Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#101 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Played Friday at Maryland GCC and shot a 3 over 76.  Left putts on the table that could've made the day really special.  

Had a last minute opportunity to play Caves Valley yesterday.  Constellation sponsored The Senior Players Championship there this weekend and a good friend of mine took me out.

The experience was absolutely amazing and we played it from the same tees and pins the seniors played on Sunday.  It was stroke play as well.

I had a tough time getting along with my caddie for the first nine holes.  He was trying to club me and it just wasn't working.  I also couldn't read a putt for shit and was blowing off his advice.  After shooting a 45 on the front, we agreed that I would play my bag and he would read my putts.  That clicked and I shot 39 on the back.  Amazing day but I'm feeling all that walking in the heat right now

• JeremyStrain likes this
@Miller192

#102 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

Yea, no doubt.  

My biggest issue is swing tempo.  Just slowing down my swing changes my game a lot. That is the one thing I have to totally focus on and I don't do it with every shot.  My swing speed has always been too fast.  Caused a big slice.  I just never knew where the ball was going.  I was told by different coaches that I was really close because my swing was fine...its just that I was too fast around the impact zone.  Slowing down my swing allows for more of the natural motions to kick in and allow the club face to square up.  

The short game lesson I got just taught me things I didn't know about and didn't realize I was doing wrong, so that was a huge help.  It also has helped me in that 80-130 range, which was a big struggle for me.  If nothing else, it has helped me reduce those awful around the green shots that end up costing you 2-3 more strokes on a given hole.

I doubt you are going too fast at impact but going too fast at the start of the downswing.  You want impact to be the fastest part of the swing and you should build up to that.

@Miller192

#103 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

I just flat out can't putt.  Ruined two good ball striking days on Friday and today with my horrible putting.

I don't make anything.  I'd rather have a 25 foot putt than a 7 foot putt.  Its so frustrating but I think Im going to buy a new putter to try and get into a honeymoon period.

@Miller192

#104 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

I just flat out can't putt. Ruined two good ball striking days on Friday and today with my horrible putting.

I don't make anything. I'd rather have a 25 foot putt than a 7 foot putt. Its so frustrating but I think Im going to buy a new putter to try and get into a honeymoon period.

Putting is my consistent weakness. I can't roll the ball pure. Have done it on occasion but I have no idea how. You seem to know a lot about the game and equipment so I'm sure I'm not offering any real advice but I know a guy who is taller and went to one of the short putters and found some success.

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

87 today at Bay Hills (par 70) despite being 9 over thru 4. Seven pars plus a bird over the final 14 holes.

#106 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Bought a new putter.  Scotty Cameron Newport 2.

This better work!

@Miller192

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Scotty Cameron, damn.  I bet that feels real smooth off of the putter face.  Hope you can solve your issues, sounds like that's the only weakness in your game.

Just ordered new irons, myself.  In the past season or two I've broke my 5I, 7I, and PW and also got a chip on my AW and got tired of replacing each piecemeal with used, non-matching clubs.  Have had them for about 8 years so I think I got decent run out of them.

#108 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Scotty Cameron, damn.  I bet that feels real smooth off of the putter face.  Hope you can solve your issues, sounds like that's the only weakness in your game.

Just ordered new irons, myself.  In the past season or two I've broke my 5I, 7I, and PW and also got a chip on my AW and got tired of replacing each piecemeal with used, non-matching clubs.  Have had them for about 8 years so I think I got decent run out of them.

Thanks.  I hope it does.  Ball is coming off the putter head much easier than it did with my Odyssey Metal X.  Putting is my glaring weakness but I going to change that hopefully.

What clubs did you order?  Did you get fit or just buy them off the shelf?

@Miller192

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Off the shelf M2 irons.  I'm still at the point where I need the forgiveness of a game improvement iron.

Probably should have gotten fit, but a friend of a friend works for Taylor Made so I got a 40% discount for off-the-shelf.  I got fit before when I bought the previous set and they didn't recommend anything customized, just that I need stiff flex given my swing speed.

#110 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'm a big fan of matching up the shafts to the right club head.  If you bought something off the rack, you're probably fine.

I got a new set of Mizuno JPX 900 Tours (Set that Koepka plays) and it was an entire club shorter than my current Mizunos.  Ended up selling them on eBay.

Had to be a shaft problem

@Miller192

#111 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

Breaking News:  I still can't putt.

Shot 79 on Sunday with 3, 3 putts.

@Miller192

#112 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

Breaking News:  I still can't putt.

Shot 79 on Sunday with 3, 3 putts.

WAH! I shot a 79!!! WAAAAHHHHH!!!

Anyway, I hate 3 putting (or more) so I kinda feel your pain.

• SportsGuy, Miller192 and CantonJester like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#113 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Played a best ball tournament with some old fire department friends last week. I sort of wish I was keeping score for myself cause it might have been one of my best rounds. Drove the ball well which helped us because the guys I played with are older, when I hit a solid drive, they don't even try. I hit 270-280, they top out at 250. 

One guy on our team is consistently shooting 70s. Iron game is pro like despite hitting 230-250 off the tee. 

So we had a lot of birdie putts. On one par 3 I made birdie for us by myself in unlikely fashion. I wasn't closest to the pin but about 40 feet to the left. The ball we were going to use was 15 feet to the right. So with a beer in one hand and putter in the other, I stroked the ball toward the other ball sort of aiming for the hole in the process but not trying to sink it by any means, ended up right in the hole. We'll take it. 

Also from about 85 yards on another hole I stuck a wedge 6 inches away. 

Ended up tired by the last 3 holes and my game went to hell. Too many beers, and first round in about 3 months.

@BSLMikeRandall

#114 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Played a best ball tournament with some old fire department friends last week. I sort of wish I was keeping score for myself cause it might have been one of my best rounds. Drove the ball well which helped us because the guys I played with are older, when I hit a solid drive, they don't even try. I hit 270-280, they top out at 250. 

One guy on our team is consistently shooting 70s. Iron game is pro like despite hitting 230-250 off the tee. 

So we had a lot of birdie putts. On one par 3 I made birdie for us by myself in unlikely fashion. I wasn't closest to the pin but about 40 feet to the left. The ball we were going to use was 15 feet to the right. So with a beer in one hand and putter in the other, I stroked the ball toward the other ball sort of aiming for the hole in the process but not trying to sink it by any means, ended up right in the hole. We'll take it.

Also from about 85 yards on another hole I stuck a wedge 6 inches away. 

Ended up tired by the last 3 holes and my game went to hell. Too many beers, and first round in about 3 months.

F@&K You!!

• Mike in STL likes this
@Miller192

#115 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

F@&K You!!

Lol

#116 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

F@&K You!!

If you aren't putting with a beer in your hand you're doing it wrong.

@BSLMikeRandall

#117 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Scotty Cameron is going on Ebay.  That is all.

• Dutch likes this
@Miller192

#118 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

So I played Worthington Manor yesterday. Shot a 110. Ouch. Tough course, challenging greens. Had trouble everywhere, but did some good stuff in all aspects too. Just no consistency.

I really need to focus on my short game & chipping...I give up so many strokes getting to the green from less than 100 yards out.

It's also time for new clubs. I can't get any distance on my irons...some of that is me, but some of it is the clubs -- they're $99 RAM golf clubs from 20 years ago. Well past time for some new ones.

So I am looking to get a set of used clubs for around $500. What should I be in the market for? I would like to have steel shafts, have graphite now. I've hit a few of my friends' steel irons and they just feel much more meatier. Any recommendations?

Quick search got me these:

https://www.2ndswing...lcavecchia.aspx

Not a bad price...seem to be geared toward my weaknesses/strengths.

• Miller192 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

So I played Worthington Manor yesterday. Shot a 110. Ouch. Tough course, challenging greens. Had trouble everywhere, but did some good stuff in all aspects too. Just no consistency.

I really need to focus on my short game & chipping...I give up so many strokes getting to the green from less than 100 yards out.

It's also time for new clubs. I can't get any distance on my irons...some of that is me, but some of it is the clubs -- they're $99 RAM golf clubs from 20 years ago. Well past time for some new ones.

So I am looking to get a set of used clubs for around $500. What should I be in the market for? I would like to have steel shafts, have graphite now. I've hit a few of my friends' steel irons and they just feel much more meatier. Any recommendations?

For guys like us, higher handicappers, can't go wrong with anything Callaway or Taylor Made. Cavity back style had a larger sweet spot and are more forgiving. "Forged" irons have a smaller sweet spot, but you can shape shots easier with them, draws, fades. I don't know about you, but I have hard enough time hitting it straight, I'm nowhere near needing to try to shape shots. 

For $500, go to a golf galaxy or similar store in your area and see what they got. I bought new (end of model year) Callaway X-Hot irons three years back and they ran me about $399. Also during a sale. Labor weekend they might have something. That includes fitting with a pro which could help your game. Ended up getting mine made a 1/2" longer and they adjusted the lie angle a degree or two. Spend a little extra and get custom grips too. Stock grips suck. Get something sticky so you don't have to grip the club too tight (lose distance when you do) but also doesn't feel like the club will fly out of your fingers.

It's a big purchase when you think about it. You hope to not need to replace your irons for years. So take your time at the store and try a few types on the swing monitor, see what feels good to you. 

• NewMarketSean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Quick search got me these:

https://www.2ndswing...lcavecchia.aspx

Not a bad price...seem to be geared toward my weaknesses/strengths.

Just saw this.  Did you buy those sticks?

@Miller192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=