Photo

2018 Prospect Lists / Discussion (Other Sites)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

My top 10

1. Hays

2. Sisco

3. Mountcastle

4. Mullins

5. DL Hall

6. Wells

7. Santander

8. Scott

9. Akin (Sedlock looks like a BP arm)

10. Adam Hall. 

Harvey needs to get through a season for me to really have hope and be excited. 

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hays
Sisco
Harvey
Mountcastle
DL Hall
Sedlock
Akin
Scott
Mullins
Santander

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Not a bad list.

I guess Mountcastle will be the 3B when Manny goes to NYY.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

Not a bad list.

I guess Mountcastle will be the 3B when Manny goes to NYY.

They have Gabriez Torres just a year away. They aren’t blowing their load on Manny or Bryce Harper

#25 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

https://twitter.com/...443456833351681

https://www.baseball...LSYG0OZDBxSI.97

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Chris Lee has no business being on the list.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

People have always liked his stuff (even though he didn't miss bats when he was healthy)...if he has a return to full health, maybe he performs.

If you are a fan of his arm, I don't have a real issue with including him..but he would be lower for me with the health and recent performance.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

RotoGraphs: A Minor Review of 2017: Baltimore Orioles

https://www.fangraph...timore-orioles/

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

BP: Top 10 List

https://www.baseball...s-chance-sisco/

• Greg Pappas likes this

#30 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

I wonder if anyone knows for sure how tall Hall is? I've seen reports in many places that have him listed as 6' 2, yet see him listed as only 6' at BP. 

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

https://www.baseball...fo6dibUyv3Qi.97

3 O's On BA Top 100 List

Hays at 21!

Sisco at 68 and Mountcastle at 71.  As I said a few weeks ago, I felt Mountcastle would be comfortably in.

#32 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

https://www.baseball...fo6dibUyv3Qi.97

Hays at 21!

Sisco at 68 and Mountcastle at 71.  As I said a few weeks ago, I felt Mountcastle would be comfortably in.

It's so unbelievably simple, trade Machado, sign Schoop to a long term contract and put him at 3rd and have Mountcastle to 2nd.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Keith Law's rankings for 51-100 are also up - any ESPN insiders here who can look for O's?

http://www.espn.com/...ure-starts-here

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

It's so unbelievably simple, trade Machado, sign Schoop to a long term contract and put him at 3rd and have Mountcastle to 2nd.

Don't you think that Mountcastle is at least a year away, though? He had a .605 OPS at AA last year. Also, he has zero professional innings at 2B, so skipping AAA (and basically skipping AA, too) plus a learning new position would be a lot for him to handle.

I also remember Schoop completely sucking at 3B a few years ago, although I think he'd probably be good there with enough lead time.

#35 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Don't you think that Mountcastle is at least a year away, though? He had a .605 OPS at AA last year. Also, he has zero professional innings at 2B, so skipping AAA (and basically skipping AA, too) plus a learning new position would be a lot for him to handle.

I also remember Schoop completely sucking at 3B a few years ago, although I think he'd probably be good there with enough lead time.

I just meant earmark him for 2nd, not necessarily put him there now, unless he earns the promotion.  I seem to think JS would be fine at 3B, certainly has the arm and since it doesn't require a lot of range he should be fine, though that is just speculation on my part.

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

Apparently Law had Sisco at 53 and Hays at 79, with his top 50 still to be released.

http://www.baltimore...0122-story.html

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

Apparently Law had Sisco at 53 and Hays at 79, with his top 50 still to be released.

http://www.baltimore...0122-story.html

LOL

So, BA has Hays 21 and he has him 79.

This is exactly what I meant when I asked if we put too much weight into the prospect rankings.

Once you get past the first few guys, its all over the map.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

From the BA chat:

Did Hunter Harvey get any votes, and was his injury history the only factor which led to his omission?

J.J. Cooper: He was in consideration. When you ask if the injury history was the only factor, it depends on how broad you want to make "injury history." Even before he was shut down years ago, we had concerns (which we had heard from scouts) about his build and how durable he could be. He's thrown 144 innings in five pro seasons, so that will remain a concern. The stuff is really impressive, but the combination of a) durability questions b) no time above low Class A yet and c) the fact the stuff truly came together for him again for only a short stint at the end of the 2017 season leaves him off this Top 100. If he has a healthy, impressive season in 2018 I could see him easily cracking next year's list.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

LOL

So, BA has Hays 21 and he has him 79.

This is exactly what I meant when I asked if we put too much weight into the prospect rankings.

Once you get past the first few guys, its all over the map.

Hays is an interesting case because it's all about projection.  You like everything you've seen him do, but it's really easy to wonder if his approach to hitting will be completely untenable at the MLB level.

It wouldn't shock me if he improves in terms of allowing bad pitches to go by without swinging and becomes a very good hitter.  It also wouldn't shock me if he never does that and cannot hit a level to stick in the majors.  I've been thinking of his comparables as Miguel Tejada on the positive end - a guy who can swing at everything and still have success - and what we saw from Schoop prior to this past year when he was going poorly on the negative end - a guy who swings at everything and occasionally runs into a hittable pitch but overall is a liability offensively.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

Hays is an interesting case because it's all about projection.  You like everything you've seen him do, but it's really easy to wonder if his approach to hitting will be completely untenable at the MLB level.

It wouldn't shock me if he improves in terms of allowing bad pitches to go by without swinging and becomes a very good hitter.  It also wouldn't shock me if he never does that and cannot hit a level to stick in the majors.  I've been thinking of his comparables as Miguel Tejada on the positive end - a guy who can swing at everything and still have success - and what we saw from Schoop prior to this past year when he was going poorly on the negative end - a guy who swings at everything and occasionally runs into a hittable pitch but overall is a liability offensively.

So is every other prospect.

And Hays tore it up even as he moved up the ladder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=