#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,487 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:18 PM

That Georgetown game in 2015 was one of my favorite moments as a Maryland student. I'm all for bringing the series back. It doesn't have to be a "rivalry", but with a team like that in your backyard it makes too much sense not to be playing them every year.

I was there and it was a really great atmosphere. And a nice win.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#62 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:26 PM

As it stands, does Maryland have any real basketball rivalries? They haven't played Duke in a decade, played UVA what, twice since leaving the ACC? Nothing has materialized in the Big Ten because both of the more local teams typically suck butts.

So you'd like to get something going for the fans, maybe Georgetown is it. And if not, at least it's a quality OOC opponent every year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,487 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:32 PM

I mean their are plenty of Big Ten teams I badly want to beat when we play them, but I’m a die hard. There are currently no rivalries the casual Terps fan could point to.

Crazy Fran though? PSU? Michigan St? Juwan Howard? Purdue? I’m there for all that.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:41 PM

Wouldn't call the Big Ten games rivalries, but Ive grown to really dislike alot of them.

• Mike in STL likes this

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:44 PM

Don't get the "I am from Baltimore so why should I care" angle?

I am from EC so more Baltimore than DC but, as a Terp fan, you should want what's best for the program.  And playing GTown every year, and developing that rivalry, will help the program.  Especially if, like you said, we beat them enough and get an upper hand in recruiting.

I have no problem with playing them. 
I agree that a 'Power' team in close proximity, is a game that should be played.

If a rivalry develops, that's great. 

My only point is I'm tired of the 'renew the rivalry' angle. 
There is no rivalry when you've played 5 times in 43 years.

Again, if it develops, great.
And what I do like is adding another game to the schedule against a real school vs. some other lesser OOC little sister of the poor type.

#66 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:44 PM

Wouldn't call the Big Ten games rivalries, but Ive grown to really dislike alot of them.

Iowa. Ugh. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,150 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:46 PM

Wait when did Georgetown become a quality OOC opponent. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#68 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:55 PM

If they want a close proximity team that will be solid year in and out, they should lock in Villanova. Some distance, but still much closer than Morgantown and Charlottesville. I get the Philly/New York rivalries in other sports, but Baltimore seems to not be a part of that. D.C. is though, and there is no reason they can't be rivals.

It would take a while, but Nova would be the more quality team, year in and year out compared to GTown. They could get creative with the games. Play at the Palestra, play at the newly renovated Baltimore Arena (whatever it is now) Maybe they could sell out 20,000+ seats at Wells Fargo Arena in Philly with the two large fan bases.

GTown ain't what it used to be. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#69 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2023 - 04:08 PM

My only point is I'm tired of the 'renew the rivalry' angle. 

There is no rivalry when you've played 5 times in 43 years.

I actually think that part of the "rivalry" with Georgetown is rooted in the fact that they have barely played over the decades.

As badly as everyone wanted to see it, there was never a followup to the '93 game because John and Gary could never agree over where it should be played. And the sentiment continued even after both retired. Then you had Kevin Anderson trying to blackmail the series back into existence by refusing to play GT in every other sport. And CBB TV personalities making a big issue over the fact they don't play any time the topic comes up.

Even if they start playing every year, I think after the novelty wears off it becomes just another game, unless one comes along where both teams are ranked and it's a big deal for both in building a tournament resume.

• CantonJester likes this

#70 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,487 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2023 - 04:08 PM

They’re about to be IMO.

#71 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 09:45 PM

Sounds like they will be hosting South Alabama on Nov 25th this season.

#72 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:11 PM

Full slate confirmed

Screen-Shot-2023-07-20-at-5-09-24-PM.png

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

she/her

#73 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 10:59 AM

So now with 4 West Coast teams starting in '24-'25, and 18 total conference teams, this starts to really get weird. Do they increase the number of conference games from the current 20? Or do they stay at 20 and have you play only 3 teams twice a season?

I would hope some common sense would prevail (which is no sure thing considering who we're talking about) and they handle the West Coast trips for the eastern schools using a model where, for example, the Terps would go to LA one year and play USC/UCLA back-to-back and come home and be done with it. Then the next year come to the Pacific Northwest and play OR/WA in back-to-back games. That seems to make the most sense....but as always they will do what the TV networks say will make the most money.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRoseKatz like this

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,487 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2023 - 01:35 PM

Asheville has been on the short list for me the past few years. This could be a good excuse to sneak down there for a few days.
  • Mike B likes this

#75 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:08 PM

So now with 4 West Coast teams starting in '24-'25, and 18 total conference teams, this starts to really get weird. Do they increase the number of conference games from the current 20? Or do they stay at 20 and have you play only 3 teams twice a season?

I would hope some common sense would prevail (which is no sure thing considering who we're talking about) and they handle the West Coast trips for the eastern schools using a model where, for example, the Terps would go to LA one year and play USC/UCLA back-to-back and come home and be done with it. Then the next year come to the Pacific Northwest and play OR/WA in back-to-back games. That seems to make the most sense....but as always they will do what the TV networks say will make the most money.

It will be very interesting to see how they break down the divisions.

@mikeghg

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:52 PM

It will be very interesting to see how they break down the divisions.

I would prefer not to see divisions. You can break it into informal pods just for scheduling purposes (like the four west coast teams do home and home every year, and play the rest of the conference once each), but they should have just one set of standings.

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:15 PM

Maryland will reportedly play Davidson in the first round of the Asheville Championship.
@BSLZackKiesel

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:29 AM

Maryland will reportedly play Davidson in the first round of the Asheville Championship.

Kind of a home game for Davidson.  Not a bad thing for Maryland.

@mikeghg

#79 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 October 2023 - 01:31 PM

According to Kevin Willard, Maryland will participate in the 2024 Empire Classic next season. They’re also close to getting a game against Georgetown on the schedule for next year.
@BSLZackKiesel

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 10:18 PM

They need to come out and play Oregon next year on the same weekend as the football team so I can get a 2-for-1 on the Eugene road trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=