You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:46 PM

That's a lot of accusations.

Is there usually a single attorney for things like this? Like with the accusations against Trump when there were multiple? Or Harvey Weinstein? Or Andrew Cuomo?

Totally understand why things like this come out in bunches when they do, so tons of follow up accusations after one is made doesn't make me think anything. But it all being the same attorney strikes me as perhaps a little bit odd.

If any truth to this, then Watson's career should be over (at least I'd cut him and/or never sign him if I ran a team). Probably won't actually because he's so good and it's not flat out rape. But this would be a real scary pattern of predatory behavior.

I'm extremely confident this type of behavior is very prominent among pro athletes. Not defending it.

#242 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

Here's something I didn't realize until just today....according to Profootballtalk.com, some of these lawsuits have multiple accusers. There were 24 total when that was published, and that was before the two new ones were filed today. Sadly, given the volume I think there are only two possibilities at this point:

1) Deshaun Watson is, as one accuser described, a serial predator.

2) This is a highly orchestrated campaign to destroy Deshaun Watson.

#243 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:23 PM

Here's something I didn't realize until just today....according to Profootballtalk.com, some of these lawsuits have multiple accusers. There were 24 total when that was published, and that was before the two new ones were filed today. Sadly, given the volume I think there are only two possibilities at this point:

Could be a mix of both. A lot of smoke thats for sure.

#244 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:34 PM

Could be a mixture.

He did some stuff that was, by the letter of the law, illegal-but-consensual, and now people are getting the opportunity to collect on those illegal acts, with the help of some skilled representation. 

Option 1 could absolutely be on the table and (especially after Ray Rice) I'm not denying that a person who has seemed like a model citizen actually is NOT, but the timing/organizational structure gives me pause. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#245 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

Could be a mix of both. A lot of smoke thats for sure.

Could be a mixture.

He did some stuff that was, by the letter of the law, illegal-but-consensual, and now people are getting the opportunity to collect on those illegal acts, with the help of some skilled representation. 

Option 1 could absolutely be on the table and (especially after Ray Rice) I'm not denying that a person who has seemed like a model citizen actually is NOT, but the timing/organizational structure gives me pause. 

Yeah, I could see where that is plausible. Some of the women could have a legitimate case against him, while others not so much but maybe they want to see if they can get something out of it anyway.

#246 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:32 AM

The Undefeated: From prized QB to pariah: What don’t we know about the Deshaun Watson situation?

https://theundefeate...tson-situation/

#247 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:14 AM

Kalyn Kahler’s piece on Watson over at the Defector should be required reading.

Could be a mixture.

Read the article I linked. 

#248 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:56 AM

Sounds like a really weird and creepy dude.

#249 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:02 AM

Jenny Vrentas has another article that seems to note a lot of this from another, non-suit-related source:

https://www.si.com/n...-not-in-lawsuit

#250 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

Kalyn Kahler’s piece on Watson over at the Defector should be required reading.

Read the article I linked. 

Yeah I read that. 

So it's extremely likely it's option 1.

A part of me still believes that this is coming out because of his attitude this offseason (IOW, what did the Texans know/enable, allegedly?), but yeesh. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

#251 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:12 AM

This is pretty terrible stuff. The guy needs help. And you gotta feel terrible for women who go into that industry and have to deal with this crap. My only other thought on this is, if you want to look at the way society and the system deals with situations like this when the perp is black vs. white, keep an eye on this process vs. what happened with Bob Kraft (nothing at all, basically). 

#252 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

I think the Texans are going to massively regret not trading him before this story broke.  Instead of 3 1st round picks and one young good player they're gonna end up with a boatload of dead money and no quarterback.

Seems like a ton of smoke here.  It still seems odd to me that the legal stuff is all coming through a single lawyer, but maybe that's not an uncommon practice, I just don't know.  If it is a conspiracy against Watson, it's an awfully well coordinated one. 

#253 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:57 AM

Wasn't Kraft at least consensual sex work (however consensual that industry can be viewed)?  This is way worse and if true the repercussions will be justifiably harsher and not because Watson is black, IMO.

#254 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

Wasn't Kraft at least consensual sex work (however consensual that industry can be viewed)?  This is way worse and if true the repercussions will be justifiably harsher and not because Watson is black, IMO.

Hard disagree here. Part of the problem is, we don't know much at all about Kraft because of the measures he took to protect himself. None of that is "consensual", IMO.

#255 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:18 AM

Hard disagree here. Part of the problem is, we don't know much at all about Kraft because of the measures he took to protect himself. None of that is "consensual", IMO.

But Kraft was a john.  The police busted the location and he was there (or they found him there on video, I forget which, either way it's the same).  It wasn't a case where one of the employees accused him of something that employee and the business didn't willfully agree to.  (with the major exception that it's possible this business was dealing in sex trafficking and the employees are working against their will...I have no idea if that was the case here).

Watson is accused of being much closer to Harvey Weinstein than Robert Kraft, IMO.  And I think Weinstein was pretty thoroughly dealt with by the justice system despite being an extremely wealthy white guy.

I will say that Kraft and the place he visited both perpetuate a viewpoint of massage parlors as being rub & tugs rather than legitimate physical therapy.  And that mindset has got to be a major part of why Watson felt he could take advantage of these people that he hired for massages.

• You Play to Win the Game and Steve55 like this

#256 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:41 AM

But Kraft was a john.  The police busted the location and he was there (or they found him there on video, I forget which, either way it's the same).  It wasn't a case where one of the employees accused him of something that employee and the business didn't willfully agree to.  (with the major exception that it's possible this business was dealing in sex trafficking and the employees are working against their will...I have no idea if that was the case here).

Watson is accused of being much closer to Harvey Weinstein than Robert Kraft, IMO.  And I think Weinstein was pretty thoroughly dealt with by the justice system despite being an extremely wealthy white guy.

I will say that Kraft and the place he visited both perpetuate a viewpoint of massage parlors as being rub & tugs rather than legitimate physical therapy.  And that mindset has got to be a major part of why Watson felt he could take advantage of these people that he hired for massages.

While I fully agree with your assessment based on what we know, the fact that evidence was destroyed (and the fact that this was a trafficking business, whether Kraft, who knew the guys, knew or not) muddies it up a bit.

Watson would be worse, I agree. I don't think there's a way around that.

#257 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

I needed a shower after reading that article I linked last night. There’s perhaps an unchecked sociopathy that has been brewing in the mind of Deshaun Watson. Makes you wonder what happened at Clemson. 

#258 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:07 PM

It was only a matter of time before there was a criminal investigation.

https://thehill.com/...-deshaun-watson

#259 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:55 PM

Aaron Wilson, former Ravens beat writer for The Sun; out at the Houston Chronicle.

https://profootballt...on-his-job/amp/
@BSLMikeRandall

#260 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:22 AM

Aaron Wilson, former Ravens beat writer for The Sun; out at the Houston Chronicle.

https://profootballt...on-his-job/amp/

Sounds like its deserved.
  • Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=