Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#161 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:24 AM

Really hitting my driver nicely. Still have the occasional pull or slice, but overall, I am very happy with my long game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#162 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:55 AM

Played two rounds yesterday. One at Ocean Pines which is kind of a dump and Baywood Greens which was beautiful. Only ten dollar price difference between the two which is amazing. Anyway played well in first round, shot at 98, completely unraveled in the second round. Like, first time I picked up a club unraveled. I don’t know if it was fatigue, or the humidity, or what. But it was bad. Somewhat rebounded in the last 4-5 holes. Really tough course with a lot of hazards. Lots of water. Lost a lot of balls.

I’m playing again today so hopefully I didn’t completely nuke my game yesterday. I had been pleased with how I had been playing. But playing two rounds in a day is something I don’t ever need to do again.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#163 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:17 AM

Yesterday was better but not by much. Chunked the hell out of irons all day and left too many strokes on each hole. 

I need a break to forget all the bad stuff I started doing and then I’ll head to range to try and work it out before next round. 

#164 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

Shot a 91 the other day..my best score ever.

Should have easily broken 90 but slow greens and a few bad holes hurt me.

Haven’t been playing well lately so that was a nice surprise.

Been getting off the tee very well..second shots have been brutal. Not staying down on the ball well at all.

#165 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

Playing Renditions Saturday. Not the course I want to play on my way back from my epic breakdown but I’ve been hitting them better at the driving range and a friend had a spot available. Plus it’s two for one since they just airated their greens so they’re letting you come back and play for free at later date.

#166 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:46 PM

Just started playing golf about a month ago. Got my first lesson 3 weeks ago, and it has made a huge impact. I had to unlearn my baseball swing from the 2 or 3 times a year I golfed every year in the past. This time I'm really going for it.

Just completed my bag too, went with all Cleveland. The HB Turbo Launcher Irons (5-SW) with graphite, regular flex shafts. The HB Turbo Launcher driver and 3 wood. The Cleveland Halo Hybrids (3H and 4H). And a 64 degree full face RTX wedge, and a 58 degree full face CBX wedge. Huntington Beach Premiere Soft Putter #4. These clubs are perfect for me.

How about you guys? Anyone getting after it this season? What's in your bag?

Also, any big pointers for a beginner would be great. Podcasts, coaches on YouTube, etc. I've watched a few of Rick Shiels videos on YouTube and he's great.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#167 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:55 PM

Just started playing golf about a month ago. Got my first lesson 3 weeks ago, and it has made a huge impact. I had to unlearn my baseball swing from the 2 or 3 times a year I golfed every year in the past. This time I'm really going for it.

Just completed my bag too, went with all Cleveland. The HB Turbo Launcher Irons (5-SW) with graphite, regular flex shafts. The HB Turbo Launcher driver and 3 wood. The Cleveland Halo Hybrids (3H and 4H). And a 64 degree full face RTX wedge, and a 58 degree full face CBX wedge. Huntington Beach Premiere Soft Putter #4. These clubs are perfect for me.

How about you guys? Anyone getting after it this season? What's in your bag?

Also, any big pointers for a beginner would be great. Podcasts, coaches on YouTube, etc. I've watched a few of Rick Shiels videos on YouTube and he's great.

Putting is the easiest place to cut down strokes for us high handicappers. It’s the club you’ll take the most strokes with in a round.

Try to never three putt. Practicing putting isn’t fun, but do it. When I practice I try to putt with a tempo that drawing the putter back 1 inch = 3 feet of travel on a flat green. 3 feet = about 1 pace for me. I always walk off about the number of paces from my ball to the hole (without walking in mine or anyone else line of course). If it’s 6 paces, 6 inch backswing. Then adjust. Is it down hill, maybe 4,5 inches. Is it up hill, maybe 7,8 inches. Have the greens been fast or slow? Factor that in. When you set up for practice swings, picture an imaginary line where you want to stop your backswing and hit that spot.

At a point every inch of backswing adds more than 1 pace of distance because physics I guess. Those really long ones, 15 paces, about 10 inches gets it there for me.

Basically, find a system to dial in your speed. If you don’t sink em all, it’s ok. As long as you putt in the right general direction, good speed leads to an easy two putt. Sometimes it actually goes in on the first try. High handicappers, two putts, luck gives a couple one putts, good for me. Putting for par and walking off with double bogey is the absolute worst.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#168 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

Playing for the first time in a few years tomorrow. Hit a bucket of balls today.

I decided to choke up on every swing and only swing half way. The ball goes straight but only about 75 yards regardless of club.

Meh. We will see how it goes

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#169 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

Playing for the first time in a few years tomorrow. Hit a bucket of balls today.

I decided to choke up on every swing and only swing half way. The ball goes straight but only about 75 yards regardless of club.

Meh. We will see how it goes

If it goes straight, it doesn't matter how far it goes. Best thing I've learned so far is not trying to crush it results in a much more fluid and clean golf shot.

#170 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:49 PM

If it goes straight, it doesn't matter how far it goes. Best thing I've learned so far is not trying to crush it results in a much more fluid and clean golf shot.

My problem, and I can’t help it. I get to the range and hit some wedges nice and easy to loosen up. They are the best shots I hit all day. Once I’m loose I’m swinging too hard.
@BSLMikeRandall

#171 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 01:47 PM

Anyone here play still?

What’s in your bag?

Just ordered my set of Ping G425 irons, should be here mid-May. Can’t believe how long they’re still taking.

#172 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 01:51 PM

Anyone here play still?

What’s in your bag?

Just ordered my set of Ping G425 irons, should be here mid-May. Can’t believe how long they’re still taking.

Sounds like you caught the bug. Good for you. Its a great game. I havent played in a few years now but thats more about situational stuff vs not liking it.

#173 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:21 PM

Sounds like you caught the bug. Good for you. Its a great game. I havent played in a few years now but thats more about situational stuff vs not liking it.

I have. Played 2-3 times a week all summer and fall. In the winter have been getting lessons at this indoor sim place in NoVa. Been playing for about 9 months now and I’m pretty consistently breaking 100. Just love it. Never had so much fun sucking so badly at something, lol.

#174 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:32 PM

Thats awesome. Consistently breaking 100 9 months in is not anything to laugh at. Especially starting relatively later in life.

#175 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:37 PM

I’m quite pleased. Unlearning the quirky baseball stuff has been the hardest. Particularly with the hands/wrists. Things like grip, wrist inflexion, etc. are so crucial to the swing, and feel so foreign if you came up in a different sport. Fortunately I don’t suffer from “that one time” syndrome like so many other golfers do, which keep them stuck where they are.

But it came at a price. When I changed my grip and started fixing my wrists mid-summer, I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Just a brutal stretch of golf. Tops-central. Total meltdowns.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#176 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:41 PM

Good stuff. Wish I had taken the time to get good lessons and learn the right mechanics

#177 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:46 PM

I tell my friends with kids, If they love them, teach them golf young.

Fortunately, for youth there are very affordable clinics and camps in the area. For adults, it’s quite pricey. I pay $200/month for 2-1 hour lessons per month and 2 hours of indoor sim practice per week. Well worth it, particularly since I’m not golfing in the winter, but that’s another sizable bill. I’m blessed I can do this right now while I don’t have kids.

#178 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:47 PM

There’s some great YouTube resources, but you really need a coach to see some things. But guys like Rick Shiels and even golfers like DeChambeau or Morikawa have some good resources out there.

#179 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:52 PM

I think I've played 9 holes in the last 2 1/2 years.  Miss it.  But gonna be a couple more years before I get a chance to play more than completely sporadically.  

#180 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 February 2022 - 02:53 PM

I think I've played 9 holes in the last 2 1/2 years. Miss it. But gonna be a couple more years before I get a chance to play more than completely sporadically.

What did you score on that 9? Probably like 33 or something right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=