#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Wonder if as predicted we'll make a push for Hamilton this offseason? God, we could have one hell of a lineup next season.

Well lets not get our hopes up too much in regards to how Manny does this year or next. I don't think it's fair to expect big numbers so soon. If the O's had a half way decent 3B, Manny would be given more time to develop in the minors.

#42 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Anyone think that there's a chance he plays shortstop and moves Hardy?

Also: https://twitter.com/... ... 3100763136

There were few things more enjoyable than calling up a fresh young rookie . . . and then sending that snot headlong into Reb cannon fire.

#43 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Don't know if he is ready, but I'm excited to see what he can do. I figured that he would just move up to AAA and make the Opening Day roster next year.

All this excitement for an in-season promotion reminds me of the time the Orioles promoted Wieters. That worked out quite well.
@mrbeanage

#44 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Anyone think that there's a chance he plays shortstop and moves Hardy?

Also: https://twitter.com/... ... 3100763136

Considering the comments we've heard from Buck and DD? Zero percent.

Also, Old Hoss is awesome.

#45 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

@Kevin_Goldstein: Yes, Manny Machado has officially played just two games at 3B. He's also been working out there CONSTANTLY of late.

#46 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 5994.story

I am NOT happy about this. Let the young man develop and earn a promotion. IMO they are rushing him before he's ready. I'll be excited to see him as much as anyone else... but still, my joy at seeing him is tempered by my disappointment with this promotion.

#47 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-calling-up-top-position-player-prospect-manny-machado-from-doublea-bowie-20120808,0,6065994.story

I am NOT happy about this. Let the young man develop and earn a promotion. IMO they are rushing him before he's ready. I'll be excited to see him as much as anyone else... but still, my joy at seeing him is tempered by my disappointment with this promotion.

What is the downside?
@PeterDiLutis

#48 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-calling-up-top-position-player-prospect-manny-machado-from-doublea-bowie-20120808,0,6065994.story

In reality, it's only two months ahead of schedule. He was probably going to make the OD roster or come up in May next season. If I remember correctly, KLaw even said that Machado could contribute in the majors all the way back in ST (no link, so I may be misremembering). No one in the scouting community has come out saying it's a bad idea yet. From his earlier tweets, Goldstein seems on board and Badler just wrote a piece that could be described as 'neutral' at worst. It's not like he's a pitcher.

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

What is the downside?

In theory, the downside is that he struggles so much that he actually hurts the team and their chances this year, and also gets so out-of-sorts physically or mentally that it takes him years to get back to where he should be.

That's the worst-case scenario, though. Even if he doesn't hit, his defense will be better than the other options and he'll be learning, as long as he plays every day.

#50 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

In theory, the downside is that he struggles so much that he actually hurts the team and their chances this year, and also gets so out-of-sorts physically or mentally that it takes him years to get back to where he should be.

That's the worst-case scenario, though. Even if he doesn't hit, his defense will be better than the other options and he'll be learning, as long as he plays every day.

Hard to believe he'd be worse than Betemit factoring in his offense and defense.

And as I've said for years, if the second part of your post happens, then he was never going to make it.
@PeterDiLutis

#51 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

What is the downside?

What's the downside of rushing a prospect? Well, there are probably hundreds of cases where rushing a prospect ruined/derailed that player's career. It just seems to be a move borne of desperation. I worry he'll hit .200 and have 10 errors at a position he has had very little experience at... all in a pennant race. I hope he shows that he's able to handle it, obviously, but my instincts say this is a bad move... that it's just too soon.

I am a huge Machado fan... my record/posts speaks to this, but regardless, I'll be as glued as anyone to the TV tomorrow.

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hard to believe he'd be worse than Betemit factoring in his offense and defense.

And as I've said for years, if the second part of your post happens, then he was never going to make it.

Absolutely. And I definitely don't think that it will--or even realistically could--happen.

At the absolute least, he'll play really good defense, and since the reports on him are very high on his batting eye I think he'll hit well enough to keep around this season and be the Opening Day shortstop next spring.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts off relatively hot.

#53 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

What's the downside of rushing a prospect? Well, there are probably hundreds of cases where rushing a prospect ruined/derailed that player's career. It just seems to be a move borne of desperation. I worry he'll hit .200 and have 10 errors at a position he has had very little experience at... all in a pennant race. I hope he shows that he's able to handle it, obviously, but my instincts say this is a bad move... that it's just too soon.

I am a huge Machado fan... my record/posts speaks to this, but regardless, I'll be as glued as anyone to the TV tomorrow.

Who do you feel has been rushed in recent years to support your theory?
@PeterDiLutis

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Roch:

BTW, Machado homered tonight for Bowie. Crushed a changeup. People I've talked to say he will adapt to majors and 3B with little problem

#55 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

How does this affect his service time?

Really? Who cares? :lol:

#56 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Well, there are probably hundreds of cases where rushing a prospect ruined/derailed that player's career. It just seems to be a move borne of desperation. I worry he'll hit .200 and have 10 errors at a position he has had very little experience at... all in a pennant race. I hope he shows that he's able to handle it, obviously, but my instincts say this is a bad move... that it's just too soon.

I think that's a fallacy. Of those hundreds of cases, most were just not going to thrive anyway. I suppose there are a fraction of players who lose confidence and implode. But if a player is THAT fragile, what are the chances that they were going to succeed anyway.

#57 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Who do you feel has been rushed in recent years to support your theory?

You're not seriously saying that "rushing prospects" is MY theory... are you? Here is an article that speaks to the essence of my feelings on the subject.

http://espn.go.com/m... ... ket-minors

Again, if scouts feel Manny is ready, then that's great, I'll be rooting him on big time. Maybe it's the parent in me... maybe I fret over things more than I should...

Time will tell.

#58 Remember The Alomar

Remember The Alomar
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Really? Who cares? :lol:

Has anyone ever seen DD and JTrea in the same room?

Didn't think so.

#59 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

I think that's a fallacy. Of those hundreds of cases, most were just not going to thrive anyway. I suppose there are a fraction of players who lose confidence and implode. But if a player is THAT fragile, what are the chances that they were going to succeed anyway.

Baseball has been around a looooong time. Perhaps 'hundreds' is an exaggeration, perhaps not... and it's not necessarily fair to say someone thrust into a situation before their time and failing makes them "fragile". I understand where you're coming from, but this doesn't change my thinking that Manny may be brought up before he's ready.

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

Machado is def going to be starting. I also don't really believe he is being rushied. I fully expected him to break camp next year or at least be up by June if we really wanted to keep him for that extra year. Obviously, the O's feel he's not only ready but can help contribute to a playoff drive. I mean thats the only reason to be promoting him now. It's not like they are doing this for plubicity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=