#61 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Lol..guess this is the first season you have paid attention to how this organization works.

And btw, I don't doubt that DD wanted Davis back but only at a certain price and that price wasn't what they paid him.

I think DD was along for the ride on that one. 

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Buck wants enough talent to win. If it was Cespedes instead of Davis he wouldve been fine with it. Putting any part of a FA signing on Buck is BS. He doesn't get credit for Nelly Cruz or blame for Mark Trumbo.

And if you go to any manager in the bigs and ask him if he'd like to have back the 1B that put up the numbers Davis put up from '13-15 all of them are saying yes. Especially when it's unknown how or if it's even possible that you'll adequately replace him.

But not every manager has the pull Buck does. His opinion matters a lot with PA and Brady imo.

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Yeah I thought the managers job was to try and win and make the playoffs. When winning wasn't possible then, at least, look towards the future. Again, what was I thinking.

What fucking future. Davis and Trumbo both have guarunteed jobs for next year because of the stupid contract our GM gave them

#64 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

Buck wants enough talent to win. If it was Cespedes instead of Davis he wouldve been fine with it. Putting any part of a FA signing on Buck is BS. He doesn't get credit for Nelly Cruz or blame for Mark Trumbo.
And if you go to any manager in the bigs and ask him if he'd like to have back the 1B that put up the numbers Davis put up from '13-15 all of them are saying yes. Especially when it's unknown how or if it's even possible that you'll adequately replace him.

Any manager is going to openly say they want their players back. He openly stated he wanted Cruz back but we see how that turned out.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

But not every manager has the pull Buck does. His opinion matters a lot with PA and Brady imo.

Again what manager is saying no to Davis coming back. Think about that. Actually put yourself in that position as a manager. Tell me why you wouldn't lobby for the guy you know who put up the numbers Davis put up in '13-15 returning. Especially if you aren't convinced the owner or GM will adequately replace him

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

Any manager is going to openly say they want their players back. He openly stated he wanted Cruz back but we see how that turned out.

Especially publically. Now behind closed doors is a different story and any speculation Rob and Trea Sr are making is based on public comments

#67 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yes it's Buck and PA vs DD who PA would not let leave....

Need to ask yourself 2 questions here

1. Why did DD want to leave?

2. Why didn't PA let him leave? 

Answers:

1a. Between ownership and Buck it's a shit sandwich that no GM would probably want to deal with. 

2a. DD is capable of dealing with all the shit and still put a winning product  on the field. 

God help us if Buck does decide to extend. Besides Anderson (who I'm completely unsure about) I don't see anybody with any pedigree and sense wanting to step into that mess. 

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Again what manager is saying no to Davis coming back. Think about that. Actually put yourself in that position as a manager. Tell me why you wouldn't lobby for the guy you know who put up the numbers Davis put up in '13-15 returning. Especially if you aren't convinced the owner or GM will adequately replace him

I think a good baseball guy (and btw, I'm
Not saying Buck isn't...he can manage here as long as he wants) can look at davis and be worried about him
And express to management that he would like him back but that you should only go to a certain price point.

Buck has always loved Davis. He probably didn't care what it costed to keep him around.

I think DD likely was able to take emotion out of it and say that you only bring him back at a certain price. I don't think Buck could do that.

Otoh, none of it matters. He's here because of PA and while I don't like DD, it's moronic to blame Davis on him.

No issue blaming Trumbo on him though. He tried to get Trumbo before, finally got him and was willing to keep him at a certain price.

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

But he also may have been fine not going beyond 3 years for Cruz as well

#70 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

My God all the speculation and assumptions. I mean we know PA meddles but most of the rest of this is based on nothing.

#71 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

My God all the speculation and assumptions. I mean we know PA meddles but most of the rest of this is based on nothing.

Lol...you bash PA every chance you get. But, if it's DD vs buck, you bash DD and pretend PA doesn't exist.

Do you know the definition of the word consistency?

#72 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

As I said in some thread less than a week ago, there is no doubt PA puts handcuffs on DD. There should also be no doubt that he has not done a good job working with those restraints. Even grading on a PA curve he gets a below avg grade.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

As I said in some thread less than a week ago, there is no doubt PA puts handcuffs on DD. There should also be no doubt that he has not done a good job working with those restraints. Even grading on a PA curve he gets a below avg grade.

That's fine..but Davis is 100% on PA. Inferring otherwise is wrong.

#74 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

It's certainly not 100% on PA. Unless you don't believe what you said you believe before. That being the Mackus philosophy that if you can't convince your boss that something is wrong then some of the blame goes on you. Pretty sure you agreed with that

#75 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

My God all the speculation and assumptions. 

Yeah, some lunatic is saying Buck is a magic win shitting manager genius who wants to wait tables at the HOF.  

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

It's certainly not 100% on PA. Unless you don't believe what you said you believe before. That being the Mackus philosophy that if you can't convince your boss that something is wrong then some of the blame goes on you. Pretty sure you agreed with that

I have said many times that you can't convince PA.

I believe DD was good with Davis at a certain number. That number, whatever it was, was still higher than I would have wanted to pay him(I didn't want him at all). So sure, I don't mind blaming DD for even wanting him to begin with.

But Davis getting signed and the deal he got was 100% on PA. He took over negotiations and got the deal done because he likes him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=