Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:10 PM

What did you score on that 9? Probably like 33 or something right?

If I did that I'd have played again.  Promptly!

#182 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 05:44 PM

Anyone here play still?

What’s in your bag?

Just ordered my set of Ping G425 irons, should be here mid-May. Can’t believe how long they’re still taking.

Hope to play more this year. Last year was a down year for me. Got out maybe 5 times.

Glad to hear you’re loving it. Doing the lessons is a huge help, and the same price as a round of golf. It’s the right thing to do when getting started.

If you’re breaking 100, you are doing better than 85% of golfers. You’re full swings are probably decent. Get out to a chipping/putting green and dial in the short game. Easier said than done. I can’t chip worth a damn. But it’s definitely the key to breaking 90… which I’ve done exactly once ever (88).
@BSLMikeRandall

#183 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:09 PM

Hope to play more this year. Last year was a down year for me. Got out maybe 5 times.

Glad to hear you’re loving it. Doing the lessons is a huge help, and the same price as a round of golf. It’s the right thing to do when getting started.

If you’re breaking 100, you are doing better than 85% of golfers. You’re full swings are probably decent. Get out to a chipping/putting green and dial in the short game. Easier said than done. I can’t chip worth a damn. But it’s definitely the key to breaking 90… which I’ve done exactly once ever (88).

Full swings are solid off the tee and 7-iron and up. Six and below, not so much, including hybrids/woods off the deck. Really struggle getting above 165 off the deck with any consistency. Chipping is great, putting slightly below average. I just need to get better with my 4/5 iron. That's been my focus for a couple months now. 

Congrats on your sub-90, hard to even fathom that. 

#184 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:40 PM

Full swings are solid off the tee and 7-iron and up. Six and below, not so much, including hybrids/woods off the deck. Really struggle getting above 165 off the deck with any consistency. Chipping is great, putting slightly below average. I just need to get better with my 4/5 iron. That's been my focus for a couple months now.

Congrats on your sub-90, hard to even fathom that.

I struggle with the longer irons too. Don’t even carry a 4-iron. Use a 4 hybrid. The best tip I remember about those are that we inherently try to help the ball in the air with the long clubs, but it’s important to hit down on the ball still. Ball a titch forward in your stance from the middle. Only time I hit them flush, is if I get my hips through a little earlier than usual.

Funny I know what works, but can’t execute it consistently to save my life.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#185 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:11 PM

I have. Played 2-3 times a week all summer and fall. In the winter have been getting lessons at this indoor sim place in NoVa. Been playing for about 9 months now and I’m pretty consistently breaking 100. Just love it. Never had so much fun sucking so badly at something, lol.

I've played 4 rounds since this post. My scores: 123, 117, 110, 114. 

As Lee Corso would say... 

lee-corso-not-so-fast.jpg

Golf is insane. Gotta love it. 

#186 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:46 PM

We will get out and play this spring. I havent played in 3 years so we can spray the ball all over the course together.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#187 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:52 PM

We will get out and play this spring. I havent played in 3 years so we can spray the ball all over the course together.

Let's get a BSL 4-some (or more) going, could be cute. 

We should do this before Randall heads to St. Louis. 

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#188 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 05:51 PM

Let's get a BSL 4-some (or more) going, could be cute.

We should do this before Randall heads to St. Louis.

Already out here my friend. Appreciate you thinking of me though.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=