What do you expect from Machado?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

Let's assume he stays up for the rest of the season and starts at third on a regular basis. What do you expect offensively and defensively?

I think .260/.325/.400 sounds reasonable. I think he'll be a massive defensive upgrade over Betemit as well.

#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

1.000/1.000/4.000

Seriously, the 3B bar is low. I want average defense and I am expecting .250/.300/.400 line give or take.

#3 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

As an aside, I've seen many--not necessarily here--claim that this call up could somehow hamper Machado's development if he falls on his face. I think that's off base. Realistically, we're only calling him up two-three months earlier than one would have guessed. Also, remember how awful Trout was last season? Not saying they're comparable whatsoever, but it didn't seem to hamper him.

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

I don't now what to expect other than better D than Betemit, which isn't saying much. I'm not sure how he'll transition to third assuming that's where he plays, but the bar is quite low and he has the tools to be good there.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

I expect Robert Andino + offense, and better defense then Betemit.

The roster improves, because Betemit can now DH, and split time at 1st.

#6 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

This

I expect Robert Andino + offense, and better defense then Betemit.

The roster improves, because Betemit can now DH, and split time at 1st.

@MattCLund

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think he'll put up .700+ OPS. Actually the defense concerns me a bit more than the offense considering he hasn't really played there much. There is def an adjustment period and while I know he's been practicing there it's just not the same as the real thing

#8 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

I think he'll put up .700+ OPS. Actually the defense concerns me a bit more than the offense considering he hasn't really played there much. There is def an adjustment period and while I know he's been practicing there it's just not the same as the real thing

Someone mentioned Manny going through a Melvin Mora-like process at third, which I believe too. The O's think he's not only ready now, but ready to contribute to a pennant chance. Incredible.
@MattCLund

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

What number is he gonna wear?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

What number is he gonna wear?

No one is using 8.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

What if Manny plays third really well....do you think the Orioles could just leave him there and forget the idea of him going back to SS?

Btw, I expect him to upgrade the defense at third but its not a slam dunk he will be good over there do soon.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

http://www.baltimore... ... 5994.story

Going to play vs lefties early on.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-calling-up-top-position-player-prospect-manny-machado-from-doublea-bowie-20120808,0,6065994.story

If he isn't playing 5 days a week up here I can't get on board. Hopefully the lefty thing is lip service to ease some of the pressure.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

If he isn't playing 5 days a week up here I can't get on board. Hopefully the lefty thing is lip service to ease some of the pressure.

Many times, with a young player, you bring him along slowly in the majors...play 3-5 times a week and get his feet wet.

The problem with that is, you are bringing him up for him to help you right now in a pennant race, so how much can you really rest him?

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-calling-up-top-position-player-prospect-manny-machado-from-doublea-bowie-20120808,0,6065994.story

Well, if that is true (I don't like it if it is), at least we should get a look at him tonight vs. the lefty Smith.

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Many times, with a young player, you bring him along slowly in the majors...play 3-5 times a week and get his feet wet.

The problem with that is, you are bringing him up for him to help you right now in a pennant race, so how much can you really rest him?

Yeah I think its just an easing in process though Im sure they would love to be playing him every night during this stretch run if he shows he's comfortable and contributing. Just as long as the plan isn't to basically platoon him the rest of the way.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

What if Manny plays third really well....do you think the Orioles could just leave him there and forget the idea of him going back to SS?

Btw, I expect him to upgrade the defense at third but its not a slam dunk he will be good over there do soon.

I think they could plan on him being the 3B for 2013. That would save us having to go out and find a legit 3B. Or we could go make a trade or signing for a good one (Headley again, obviously) and trade Hardy.

I think that Manny will definitely be the next Orioles shortstop after JJ, the question is just when does he take over and is that when you switch JJ or when you trade him or when his contract is up.

#18 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

To walk on water.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

A 700 OPS out of Machado would be a pretty amazing performance for him, IMO. Any expectations over that are probably too high. Although this entire season has been about outpacing expectations, so who knows.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

I had no idea he had committed so many errors in Bowie:

Machado has committed 23 errors, including 22 at shortstop. He made two on one play on the night that he hit for the cycle last weekend.

"Most of his errors here in Bowie have been basically focus errors," Kendall said. "They're errors where he took a play off here and there, errors he can avoid just by playing every pitch. He needs to work on that. But he's got enough arm, got enough tools defensively.

"I just think it's exciting for him."

Machado has limited game experience at third base, playing only twice there, but "he's been doing a lot of work over there," Kendall said. "With that mind, once the seed is planted...

"He takes a lot of ground balls at third. I think he's going to be fine at third with work. He's very athletic. He'll adapt to that position if that's the position they choose.

http://www.masnsport... ... ajors.html

Not thrilled about the bold part, although everything else that Bowie Manager Gary Kendall said about MM was glowing, so I don't want to just take that out of context and blow it up. Hopefully he'll be fully focused up here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=