#1 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

I admire and respect Ovi, hell of a goal scorer and tough as nails. I'm intrigued about the prospects of sending him to Vegas. 

What is on the horizon for the Caps this off season?

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

So you want to stop the franchise from punching you in the nuts by shooting it in the head?

@DJ_McCann

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

So you want to stop the franchise from punching you in the nuts by shooting it in the head?

Do you watch hockey? You think trading Ovi would be shooting it in the head? The core is excellent without him.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

You realize Trotz moved the "head" to the 3rd line because he was so unimpressive, right? What'd you think of his performance last night? I don't hate the guy, I'm a big fan actually. He's done so much for the franchise. But we can't afford to be sentimental about it. He's definitely declining, and health is going to be an issue in my opinion, moving forward. He's taken and given a ton of abuse.

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

Interesting topic for sure, that I'll join at some point but not now.

tumblr_mnbfz2VbP21rzttf8o6_250.gif

• DJ MC and Dupin like this

#6 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Part of me wants to say we need to get Oshie back since he seemed to click well with Backstrom and Ovechkin, but that line got broken up in the last series so now I'm not sure.  I also don't feel like he did much in the post season.

Hopefully the expansion draft screws everyone's depth so we have another easy path to bowing out of the playoffs prematurely next year.

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

Still not ready to talk offseason :(  but I did want to pass along some awesome news.

Caps are playing the Leafs at Navy's Marine Corps Memorial Stadium next year!!!   This is pretty damn awesome and the football stadiums have better sight lines for these games.   Only issue is that the game is on March 3rd, so hopefully it's not 70 degrees for this game.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

Still not ready to talk offseason :(  but I did want to pass along some awesome news.

Caps are playing the Leafs at Navy's Marine Corps Memorial Stadium next year!!!   This is pretty damn awesome and the football stadiums have better sight lines for these games.   Only issue is that the game is on March 3rd, so hopefully it's not 70 degrees for this game.

Oshie just about has an extension done too.

@JeremyMStrain

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

And the Caps just lost Nate Shmidt to the expansion draft, that one stings.  Schmidt was cheap, fast, improving and probably going to be a top 4 D pairing.

• Bmore Irish likes this

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

That really sucks. Was hoping they'd be stupid and take Orpik.

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

That really sucks. Was hoping they'd be stupid and take Orpik.

PFFFTTTT hahahaha. I hope you're kidding. Orpik has negative value. Woulda taken a first and second to get them to THINK about that one.

Partially surprised it wasn't Grubs. I felt down the stretch like they were pumping Schmidt up so that LVK might take him. He was ok, but I don't think he's a top 4 on a contender. Too many defensive botches. Caps have a couple young defensemen to bring along, and wouldn't shock me if they went back to Alzner now. I just worry that could make it tight for Oshie, and I think he's the most important to resign. (Although I heard they pretty much had a done deal with him)

When I looked at numbers a few months ago, I think they had the money to make it work. Would have been easier if they bought out Orpik though. Hence why you don't give huge contracts to aging players.

@JeremyMStrain

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

That's why I said, do something stupid.

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

That's why I said, do something stupid.

Wishful thinking. GMGM isn't that dumb. Well...unless Erat is involved. But we all know how I felt about THAT trade.

@JeremyMStrain

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Wishful thinking. GMGM isn't that dumb. Well...unless Erat is involved. But we all know how I felt about THAT trade.

Ugh. Marty freaking Erat. What league was he in this year? Unreal.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Ugh. Marty freaking Erat. What league was he in this year? Unreal.

RIGHT??!!! Weren't you the one who had to talk ME down after that one? That was backwards day...but it's not like I wasn't right.

@JeremyMStrain

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Oshie official. 8 years $5.75 per. ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

8 years for a 30 year old?
  • DuffMan likes this

#18 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

The AAV is lower then I thought it would be, but 8 years!?! That's the kind of deal I would give to Kuzy not Oshie.  I was willing to go 4 maybe 5 years but this is pretty bad.

#19 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

Glad to have him back, but I don't think that deal will be good in the long run.

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

The AAV is lower then I thought it would be, but 8 years!?! That's the kind of deal I would give to Kuzy not Oshie.  I was willing to go 4 maybe 5 years but this is pretty bad.

He wanted a LONG term deal to keep him in one place for the rest of his career. Young family and all doesn't want to uproot and move them.

I don't mind it honestly, his style of player tends to still be productive til the late 30s. Justin Williams is a good example. Jagr is a freak so I won't comp him, but that style of quasi-physical scoring winger.

I don't know that a similar deal with get Kuzy signed...but I'd love for them to try.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=