Photo

2018 Prospect Lists / Discussion (Other Sites)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Balt Baseball: Wrapping up the minor league season

http://www.baltimore...mlb-promotions/

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

MASN: The O’s farm report: A take from Baseball America’s John Manuel
http://www.masnsport...ohn-manuel.html

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Lots of good comments in there.

#4 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

This does not comport with the view that the folks in the Warehouse are stupid... so I expect we won't see much commentary here about this...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

I think we have some nice position prospects.

I like the fact that some young, fast athletic athletic outfielders, coming through the system.

Just a suggestion, can someone in the front office, call Brian Roberts to see if he can teach them that walking lead technique, so that speed translates into some stolen bases.  Beckham could use a lesson

@mikeghg

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Saw this link by Rob in another thread, glad Chris brought it here for discussion.

There have been a lot of encouraging things happen for the Orioles minor league system this season.  As Manuel said

“So, there were a lot of players that made a lot of progress in the organization. They had one of the better years of the farm systems in the minors.”

...if you have one of the better years in the minors (maybe the best)...hopefully things look a little better.

The emergence of Hays is the really big one if (ranking wise) you project him to have difference making talent. 

Mountcastle still needs to figure out the position, Scott whether he's a starter or reliever (RP will hurt ranking projection, but still valuable to the Orioles), Mancinii doesn't specifically count, but talk about a guys stock going up (good for him)....Stewart (liked the pick, glad to see it working out better), Mullens and Santander looking like credible guys...maybe not impact, but reasonable starters.  Harvey's health and finally getting some innings in....DL Hall falling to the Orioles in the draft....lots of really good things happened this year.

Think about this....before the season, the Orioles basically had no OFers on the projection radar....a good minor league season later....they have a bunch.

2-3 years from now, you could have Harvey, DLHall, Akin and Sedlock making some impact in the Orioles rotation.  I'm against pushing the group early, can reasonably see building bridges to that, but at least it's something interesting to plan and watch.

Given where the Orioles have been lately, get a mid-ranking (12-18) would be a huge accomplishment....and should create some opportunities both on the 25 and through trade in the future.

Still a ton of work to do, but you couldn't have asked for much more in the MiL as an Oriole fan this year.

---------

On the Debbie Downer side....

1) There's an opposite end to having 'the best minor league season'....and when you have a lot of fairly big jumps, you can also have guys fall back (against the raised expectations), they may just be the guy they were before this season (in terms of projection) but it will feel like a bigger fall.

2) Believing that everything we need in the future is already here seems like a terrible risk position.  Standing around patting yourself on the back pretending this group, based on an excellent collective season, is your 2019 Playoff Roster seems to be set up for failure.

3) The Orioles will get most of this bump out of a handful of guys.  This isn't really a concerted effort over the last 6 years, the adds are generally more recent in terms of acquisition or performance.

----------

...but let's end more positively, great year for the collective organization and a lot of guys on the individual level.  Keep it going.

one more comment to sort of refute what I wrote above in 3).  This looks today like a better system going into 2019 than the Orioles had after the 2011 season.....so while I don't think they've done nearly enough, there is some credibility in that.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

I had one more thought on this the other day.

Again, I don't think the Orioles (under DD) have done nearly enough in terms of building up the minors and the organization in general, but for all of the people that thought MacPhail did a great job in Baltimore, the point of his (AM's) 4 years here and his current 2+ years in Philly was to build up the minors and MacPhail got to do it while everyone accepted losing (both BAL and PHI).

Heading into a season, which minor league system would you pick (given perspective now or 2012).

2012 Orioles

2018 Phillies

2018 Orioles

If you want 2012 Orioles based on Machado only, ok, but the only thing really going on the Orioles/'12 list (MM, DB) is a function of early draft picks.  

4+ years of 'rebuilding' and the only thing the list has is 2 top5 picks for being bad

...and if I could somehow swap the Phillies (2 years of failing and early picks) system for the Orioles (trying to compete, losing assets and draft position)...I wouldn't swap.

#8 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

Ever since Gary Rajesh has come in, drafting has been way better than it has in a long time, and definately since Angelos took over as owner. 

Let's break down who are in the big leagues (Whether or not for the O's)

Austin Hays

Trey Mancini

Zach Davies

Kevin Gausman

Christian Walker

Josh Hader

Chance Sisco

Stephan Crighton

Jimmy Yacobanis

Tanner Scott

Plus many more who could be on the O's someday (Mullins, stewart, etc.)

Really, the only dud he's had was 2014. 

Steven Brault

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

Still not enough pitching in the upper levels. That's the asterisk to put beside this positive evaluation of the system. Look at how horrible the rotation was this year -- the FO will not make significant upgrades during the offseason. So while we may have some good position player prospects on their way, our pitching, particularly SP, is still a very big problem.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Still not enough pitching in the upper levels. That's the asterisk to put beside this positive evaluation of the system. Look at how horrible the rotation was this year -- the FO will not make significant upgrades during the offseason. So while we may have some good position player prospects on their way, our pitching, particularly SP, is still a very big problem.

Keegan Akin is maybe a year or two away, and he's been ok in Frederick. The one guy I'm really looking forward to in Frederick this year is Alex Wells. If he can be rock solid like he was last year, we might have an ace on our hands. But yeah, from Bowie up, the system is barren. 

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

Grow the bats, buy the arms.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Grow what you can, buy what you need.

#13 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Grow what you can, buy what you need.

Pretty much, because the last good pitcher we grew was Mike Mussina. 

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

Still not enough pitching in the upper levels. That's the asterisk to put beside this positive evaluation of the system. Look at how horrible the rotation was this year --....

The comment I'd make is look at the guys the Orioles have traded away....Zach Davies is the Brewers best pitcher.  Hader is on the edge.  ERod has kept a role in Boston.  Brault is a decent back of the rotation option. We gave away Tarpley TOO in that stupid deal.  We threw Bridwell away and he was good for the Angels this year.

I don't care specifically that we traded these guys, my issue is you traded them generally for trash.....without much of a plan to fix your problems.

The Orioles do a decent job of scouting other organizations, but they are a net loss because they apparently can't scout their own.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Ever since Gary Rajesh has come in, .....

I think the Orioles do a good job of drafting.  

I disagree with their draft strategy rds 2-5 (not the players they select, where they select them), but they have a pretty strong draft record after the 5th round also...no issues at all after the 5th.  I'd like to see them play a little more draft defense, but they've pulled some interesting talent out of some hard-to-find-it rounds.

The Orioles seem to really struggle on the player development side which may limit our view (big picture) of the drafts.

I think Rajesh has selected good talent.

#16 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I think the Orioles do a good job of drafting.  

I disagree with their draft strategy rds 2-5 (not the players they select, where they select them), but they have a pretty strong draft record after the 5th round also...no issues at all after the 5th.  I'd like to see them play a little more draft defense, but they've pulled some interesting talent out of some hard-to-find-it rounds.

The Orioles seem to really struggle on the player development side which may limit our view (big picture) of the drafts.

I think Rajesh has selected good talent.

He's been the best in my lifetime. I like his drafting too, but I look at classes as a whole. Some of his 2-5 picks are kind of puzzling, but we've gotten Hays, Sisco, Scott, Hess (I still have hope), Brandon Hanifee (You'll hear about him this year, me thinks.), Mountcastle, Ryan Mesinger (hope he's in Norfolk this year), and Zach Lowther (that guy could be good). 

#17 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

2012 and 2014 have been the only 2 weak drafts. Way better than in years past. 

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

MASN: MLBPipeline.com’s Jim Callis says O’s farm has made solid progress
http://www.masnsport...d-progress.html

#19 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Besides pitching, I'd agree that it has made progress with the bats and the gloves. 

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

MASN: Presenting a top 10 Orioles prospects list

http://www.masnsport...pects-list.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=