. I wish they valued shooters more in College Park.

#73 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:09 AM

Word in the Testudo Times comments section is that Turgeon is putting out feelers in the Midwest.  No idea how accurate it is but multiple posters there have indicated it's true.  I hope so.  For him to leave on his own accord would be awesome.  I'll support this program through and through but he truly has taken a lot of the fun out of it.  It's almost a chore to watch this team play basketball.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:27 AM

Word in the Testudo Times comments section is that Turgeon is putting out feelers in the Midwest.  No idea how accurate it is but multiple posters there have indicated it's true.  I hope so.  For him to leave on his own accord would be awesome.  I'll support this program through and through but he truly has taken a lot of the fun out of it.  It's almost a chore to watch this team play basketball.

Him leaving on his own is the absolute best case scenario. 

It's hard for me to picture him doing that. 

He isn't going to leave MD for a program with MD's capabilities.... and if he stays, MD isn't in a position to fire him. 
So, he'd have to be miserable himself, and just believe he'd be happier elsewhere.

• glenn__davis likes this

#75 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:54 AM

Him leaving on his own is the absolute best case scenario. 

It's hard for me to picture him doing that. 

He isn't going to leave MD for a program with MD's capabilities.... and if he stays, MD isn't in a position to fire him. 
So, he'd have to be miserable himself, and just believe he'd be happier elsewhere.

Well that's kind of the mindset - that he's more of a midwest kind of guy, isn't really thrilled here at MD, and would just like to move on.  At least that's what's presented there, again to be taken with a giant grain of salt.

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:55 AM

If that's the case its great.

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,829 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:30 AM

Turgeon walking away would be a very positive thing, IMO. He seems like a good guy and I'd wish him well, but I'm ready for a new direction at head coach. If the university had the funds, or the boosters financed it, I'd make a move. If Turgeon and the university can reach a mutual agreement to go their separate ways, that's great.

#78 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

Turgeon makes $2.5Mish a year. Maryland can 100% fire him and foot the bill for two coaches since colleges are money printing machines.

Consider that Coack K and Bill Self make about double what Turgeon does, Calipari makes triple...oh, and those schools suck at football too, since football funds a lot of schools budgets. Turgeon is the 14th highest paid coach.

Plank has a billion dollars in a rainy day fund. He could throw $10M toward the effort and recoup it before I finish writing this post. 

You could hand pick any talented mid-major school and pay that coach a fraction of what you paid Turgeon. 

Florida Gulf Coast pays Joe Dooley $277K. Give him $1M a year and he'll be ecstatic. Pay $3.5M a year for a new coach, or $2.5M per for the same garbage? Mind you, this amount of money is no issue for big universities. 

http://sports.usatod...sketball/coach/

Side note, how is Roy Williams only the 24th highest paid coach in basketball? What? 

I agree. I wouldn't let $12.5 million stand in the way of getting rid of this lousy coach. Maryland basketball is a cash cow and was ranked 10th last year in generated revenues by Forbes. If you want to keep him around for another year to lessen the hurt, then fine. But he should be on notice effective 2020.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,829 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

I agree. I wouldn't let $12.5 million stand in the way of getting rid of this lousy coach. Maryland basketball is a cash cow and was ranked 10th last year in generated revenues by Forbes. If you want to keep him around for another year to lessen the hurt, then fine. But he should be on notice effective 2020.

Yes, it's fun to magically pretend that the athletic department has the funds to not only fire Durkin and pay him off, but to fire Turgeon as well, then pay big dollars to another coaching candidate.

It's just not realistic. Anyone arguing that the department has the funds is either misinformed or guessing incorrectly.

It would take a booster being willing to fund his buyout to be able to afford it at this point. Or something so terrible that the economic fallout is more palatable than keeping him on. Something like Durkin. Not just disappointing results for the program.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. He's hardly a hot commodity, so he'd almost certainly be walking away from a lot of money based on where he'd be likely to find his next job. Plus isn't one of his kids playing for Catholic U now? Would think he and his wife wouldn't want to voluntarily move far away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=