http://www.philly.co.../217984331.html

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Maybe Im getting ready to open a can of worms but IMO using that word doesn't necessarily make you racist.

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Maybe Im getting ready to open a can of worms but IMO using that word doesn't necessarily make you racist.

I think it's how he used it, not the fact that he did use it.

#44 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

This might be true. It might just be something that dumb jocks say, similar to how they often use homosexual slurs in regards to non-homosexuals. It doesn't justify it, but could provide context. Was he referring to actual African Americans when he said it?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#45 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

This might be true. It might just be something that dumb jocks say, similar to how they often use homosexual slurs in regards to non-homosexuals. It doesn't justify it, but could provide context. Was he referring to actual African Americans when he said it?

Yeah the security guard was a blackman.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#46 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Yeah the security guard was a blackman.

Ok, so then we'll go with he's just a jackass :)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#47 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I will say this when I was 12-16 my best friend was a kid named Johnathan Rodgers and he is black.  One day he dropped the N word on me.  We always played all sports whatever season it was either basketball football whatever.  I would just call him different colorful names but I asked him how he would fell if I called him that, he said I could get away with it because we are family and he doesn't see race with me.   I also have a lot of family that uses that word that are younger in New York with their friends.  We are Puerto Rican though but still I guess I was raised different.  I could see in rare circumstances where you would feel comfortable if that's how you grew up but I doubt that in this case. Who knows.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

First, let me say that I'm in no way excusing it. However, I think some people use it when they are really angry. Heat of the moment type thing. Like a lot of other things you call people   to anger or incite.  That's different than being a true racist.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

First, let me say that I'm in no way excusing it. However, I think some people use it when they are really angry. Heat of the moment type thing. That's different than being a true racist.

I'm not sure that it is. I mean, why would that be what one would say when they're really angry?

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm not sure that it is. I mean, why would that be what one would say when they're really angry?

Because your trying to be derogatory and as nasty as you can be. To me when it's a heat of the moment thing, its no different than a million other things you'll hear someone called.

That's different than going around living your everyday life being a racist.

We all know that sometimes what comes out of your mouth in the heat of the moment is sometimes not how you feel in your heart. People make too big a deal out of words at times.

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Eh, if anything, I think that someone who normally doesn't act racist, but says that in the heat of the moment is just good at hiding his or her racism in calmer moments.

If someone says while drunk, is that the same premise to you?

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

Eh, if anything, I think that someone who normally doesn't act racist, but says that in the heat of the moment is just good at hiding his or her racism in calmer moments.

If someone says while drunk, is that the same premise to you?

Either way its just words. People say things sometimes for whatever reason.  Sometimes there is really hate and deep seeded issues. Other times its used more out of frustration and there is nothing more to it.

I know you'll be one who'll take issue with that and not see the difference but its been obvious to me at times.

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's not that I don't see a difference, but I don't think that word is even in the arsenal at all when you're in a heated argument unless there's some racism in that person.

I couldn't even imagine saying that to an ex that is black, regardless of what she did or how pissed I was.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Cooper is stepping away from the team for a period of time according to Schefter.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Either way its just words. People say things sometimes for whatever reason.  Sometimes there is really hate and deep seeded issues. Other times its used more out of frustration and there is nothing more to it.

I know you'll be one who'll take issue with that and not see the difference but its been obvious to me at times.

It's a lot more than just words when an exchange like that happens in a country that was partially built on slave labor. Bottom line, it's just flat out unacceptable and the word needs to be erased from everyone's memory, yesterday. Period.

BTW, I do understand your point, I do. But we've been conditioned to think that way about it. We need to uncondition ourselves to think that way about it.

Sorry Stoner for getting a tad political here. I feel pretty strongly about this one. I'm done though.

• Cisc-O's likes this

#56 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's a lot more than just words when an exchange like that happens in a country that was partially built on slave labor. Bottom line, it's just flat out unacceptable and the word needs to be erased from everyone's memory, yesterday. Period.

BTW, I do understand your point, I do. But we've been conditioned to think that way about it. We need to uncondition ourselves to think that way about it.

Sorry Stoner for getting a tad political here. I feel pretty strongly about this one. I'm done though.

Fun fact of the night.  Did you know the first legal slave owner in USA history was a man named Anthony Johnson a black man who won a case in court declaring another black man John Casor his slave for life.  Before this case there were indentured servitude where they could work for there freedom after a certain time period usually anywhere 5-15 years then they would be given land and money.  After this case all bets were off.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

CBS Sports: Training Camp Roundup: Tim Tebow hasn't noticed Riley Cooper situation

http://www.cbssports...ooper-situation

Apparently Tim Tebow doesn't use the Internet. Or read newspapers. Or watch the news. Or get CBSSports.com mobile alerts sent to his phone.

We needed his opinion after all.

@levineps

#58 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Congrats to Tebow for giving the correct answer to a gossip question.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#59 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Guys, you're overreacting! It's the first time he said it, so it's all good and junk!

Where have I heard that before? Hm...

(And, for what it's worth, it's not "just words", to me or to several people I know. If you want the word to go, that's great. It won't. You know the circumstances where it can be used and when it can't; just follow the rules. If you don't know or understand the rules, don't use them.)

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#60 Jeff_Kryglik

Jeff_Kryglik
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBaltimore,MD

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Here are my thoughts on the Riley Cooper situation as the troubled receiver returned to practice today: http://www.thesports...l-get-it-right/

@Jeff_Kryglik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=