Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Careful with this, a larger grip can cause some unwanted fading.. 

Ooh...might it "cure" some unwanted drawing?

#62 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

Ooh...might it "cure" some unwanted drawing?

Haha, that sounds like a hook.  Hands going before the lower half.. 

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

Haha, that sounds like a hook.  Hands going before the lower half.. 

Yeah, that's my natural or comfortable swing.  At least with irons.  I've gotta really fight to make sure my hips go through before my hands.

#64 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

If you guys ever need lessons there is a great guy at night hawk golf named Mark Russo.  He really helped my Dad who is a high HC a lot. 

www.markrussopga.com/

• Mike in STL likes this

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Swung my new clubs today. Def need lessons lol. And towards the end of the bucket my back started to clinch up.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Swung my new clubs today. Def need lessons lol. And towards the end of the bucket my back started to clinch up.

Thats why I hate hitting large buckets at the range. Too many swings too fast. Happens to me too. Plus you start to come out of your swing. For me, overthinking definitely hurts, but you do have to think some and when you're swinging so often I don't.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#67 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

Careful with this, a larger grip can cause some unwanted fading..

Yeah, that's what I've read about midsize grips. That it's harder to draw the ball. In the past I've had weak fades but Ive also had times where I snap hook so my issues aren't always consistent. I got an old set. I think I'm going to get a midsize put on the 5 iron and 8 iron and swing them for awhile before I get anything done to my current set.

#68 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Playing Bay Club in OC on Monday. First tee time at 0630. That should be fun. Played it a long time ago when it was Deer Run. Been two months since I played hopefully the sucktitude reached an expiration date and I shoot a decent round. I also haven't swung a club since the last time I played so that may also be a good or bad thing for me. Oh well.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#69 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Man do I suck off the tee. If there is a checklist of things to do wrong I guarantee I check off all of them.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Man do I suck off the tee. If there is a checklist of things to do wrong I guarantee I check off all of them.

I would bet you should shorten your back swing.

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

I would bet you should shorten your back swing.

You know, when I shorten my backswing on drives, I push or slice everything because my hands make it to the ball before my hips clear. If I backswing like John Daly, my big guy hips have more time to get out of the way and my drives are beautiful. I'm just not consistent at anything. But hit about 3 or 4 real pro like shots a round.

One of those things where you just gotta find whatever works for you.
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

The problem with shortening the backswing is that most golfers feel that they haven't made a full turn.  They then rush the upper body because they feel that they have to hit it harder to compensate for a short swing.

@Miller192

#73 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Played at the Bay Club in OC. It's a pretty easy course, straight holes, pretty wide open, not many hazards. I shot a 55 on the front, 45 on the back. The front 9 was destroyed by 3 consecutive holes where I had a combined 23. Aside from those bad holes I was pretty satisfied with my play. I really tried to focus on smooth, clean swings and let the club do the work. It's so ironic that the less hard you swing, the farther and straighter the ball goes. Solid day from the tees, I think I had maybe 2 or 3 bad tee shots, lost just one tee shot. Short game was working well, putting was solid in the back nine. Probably my second best round, as sad as that sounds. Eager to try to keep it going, I might try to play on Sunday. 

• JamesGallden likes this

#74 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

Handicap is a 5.1 as of the July 1st update.

Really want to get into the 3s by the end of the summer.

I'm a terrible putter

@Miller192

#75 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Handicap is a 5.1 as of the July 1st update.

Really want to get into the 3s by the end of the summer.

I'm a terrible putter

I'm the opposite. Baseball destroyed my golf swing, so I can't hit off a tee to save my life, but my short game is pretty solid. I think it's cause the "mini golf" place I used to blow off steam when I was in my teens was just a bunch of tricky sloped greens, there were no obstacles to speak of, so I got pretty good at reading break at good distances.

@JeremyMStrain

#76 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

Shot a 73 the other day, par 70.  4 over on the front -1 under on the back.  Started on 10.  Doubled 8 pulled a tee shot OB par 3. Then 3 putted for bogey on 9.  

Then the next day followed it up with something in the 90's.  

Eff golf.  

#77 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Mods could you move to the golf forum, I wasn't aware that there was one when I started this. Thanks!

#78 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

I played South Hills in Hanover yesterday. Ended up playing 36 holes since they charged $8 for a replay.

First round I shot a 113. Putting was horrendous, short game sucked...you name it, I wasn't doing it right. I settled down the second half of the back 9 and...

Shot a 99 on the second round. Everything got better, but I still need to work on my putting. I still 3 and 4 putt when I should be 2 putting more often. There were a few times where I was putting for par and 3 putted. Disgusting.

I'm also notorious for being 100-150 yards out and hitting the ball way left. The ball is straight, but I must not be lined up properly. 

Spent a lot of time punching out from inside a bunch of trees.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Two mediocre to bad rounds this weekend.  91 at Clifton Park Friday after work.  98 at Bay Hills Sunday morning.  Iron play has been abysmal, hooking everything.  Driver inconsistent, will hit a couple good ones in a row and then hit a crazy sharp slice that is dead OB instantly.  Chipping and especially putting has been solid of late, manages to keep my score reasonable on most holes even if I've made a mess of the first few shots.

#80 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Played The Currituck Club on vacation this past Thursday.  Wind was brutally tough, never seen anything like it.

Shot 83 with 4 doubles which were all wind aided.  I'll take it, it could've been a lot worse.

@Miller192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=