55 replies to this topic

#21 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Said this last night on twitter but I think .240/.310/.390 ROS is possible.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he hit closer to .270 though.
@JeffLongBP

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Said this last night on twitter but I think .240/.310/.390 ROS is possible.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he hit closer to .270 though.

Right, .310-.330 OBP/.370-.390 slg seems realistic to me. Obviously, he could struggle but I don't think .700 OPS is setting the bar too high.

#23 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

I wonder if in some ways, sticking him at 3B will provide a bit of a "fresh start" regarding fielding. I know it's apparently an issue with his focus, but if he's moved to 3B, it could basically force him to focus more on his play, since he'll be at the hot corner instead of a bit further away from the plate at SS. At least that's my hope.

As for the offense, I'd assume what most folks here are picking (perhaps around .700 OPS one way or another).

#24 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

As others have mentioned, I find it difficult to venture a guess... but pressed to do so would have me thinking he'll provide us with .220/.270/.380/.650. That is obviously not good, but I'm in the camp that believes he's being brought up before he's ready. Anything better than that and I'll be impressed. Defensively I expect that he will not be much better than Betemit has been... but that's because I believe his inexperience at third and the jitters of a big league call up in a pennant race are going to cause more mistakes than usual. In time he'll provide at least average defense at either SS or 3B.

#25 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

What number is he gonna wear?

Lucky 13, per Roch.
@KRL224

#26 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

As others have mentioned, I find it difficult to venture a guess... but pressed to do so would have me thinking he'll provide us with .220/.270/.380/.650. That is obviously not good, but I'm in the camp that believes he's being brought up before he's ready. Anything better than that and I'll be impressed. Defensively I expect that he will not be much better than Betemit has been... but that's because I believe his inexperience at third and the jitters of a big league call up in a pennant race are going to cause more mistakes than usual. In time he'll provide at least average defense at either SS or 3B.

I agree with most of this but he will likely provide much better range and athleticism than Betemit on the defensive side. Bottom line, I don't think he's an upgrade overall. I don't see him outperforming a platoon of Betemit/Andino overall. I do not agree with the move but we'll see.

#27 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would guess around a .700 OPS. I just hope they're still planning on him being the long term SS, which I'm sure they are.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

I expect Robert Andino + offense, and better defense then Betemit.

The roster improves, because Betemit can now DH, and split time at 1st.

Yea, that seems fair.
I guess I want the kid to just relax, play the best D he can and see what he can provide with the bat.
I was at the game last night and it looked like he jumped a curve ball on the second homerun. I looked out at Hochevar as Manny was rounding the bases and he was just staring in at Perez his catcher. Probably reading too much into the look but it kind of looked why did we throw that?
One other thing on the play he bobbled early in the game, he recovered and threw a seed over to first. Talk about a plus arm. I also noticed he seemed to be getting help from JJ on positioning a few times. Seems like a nice kid.
@mikeghg

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Well in 2 games he is 4-8 with 3 runs, 2 homers, and 4 rbis.

Now we all know he can't keep that up. So I'll expect a .400 batting average and one home run every two games.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

At least a 700 OPS.

I think he will show very good range and an excellent arm but will make some errors.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I like how Keith Law thinks the Orioles are too aggressive with MM but yet, we were hurting Bundy by not being aggressive enough.

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

His arm is impressive. Should help make up for some misplays. Can't wait to see him work at SS.

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I like how Keith Law thinks the Orioles are too aggressive with MM but yet, we were hurting Bundy by not being aggressive enough.

Law is knowledgable but he seems to have a dislike for the Oriole organization. If they go right, he instantly says they should go left. Not sure what the issue is there but there definitely seems to be one.
@mikeghg

#34 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Lucky 13, per Roch.

A tribute to A Rod.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#35 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Well in 2 games he is 4-8 with 2 runs, 2 homers, and 4 rbis.

Now we all know he can't keep that up. So I'll expect a .400 batting average and one home run every two games.

3 runs, both home runs and after he hit the triple.
  • Chris B likes this

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#36 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yes because all prospects should be handled the same way.

For the record KLaw doesn't think Bundy should be in the majors this season either.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#37 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Law is knowledgable but he seems to have a dislike for the Oriole organization. If they go right, he instantly says they should go left. Not sure what the issue is there but there definitely seems to be one.

I think this is what happens when your team makes the wrong decisions for 14 years in a row.

His assessments of Bundy & Machado seem to be on the money to me, especially since they're different prospects (pitcher vs. hitter), different people, etc. etc.
@JeffLongBP

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

A tribute to A Rod.

He was wearing 3 before... maybe 13 is a tribute to 3 being taken...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#39 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

He was wearing 3 before... maybe 13 is a tribute to 3 being taken...

Could be. But A-Rod is a mentor and idol of Machado, so I'd put my money on that.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Could be. But A-Rod is a mentor and idol of Machado, so I'd put my money on that.

Crap.

3 being taken is how ARod got 13 too...
  • SammyBirdland likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=