#41 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Caps-Pens in an entertaining tilt last night.  Playoffs are a long way off, but don't be surprised if you see these two teams go at it again in another 2nd round playoff matchup.

#42 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Caps-Pens in an entertaining tilt last night.  Playoffs are a long way off, but don't be surprised if you see these two teams go at it again in another 2nd round playoff matchup.

Where the Caps lose in 7 because they absolutely suck against pittsburgh in the playoffs/2nd round? 

• Dupin likes this

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Where the Caps lose in 7 because they absolutely suck against pittsburgh in the playoffs/2nd round? 

They just don't do well in do or die games period. Doesn't matter who it is. You put any other team in the league in that series and they don't get to 7 against PIT. Stupid playoff seeding breaks what SHOULD have been the Eastern Conference Finals the past couple years.

@JeremyMStrain

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Would anyone have been satisfied or any less dissatisfied if the past two exits occurred a round later? I definitely wouldn't be.
  • Dupin likes this

#45 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

Would anyone have been satisfied or any less dissatisfied if the past two exits occurred a round later? I definitely wouldn't be.

It's championship or bust with Ovechkin at this point.

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

So you're saying you have the expectation your team, out of all 31 teams will win the title every year, and nothing else is acceptable?

I read an article from a soldier today, staying out of the politics part, but he touched on how our society has become this all or nothing, obsessed and letting their whole mood and life be influenced SO much for our favorite sports teams, and we've lost touch with what's really important. (Spoiler alert, it's not if your team wins the championship or not)

@JeremyMStrain

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

So you're saying you have the expectation your team, out of all 31 teams will win the title every year, and nothing else is acceptable?

I read an article from a soldier today, staying out of the politics part, but he touched on how our society has become this all or nothing, obsessed and letting their whole mood and life be influenced SO much for our favorite sports teams, and we've lost touch with what's really important. (Spoiler alert, it's not if your team wins the championship or not)

I'm saying the Caps need to win a damn Cup. Don't be difficult.
  • Dupin likes this

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm saying the Caps need to win a damn Cup. Don't be difficult.

I know. I'm just saying we could be bottom feeders not making the playoffs every year. It could always be worse.

@JeremyMStrain

#49 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

They just don't do well in do or die games period. Doesn't matter who it is. You put any other team in the league in that series and they don't get to 7 against PIT. Stupid playoff seeding breaks what SHOULD have been the Eastern Conference Finals the past couple years.

The only teams we can't seem to beat anymore are the Rangers and the Penguins. The Islanders haven't been good since the mid 90's, but even then they too owned us like slaves. 

#50 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

1st round rematch tonight between the Caps and Leafs!

#51 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

Well damn, an already thin blue line will be without their best DMan in Matt Niskanen.  Suffered a hand injury in the NJ game and will be out for the next 10 games.  

I knew Alzner and Shattenkirk would be gone in FA due to cap constraints, but this really highlights why it was a mistake in not protecting Schmidt in the expansion draft.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Well damn, an already thin blue line will be without their best DMan in Matt Niskanen.  Suffered a hand injury in the NJ game and will be out for the next 10 games.  

I knew Alzner and Shattenkirk would be gone in FA due to cap constraints, but this really highlights why it was a mistake in not protecting Schmidt in the expansion draft.

The real root in that is that Bowey and Djoos are better than Schmidt. They were really trying to commit to mixing in some youth (already heard them talking about grooming Bowey for when Carlson leaves) and were stuck with Orpik's deal. So extending Orlov meant they were committing to him, and the really young kids over Alzner and Schmidt.

It sucks in the short term when you are thinking compete now, but if you think about the really big picture it makes sense. Hopefully Orpik's deal runs out in time to reinvest that money into another pending young guy, but we were always going to have to pick and choose and reload with cheaper young players if we want to try to extend things. Signing Kuzy and Oshie shows they are planning beyond this current window.

The mis step is that they should have traded MoJo and whoever else they are going to lose for a better young return vs. being forced into it and getting pennies on the dollar. Grubauer is another one that comes to mind. Then they are going to have to find some better value for the 3rd/4th lines instead of paying that $3m-4m premium for FA. That's where your roster gets bloated and costs you resigning players later.

I personally don't think we can afford to lose Carlson, but I guess they want him to prove he's that legit #1 D this year, hence playing him 30 min a game.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#53 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Agreed about Carlson,  I'll be damn pissed if they don't resign the real american hero!

Do you think they will try and make a trade for some D help or do you expect them to just roll with what they've got for now. Cap space is pretty scarce right now, so I'm not sure what they could do deal wise.

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Agreed about Carlson,  I'll be damn pissed if they don't resign the real american hero!

Do you think they will try and make a trade for some D help or do you expect them to just roll with what they've got for now. Cap space is pretty scarce right now, so I'm not sure what they could do deal wise.

They could trade salary for salary, but I don't know that it would make us any better. There are going to be growing pains until the young guys get more comfortable. Will also get dicey as Orpik breaks down from playing so many minutes.

They may be able to get a cheap defense only kind of veteran, which would help, but what to give up is the question. Maybe a goalie starved team would trade for Grubs? Then that means Copely is our backup until the russian is ready. Deal from the forwards to find a D? Sure...maybe...but who has enough value that won't upset our balance?

I don't know what the clear answer is right now aside from letting the young guys play and get better.

@JeremyMStrain

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

They could trade salary for salary, but I don't know that it would make us any better. There are going to be growing pains until the young guys get more comfortable. Will also get dicey as Orpik breaks down from playing so many minutes.

They may be able to get a cheap defense only kind of veteran, which would help, but what to give up is the question. Maybe a goalie starved team would trade for Grubs? Then that means Copely is our backup until the russian is ready. Deal from the forwards to find a D? Sure...maybe...but who has enough value that won't upset our balance?

I don't know what the clear answer is right now aside from letting the young guys play and get better.

If that's the case then they need to let those guys play. I get that there will be growing pains, but some of the minutes I've seen from the top 4 d has been too high. Season is too long to let those guys log those kind of minutes.  Obviously in the playoffs I would expect to see those higher minute totals, but for now I would like to see the minutes distributed more evenly.  

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Washington Post: John Carlson’s ice time is climbing. Can his reputation ascend as well?

https://www.washingt...m=.75546ce3049a

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Washington Post: Capitals’ scuffling penalty kill ‘can’t kill anything’ right now 

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Washington Post: For Capitals rookies, there’s playing in the NHL, and then life as an NHL player
https://www.washingt...m=.546714456f52

#59 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Not a clean start to the season for us, but I will take a thrashing of the Pens any time, any place.

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

First game I've watched this season. Was delicious. Fuck I hate them.

• DuffMan and Dupin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=