• Please log in to reply
2061 replies to this topic

#1181 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

ESPN: USMNT and the Bundesliga: Why so many top young Americans choose Germany on career path

#1182 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:55 AM

Excited about the next generation for sure. Looking at that side, still missing a really dangerous #9, and Aaron Long doesn't feel like a starting caliber center back in a strong national team.

This reminds me of Turgeon and the basketball team.  It's always wait for the next group, the next class, these are the guys that are going to take this team to the next level.   Granted this current group shows more promise but it feels like I've heard all of this before.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1183 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

This reminds me of Turgeon and the basketball team.  It's always wait for the next group, the next class, these are the guys that are going to take this team to the next level.   Granted this current group shows more promise but it feels like I've heard all of this before.

That's fair of course, until they do it they haven't done it, AND, I do not recall any point in history where young American players were getting minutes at Europe's top clubs. So I do think this is different.

@DaKittenz

#1184 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:44 AM

Certainly the young team has not accomplished anything with the NT yet. But they are getting lots of minutes in the Big 5 leagues and that has never happened before. When you see teams like Dortmund running through Gio....when you see teams like Leipzig running through Adams, when you see teams like Juve relying on McKennie to be their destroyer in the middle, and when have we ever seen two giants like Barca and Bayern fighting over a US player!!!!

Again, they have to gel together and do it on the field. But I think our best XI right now can play with anybody and be competitive. I haven't felt this good about the NT since 2002.

#1185 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

Its a done deal. Sergino Dest signed a 5 year deal with Barcelona!!!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#1186 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

The Ajax/Barcelona connections have always been neat to me, Johan Cruyff's influence is really massive

#1187 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:34 PM

The Ajax/Barcelona connections have always been neat to me, Johan Cruyff's influence is really massive

My all time favorite player outside of a keeper.

#1188 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

What a day for Gio Reyna. Dortumnd stomped Freiburg and Gio got a playmaker. Three assists. Two on sweet passed to Haaland and one on a corner kick. Kid is 17 and the designated corner taker for one of the top clubs in the world. Holy cow!!!!

#1189 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:21 PM

Check out this lineup that many think is the current best XI. Rather than list their names I have listed their current club. If that doesn't get your heart started then you are either dead or in a coma.

1826878_USA.jpg

#1190 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

For those who are interested here is a really good, indepth analysis of Sergino Dest's play as a RB and why he fits in with Barcelona so well. Remember this kid is still only 19. Be forewarned this is pretty technical but the graphics make it pretty easy to get the points being made. Take a look and if you have any questions post em up and I'll try and answer them.

https://totalfootbal...nalysis-tactics

#1191 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:23 PM

Check out this lineup that many think is the current best XI. Rather than list their names I have listed their current club. If that doesn't get your heart started then you are either dead or in a coma.

1826878_USA.jpg

Makes the Sounders look pretty good haha

#1192 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

Makes the Sounders look pretty good haha

Yeah for sure, the MLS outlier. And only because, for whatever reason, Morris just didn't want to go overseas. And that's ok.

#1193 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

https://soccer.nbcsp...-xi-roster/amp/
@DaKittenz

#1194 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:14 AM

The only difference between my XI and JPW's is he has Weah in place of Morris. To me Weah "looks" to be the better player but he has three issues that need to be overtaken before he is my winger.

1. Jordan Morris has been the most consistent and effective forward/attacking player for the USMNT for the last two years. Current form alone says he is a starter right now over Weah.

2. Weah has not played much the last 18 months. Missed significant time with an injury, had a long rehab and then got injured again in his first match back. He has to show he can stay healthy.

and this is the biggest issue

3. So far in Ligue 1 Weah has made 4 appearances for a total of only 30 minutes. Playing 30 minutes out of a potential 540 doesn't look good.

Certainly much of Weah's time on the field is subject to the players around him. Lille sits tied atop the league so they are playing well. Tim will certainly get called in to the next camp held for European based players (probably November) and there is a lot of time before the NT has competitive matches. But as of today there is just no way I could send Weah out and keep Morris on the bench.

#1195 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:46 AM

The only difference between my XI and JPW's is he has Weah in place of Morris. To me Weah "looks" to be the better player but he has three issues that need to be overtaken before he is my winger.

1. Jordan Morris has been the most consistent and effective forward/attacking player for the USMNT for the last two years. Current form alone says he is a starter right now over Weah.
2. Weah has not played much the last 18 months. Missed significant time with an injury, had a long rehab and then got injured again in his first match back. He has to show he can stay healthy.

and this is the biggest issue

3. So far in Ligue 1 Weah has made 4 appearances for a total of only 30 minutes. Playing 30 minutes out of a potential 540 doesn't look good.

Certainly much of Weah's time on the field is subject to the players around him. Lille sits tied atop the league so they are playing well. Tim will certainly get called in to the next camp held for European based players (probably November) and there is a lot of time before the NT has competitive matches. But as of today there is just no way I could send Weah out and keep Morris on the bench.

Agreed Morris is the more effective player right now, also love his work rate. A year from now I suspect we'll all put Weah ahead.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@DaKittenz

#1196 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:09 PM

10 USMNT players on Champions League rosters

https://twitter.com/...227320383827969

It looks like Steffen is the only who played college soccer, sounds like a nice recruiting tool for Sasho

#1197 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

College soccer is a great thing. And of course i have a soft spot for it. But the fact of the matter is that if you have the talent and desire to play professionally college is just not the best option anymore. College will always play a role in developing future pros but the problem is that college has other requirements they have to deal with. They just don't have the singular focus of a development academy or a clubs youth programs.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#1198 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

ESPN: Gio Reyna, U.S. stars on Barcelona's and Real Madrid's radar; Chelsea plotting Rice move
https://www.espn.com...tting-rice-move

#1199 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:39 AM

That's a really good article and points out what few fans of US soccer are seeing day to day now. When you have clubs like Barca, Dortmund, and Bayern Munich scouting and picking up US kids as teenagers shows that the training and development programs in our country are really starting to bear fruit.

#1200 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

Lots of USMNT guys in action this weekend!

https://www.ussoccer...7X_ZvhmDZTX05Sc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=