#41 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:00 AM

Maryland will play in the Asheville Championship Tournament next season. This MTE will take place from November 10-12 in Asheville, NC and feature Clemson, Davidson, and UAB.
@BSLZackKiesel

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 April 2023 - 09:06 AM

UAB is tough. Hopefully they have some roster turnover.

#43 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 April 2023 - 10:42 AM

Maryland's conference opponents for next season have been released.

Home: Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue

Away: Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Home & Away: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Rutgers

Not having to travel to Ann Arbor or West Lafayette is a major victory schedule-wise.

@BSLZackKiesel

#44 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:31 PM

Maryland will face off against Villanova as part of this year's Gavitt Games. This will be the first time they've faced the Wildcats since 2011.

@BSLZackKiesel

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:49 AM

Maryland will face off against Villanova as part of this year's Gavitt Games. This will be the first time they've faced the Wildcats since 2011.

Nice.  Maryland will get tested in the Non-Con schedule.  I believe it pays dividends later.

@mikeghg

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:50 AM

Hakim Hart gets to face his old friends.

@mikeghg

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:44 PM

Maryland will officially begin their 2023-24 season on November 7th at home against Mount St. Mary’s.
@BSLZackKiesel

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 03:52 PM

That 2011 game was in the early afternoon, the same day leading up to the Ravens playoff game in PIT. 

Friends and I were at the bar for 10 straight hours. Somehow remember all of it despite easily being a candidate to be kicked out of the place by the 3rd quarter. Only one of maybe three times I've been cut off at a bar. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#49 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:22 PM

Maryland will face off against Nicholls State on December 19th. Tevon Saddler will make his return to College Park as the first-year head coach of the Colonels.
@BSLZackKiesel

#50 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2023 - 11:47 AM

News—Georgetown and Maryland are in serious talks to revive their rivalry in men’s basketball with a multi-year on-campus series, targeting a start in the 2024-25 season, a source tells @CBSSports. There is hope the series can be at least four years. The schools last met in 2016.

she/her

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 12:29 PM

News—Georgetown and Maryland are in serious talks to revive their rivalry in men’s basketball with a multi-year on-campus series, targeting a start in the 2024-25 season, a source tells @CBSSports. There is hope the series can be at least four years. The schools last met in 2016.

As someone who doesn't live in DC, playing Georgetown means nothing to me. 

Kind of hard to call it a rivalry either...   game vs the Hoyas kicked off the Joe Smith era...   but they've played exactly 4 times since that '93 game...  5 times in 30 years. 

And before that '93 game, they hadn't played in 13 years before that. 

Only thing I 'care' about it is liking having another quality program on the schedule. 

I do get that there are MD fans who do care about this.

#52 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2023 - 12:53 PM

I mean Duke refuses to play them, WVU is a football-only rivalry, I guess you can do UVA regularly but idk how much UVA cares, this works as a local rivalry better than any other option now that Georgetown doesn't regularly play old Big East rivals like Syracuse    

she/her

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 02:50 PM

I mean Duke refuses to play them, WVU is a football-only rivalry, I guess you can do UVA regularly but idk how much UVA cares, this works as a local rivalry better than any other option now that Georgetown doesn't regularly play old Big East rivals like Syracuse    

Think your point here is that they should be looking to add / build rivalries where ever possible, and this fits as well as anything due to geography...  which is fine I guess, but just putting Georgetown on the schedule doesn't make them a rival. 

If they stay on the schedule annually for decades, and you are battling head-to-head for every DC recruit... then maybe it develops naturally.  But there's nothing there currently, and developing a basketball 'rival' with an OOC opponent is pretty rare. 

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:03 PM

Ive never understood any Georgetown rivalry. Maybe IM too young. I remember the Joe Smith game but that was essentially my introduction to MD basketball. If there was something there in the 80s then so be it but that was a long long time ago at this point

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:08 PM

Ive never understood any Georgetown rivalry. Maybe IM too young. I remember the Joe Smith game but that was essentially my introduction to MD basketball. If there was something there in the 80s then so be it but that was a long long time ago at this point

I mean I get that the names matter to those in DC...  but you can't play 5x in 43 years and say there's a rivalry. Maybe one develops if you play annually. But being OOC, it can only matter so much.  Local bragging rights, recruiting maybe. 

Just the Baltimore in me tired of hearing about how great it will be to play the Hoyas regularly. 

#56 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:11 PM

The bottom line is this needs to be some sort of rivalry rekindled.

Let's face it, we had some good rivalries in the ACC but since we have left nothing on the hoops side has really stuck in terms of a rivalry. Michigan State? Maybe? Doubtful.

This is a (former) elite hoops school looking to reclaim past glory and plays 5 miles from us as the crow flies. It needs to be played every year.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I guarantee if they do this thing long enough some bad blood will arise from it -- which we need.
  • CantonJester likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#57 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:12 PM

I mean I get that the names matter to those in DC...  but you can't play 5x in 43 years and say there's a rivalry. Maybe one develops if you play annually. But being OOC, it can only matter so much.  Local bragging rights, recruiting maybe. 

Just the Baltimore in me tired of hearing about how great it will be to play the Hoyas regularly. 

Don't get the "I am from Baltimore so why should I care" angle?

I am from EC so more Baltimore than DC but, as a Terp fan, you should want what's best for the program.  And playing GTown every year, and developing that rivalry, will help the program.  Especially if, like you said, we beat them enough and get an upper hand in recruiting.

• You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this

@bopper33

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:13 PM

Asked another way, Morgantown, WV is nowhere near as close in proximity.  Do you not care about that football rivalry because you're not from Western Maryland?

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

@bopper33

#59 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:18 PM

That Georgetown game in 2015 was one of my favorite moments as a Maryland student. I'm all for bringing the series back. It doesn't have to be a "rivalry", but with a team like that in your backyard it makes too much sense not to be playing them every year.

• You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:18 PM

I like it. Good time for this with them nailing their HC hire. Good times ahead for both programs hopefully, which will only add fuel to this thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=