#1641 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2022 - 09:00 PM

Since I failed so hard last time, someone explain our situation to me. CRC is 3 points behind and could tie us but the tiebreaker is GD? Looks to me like they have no chance of winning that tiebreaker.

Costa Rica would have to beat the US by a 6-goal margin Wednesday. And even if that somehow did happen, the US would then head to the qualifier playoff against the Oceania group.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1642 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 07:46 AM

CBS Sports: USMNT vs. Panama score: Christian Pulisic's hat trick puts USA on verge of World Cup qualification

https://www.cbssport...ification/live/

USMNT player ratings vs. Panama: Christian Pulisic scores hat trick, Tyler Adams dominates in the middle

https://www.cbssport...-in-the-middle/

#1643 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:25 AM

I'll post a more detailed analysis after the CR match on Wednesday but here's some thoughts on last night.

1. First off kudos to Orlando and MLS. These soccer specific stadiums are just fantastic for watching soccer matches. Of course when you seats are in the 3rd row of the second deck right on the midfield stripe.....well just doesn't get any better.

2. Crowd was rocking from the get go and really amped up the team.

3. The first 10 minutes Panama had the better of the play but the US was calm and composed and once they figured out how Panama was playing it was game over.

4. What a terrible referee. He got the 2 penalties correct. Or at least mostly. Not sure what the FIFA instructions are to them these days but both of those plays could (should) have earned the Panama player a direct red. Hands to the face/neck is an auto red. The foul on Robinson was from behind so you could argue that the player was just a little out of control so yellow which he got. But the one on Zimmerman was clearly intentional to the neck. Then there was the scrum across the field from us When I got back to the hotel FS1 was just starting to show a replay so we watched. What I didn't see during that scuffle was that some player (I think from the bench) threw the ball and hit Pulisic. That is absolutely a direct red for striking a player. There were two fouls on Reyna that occurred right in front of us. Clear fouls by Panama and the ref called both of them on Gio. In all the sporting events I have attended in my life I have never heard a crowd boo an official so loudly. The guy was bad, really, really bad. My son who tends to let the officiating slide quite a bit said "we played the entire night 11 v 12."  The lone goal that Panama scored was on a free kick (which was a superb play by them) was on one of the fouls called on Reyna. I watched Berhalter after the final whistle and he went to the officials and was having a conversation with them. I doubt he was making suggestions on where the officiating crew should head for their after match meal. But he probably was suggesting to them "where they could go,"   LOLf

5. Just a really solid team effort. The only player that seemed to not fully recovered from the Mexico match was Musah. He was ok but just didn't really get it going.

RIcker is correct on what has to happen on Wednesday night in CR. Just don't lose by more than 5. Now here's an interesting thought. The FIFA laws for a forfeit state that the forfeiting team loses the match by a score of 3-0. It won't happen but the US could just not show up in CR and forfeit and guarantee third place  and a trip to Qatar. Not sure if FIFA could meet out additional sanctions but it would be pretty funny! 

It won't happen for three reasons.

1. The US has more class than that.

2. The US wants to avenge the 4-0 drubbing from the took down there last cycle.

3. There is a chance, very small, but a chance that the US could end up in Pot 1 for the WC draw.

a. They need to win

b. Mexico needs to lose to El Salvador. Its at Azteca but fans are already calling for their coach Tata Martino to get canned. They are not playing well and the US should have beaten them and they only beat Honduras 1-0 (the worst team in the Ocho).

c. Portugal needs to lose to North Macedonia. Won't happen right? Ask Italy.

d. Netherlands need to lose or draw.

The good news (or maybe its bad news if you ask my wife) is that my voice seems to have recovered quickly. Must have been the milk shake on the way back to the hotel.

• You Play to Win the Game, glenn__davis and Mashed Potatoes like this

#1644 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:44 AM

Interesting scenario regarding the forfeit.  Agree that it won't happen but would be funny to watch.

Not that I'm at all concerned about it but what is the 2nd tiebreaker?

Nevermind, just looked it up.  Looks like goals scored is the 2nd tiebreaker, where the US is currently up +10, so even a 5 goal loss would get them in.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1645 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2022 - 11:20 AM

For much of the qualifiers they’ve been sturdy on the back end and a little frustrating up front. Last night was the complete opposite.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1646 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 06:45 PM

If you're Berhalter, do you go all out for victory tomorrow night, or play it safer and sit out some of your front-liners?

If the Mexico game is any indication, I'd say he does the former. It's hard to imagine any scenario where they'd lose by 6 goals. And with 8 months until the WC, it would have to be a very serious injury to lose a player that far out....of course their clubs won't be very happy you played them in a match you didn't really need to, but that's a risk that comes in any game.

Update: With Portugal punching their WC ticket today, that reduces the US’s chance of getting into the Pot 1 draw, and maybe decreases the incentive to go for a win.

#1647 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 March 2022 - 08:18 AM

I think that Berhalter will play the best lineup available based upon the fitness tests they run. Here's what I think that means without having knowledge of those results.

1. Weah will start on the wing. That's almost a given.

2. Jedi may sit and they start Bello at LB. But at the end of the Panama match Jedi was still streaking down the left side like it was the last game of his life. Unreal the energy level he has.

3. Hard to break up the CB duo of Miles Robinson and Walker Zimmerman. But Zimm has gone 180 so could see Long start in his place.

4. Not sure how much of Steffen's issues Sunday were due to his back and/or stomach bug that hit the team. If he's healthy then he starts most likely. But I would like to see Horvath get a match.

5. Word yesterday was that Reyna is over his stomach bug so I suspect he starts tonight.

6. Ferriera was pretty cramped up the last 5-10 minutes. Not sure he can start tongith.

My best guess and that's really what it is ...a guess:

Steffen

Yedlin Long M Rob Bello

Musah Adams LDLT

Weah Pepi Pulisic

#1648 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 March 2022 - 08:39 AM

Couple of updates that impact tonight's match and one of them is huge,

1. Cannon joined the team in CR and is available to play. He trained with the team yesterday as well. Still expect we see Yedlin but this opens the door for Cannon at RB.

2. It has been confirmed by some rule experts that the CR players on yellows would miss the playoff match against the New Zealand/Solomon Islands match fi they were to get a second yellow tonight. Since there is almost zero chance they could win 6-0 by far their best path to Qatar is to win the playoff match. CR coach has been quoted as saying "if FIFA confirms that our players would miss the New Zealand match with a second yellow then we will play a youth team against the US."  They have requested a response from FIFA but haven't gotten an official response yet. But I think they will sit their key players tonight. The simple fact is that we could play our "worst lineup" tonight against their "best lineup" and I would still like our chances. There is just no way they can win by 6+ goals nor can they win by multiple goals and hope ES beats Mexico at the Azteca by multiple goals. Playing their key players sitting on yellows would be poor management.

#1649 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 March 2022 - 09:12 AM

WC draw is Friday, excited for that!

#1650 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 March 2022 - 09:26 AM

WC draw is Friday, excited for that!

As of now its only on Telemundo. Hope some US source picks it up. Can always find a stream too.

#1651 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:09 PM

Good on Berhlater. Going for the W!!

Steffen

Yedlin Miles Robinson Zimmerman Jedi

Acosta Adams Musah

Weah Pepi Pulisic

Costa Rica took a middle of the road approach. They are not starting several key players including Joel Campbell, Bryan Ruiz, and Estevan Alvarado.

Update: In fact CR is starting only 1 of their 9 players on yellow cards. Clearly they are focused on the New Zealand playoff (who beat Solomon Islands today 5-1) and rightly so.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#1652 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:11 PM

We in dey!

#1653 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:20 PM

Kind of a disappointing game to clinch a WC in, but the job is done and the monkey is off their back. Now just hope that for once their best players can all be healthy when they head to Qatar.

#1654 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:32 PM

The good news is the loss does not knock them out of Pot 2. Although pots 3 and 4 look strong, so the only easy group might be the one Qatar is drawn for, while there could be multiple groups that deserve the Group of Death label.

#1655 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 05:36 AM

No concacaf team in Pot 1 right? Did Canada have a shot if they won?
@DaKittenz

#1656 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 06:17 AM

Looked like a real lack of urgency last night...which is understandable.  You'd like to see more of a killer instinct there but I think after the high of the other night it was difficult for them to get back up for this game.

#1657 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:13 AM

No concacaf team in Pot 1 right? Did Canada have a shot if they won?

No, I believe once Portugal won that wrapped up all the Pot 1 Entrants.

#1658 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:59 AM

Canada in Pot 4! Disrespectful
@DaKittenz

#1659 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:03 AM

I'm just ecstatic to be in this morning. The end result last night wasn't elating, but they're in. Going to enjoy this Cup. The bars here in the Bethesda/DC area will go all out, it's going to be fun.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#1660 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:39 AM

https://www.espn.com...ridays-ceremony

Here's a link to the teams in each pot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic