#1144 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Not acceptable. They show stretches when they play well but the game is 90 minutes not 20. Now to be fair some of that is caused by such large number of subs. But still not good enough.

Biggest takeaway - STOP with the insistent slow playing the ball around in the back. You can not do that against a good high pressing team like Mexico. Just kick the damn ball down the field. You CAN keep possession doing that. Mexico did it a lot. All we did was get ourselves in trouble.

#1145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,504 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

SI: Despite Struggles vs. Mexico, USMNT Insists on Sticking to Its Style, Approach
https://www.si.com/s...-back-berhalter

#1146 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

I get the point of the article and it isn't wrong. You have to stick with what you are tying to learn when things get tough or you won't ever learn. And that afterall is the point of friendlies. However, the real question becomes what do you do in a match that has real impact. When a W or L mean something. You damn well better be able to shift tactics to get a point. 

Now the worst line in the article:

"making that blind, hopeful long ball seem like the most sensible option."  

This is the fallacy of the playing out of the back camp. You CAN play quicker balls down field AND still have possession. Go back and watch the game from Friday. The Mexican keeper put a number of balls downfield right to a teammate and they controlled the ball to keep possession.

I don't have much hope for tomorrow against Uruguay. Now Uruguay will not be any near full strength but we sent Pulisic, McKennie, Morales, Brooks, Johnson, and Steffen were released back to their clubs.

So I hope to see Pomykal and Gonzalex for sure. And hope Dest gets some more mintues too. I think we should go all out with all the kids tomorrow.

#1147 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,504 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

ESPN: USMNT depth chart: Where they're strong and where they should worry ahead of World Cup 2022
https://www.espn.com...-world-cup-2022

#1148 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

Interesting match last night. While it was not Uruguay's top lineup at all neither was ours. And it was a pretty even match. Some good things and some not so good things.

But my biggest complaint was the subs Berhalter used. Corey Baird as the first man in? And to only give Paxton Pomykal 5 minutes? The game situation was begging for Pomykal. Both sides were tired and losing energy fast. A big motor guy like Pax was needed but Coach waited way to long to put him in.

But way better than the 3-0 drop to Mexico. We have a long ways to go.

#1149 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

Are you fine with Berhalter going forward?  I don't really see them making a change, and I know it's a long process but I just feel like I haven't read or seen anything from him that gives me any hope of taking a real step forward.

#1150 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

Are you fine with Berhalter going forward?  I don't really see them making a change, and I know it's a long process but I just feel like I haven't read or seen anything from him that gives me any hope of taking a real step forward.

I have a mixed opinion.

1. I get what he is trying to accomplish. He's looking at the long game and taking a measured and thorough approach to get there. And that isn't necessarily wrong. What we don't know is if we really have the right players now and soon to be ready that can play effectively in the system he want to use. Big question.

2. We have not had a chance yet to see what most would think are our best X!.  Between conflicts and injuries we haven't had a chance yet. Now injuries are always going to be an issue but I would really like to see us have a chance to trot out this system with Brooks, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, Altidore/Sargent, Yedlin. We haven't been able to do that.

3. Now the flip side is that we are only a year away from the beginning of 2022 qualifying. I do NOT want to see a repeat of the last cycle where USSF waited way to long to make a change in coaching. Personally I would give Greg through the Nations Cup and if we don't see some big time improvement then I'd make a change. Berhalter's side has not had a signature win under his tenure and we need to start seeing them.

• DuffMan likes this

#1151 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Shocks of all shocks. Jozy Altidore is hurt again and won't be in camp for the first two Nations League matches.

#1152 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:19 AM

Shocks of all shocks. Jozy Altidore is hurt again and won't be in camp for the first two Nations League matches.

Extra weight, extra injuries...

#1153 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

Extra weight, extra injuries...

I don't think you can use "extra"  and injuries when you talk anything about Altidore. Nothing seems to matter. More fit, less fit, more time off. less weight, more weight. No matter what he does he's always one step away from an injury,

#1154 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

I don't think you can use "extra"  and injuries when you talk anything about Altidore. Nothing seems to matter. More fit, less fit, more time off. less weight, more weight. No matter what he does he's always one step away from an injury,

I agree he's injury prone, but I also believe that being overweight (which we discussed in the other thread) increases the likelihood of injury.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1155 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Here's my analysis of the US - Cuba game.

Cuba was so BAD that its hard to tell how good we really were. We totally had our way with them wide. They just could not anticipate our runs or passing angles. 

#1156 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

And we lost 2-0 to Canada. WTF is that!?  I didn't watch any of this but it sounded like a listless performance.  Shit happens on the pitch but no reason they can't come out and compete.  Maybe it's time to move Berhalter to the hot seat?

#1157 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

The game was one of the worst I have ever seen the USMNT play. They were lifeless. They, with a few exceptions, did not appear to be prepared or that they cared much.

Then GGG subbed of Pulisic when we were down a goal. WTF!!!! This was the first time Canada has scored a single goal against us in 10 years and the first time they have beaten us in 34 years. SICK!!!

Now I have been willing to give GGG time to build the team the way he felt we needed to go to compete at a high level. Well I don't see us improving in ability, tactics, or energy. Time for him to go but I don't think USSF will do that. We could be in deep crap come qualifying for WC 2022.

• DuffMan likes this

#1158 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

Now I have been willing to give GGG time to build the team the way he felt we needed to go to compete at a high level. Well I don't see us improving in ability, tactics, or energy. Time for him to go but I don't think USSF will do that. We could be in deep crap come qualifying for WC 2022.

It's pretty damn frustrating given how long that they took to make Berhalter the HC and it now it's looking like they made a bad choice.  Now the possibility that they may just keep plugging along and hope it somehow worksout... gahhh

#1159 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,504 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Bring back Bradley or Arena. 

#1160 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

Bring back Bradley or Arena. 

I could be okay with Bradley, no way I want the guy that over saw the loss in T&T that cost them a trip to the WC

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=