#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

So might not have been the best choice with the fourth overall pick? (yes, I know it's hindsight)
@levineps

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Wow is all I have to say.

@AdamWolff

#4 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

So we should have traded low on him then?

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Think SD would still take Arrieta and Matusz for Headley?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

I guess you have to try to get value out of him somehow.

The .223/.281/.384 slash line against lefties is promising, I suppose.

@AdamWolff

#7 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

So we should have traded low on him then?

I wont jump to conclusions, as my initial thought is that this isn't a permanent move, but maybe something to help in the playoff push. But if it is permanent, then yes...Matusz should currently be in the Padres organization with Arrieta.
  • mweb08 likes this

#8 hslaw0905

hslaw0905
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Disappointing to say the least, but I agree, I can't imagine this is permanent. Buck seems to really want to pull whatever strings he can to go for it this year though.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Matusz will move to bullpen at Norfolk and could return to majors as reliever. #orioles like his numbers vs lefties

I may be wrong but I don't think this is more than just this year.

But this is idiotic.

You could have had Mijares for nothing.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I've been saying this for sometime and I got crushed for saying it, but maybe he just isn't that good or can't handle the MLB workload. We heard all about how he worked hard with Brady Anderson after slacking off last year. I know people don't like to hear their 4th overall pick isn't good, but that just might the case here.
@levineps

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

To me, this is not a move about 2013 and going forward.... I think this is a move about preparing for when the rosters expand in September.

Meaning, I'm guessing the O's are currently looking at Matusz and don't believe he will be starting for them in September, but do believe he could contribute to the team out of the pen.

Matusz's work over the Winter, and next Spring will give him another opportunity to crack the rotation.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...805&feedID=6876

An idea Matusz has previously brought up to the team, with the idea of helping the O's anyway he can.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...805&feedID=6876

An idea Matusz has previously brought up to the team, with the idea of helping the O's anyway he can.

Like I said in the other thread I think its a crafty move for this year but we should've traded him if this is a long term thing. Have to like the attitude from Brian on this at the least.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Think SD would still take Arrieta and Matusz for Headley?

Really not hindsight I just don't remember commenting after this news came out, but yes the O's should have done that deal. Matusz and Arrieta are highly unlikely to become reliable SPs here.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is a smart move. He wasn't going to contribute this season in the rotation, but he could be an asset in September out of the bullpen. I wouldn't give him a very long leash, though. If he struggles in his first few outings once he's up here, I don't continue going back to him, especially not in anything resembling a high-leverage situation.

And obviously he moves right back into the rotation after the season and tries to bounce back and make the club next season. This is clearly not a permanent move at this point. If it was, they would have traded him at the deadline.

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

So might not have been the best choice with the fourth overall pick? (yes, I know it's hindsight)

Nah, this is rewriting history. He started out knowing what he was doing and knowing how to do it. It was much later that he forgot how. Seems pretty clear to me that something about the coaching screwed him up, or at least failed to help him not screw up.

The pick was fine. What happened to him after he proved he was successful is the problem.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

1) Has anything been said yet that the Orioles still see him as a starter long term?

2). Will he be able to work on things pitching out of pen?

3). Why isn't Arrieta going to pen?

4). Do we really have confidence that guys like Gonzalez, Hunter and Tillman will end the year strong? If not, what's your back up plan?

#18 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Nah, this is rewriting history. He started out knowing what he was doing and knowing how to do it. It was much later that he forgot how. Seems pretty clear to me that something about the coaching screwed him up, or at least failed to help him not screw up.

The pick was fine. What happened to him after he proved he was successful is the problem.

Proved?

Matusz had 10 or so very good starts at the end of 2010 and has otherwise been dreadful. It's not like he had it all figured out. Baseball history is littered with pitchers who put together an excellent 1/3 of a season.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

I just asked Britt on twitter if they still view BMat as a starter. She said she doesnt think the Orioles know yet. That the emphasis is on winning now and they think Brian can help out of pen.

#20 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

If it's for just this season to go all in, fine. If it's for longer, you should've just looked to deal him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=