#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

No doubt, though a lot of Ravens fans dislike the Pats more. I don't. It's very close. But it's still the Steelers for me. Their fans are everywhere.

I dislike the Pats more too...But Pitt is still your division rival.

The one good thing is Pitt can be as dumb as us, so that can help negate the stupid advantage the other team has on the Ravens.  (BTW, this is one reason why if they go away from harbaugh that I want McDaniels brought in...He knows what it takes to not be dumb)

#22 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

I hate to say it, I'd love to see McDaniels.

THOUGH, I do wonder why Pees didn't bring more of the game plan to game plan approach in from NEP. Especially on defense...

#23 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Ravens running game, what's that?

We were able to run on the Eagles yesterday too...still couldn't find it. 

Heck...teams that drop 7 or 8 into coverage should be able to be run on period...or least taken much more advantage of in the PA game. 

Do any of us trust the Ravens coaching staff to get that right. 

They didn't really have the ball very much yesterday, but the run/pass ratio was solid and they had 151 yards on 24 attempts. 6.3 YPC.

@gabefergy

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

You know whats wrong with our OLine?  We don't have that bruising type line that just wears teams down as the game goes on.   

#25 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:24 PM

They didn't really have the ball very much yesterday, but the run/pass ratio was solid and they had 151 yards on 24 attempts. 6.3 YPC.

I meant volume. And despite an effective running game, what did we do, throw it with 6:30 to play...when we should have and had to run it, we chose to pass it. Still can't believe that. 

Joe needs to be allowed to / able to check out of that stuff. And even if he isn't supposed to, he should have. 

#26 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

I meant volume. And despite an effective running game, what did we do, throw it with 6:30 to play...when we should have and had to run it, we chose to pass it. Still can't believe that. 

Joe needs to be allowed to / able to check out of that stuff. And even if he isn't supposed to, he should have. 

24 rush attempts out of 57 total plays is low volume? That might be the highest run/pass ratio all season. The pass play at the end of the game is a bad decision and even worse execution for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Ravens ran the ball a considerable amount and ran it well. What does Joe audibling/not audibling have to do with anything?

@gabefergy

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

24 rush attempts out of 57 total plays is low volume? That might be the highest run/pass ratio all season. The pass play at the end of the game is a bad decision and even worse execution for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Ravens ran the ball a considerable amount and ran it well. What does Joe audibling/not audibling have to do with anything?

Well maybe we have more plays and more TOP if they ran it more.

With the success of the running game yesterday, they should have run it more.

BTW, one of those runs was Joe and the other was Camp.  Obviously the Joe run was a kneel down and the Camp run, while very effective, isn't the type of run that just wears down the other team.

Im glad they called it but its a different type of run.

#28 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

I'm not going to expect to run the ball the same amount as pass, but if you can run it  35-40% and run in effectively it should be a boon for the offense. In fact I think it will be key for the game in Pittsburgh.

@gabefergy

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Ravens rookie LT Ronnie Stanley hasn't allowed a Sack or QB Hit since Week 9 against the Pittsburgh Steelers (270 pass pro snaps)

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

Playing next to Yanda has helped.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Playing next to Yanda has helped.

Im sure it has.

Getting healthy and gaining more experience has helped too.

#32 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Well...we shall see when he faces Harrison who owned him last go around. 

I'm getting more excited for this game as I think about the matchups but still not sure that we get this done without Smith and with the offense looking so dysfunctional on the road. 

#33 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'm not going to expect to run the ball the same amount as pass, but if you can run it  35-40% and run in effectively it should be a boon for the offense. In fact I think it will be key for the game in Pittsburgh.

Eh...I want us to feel like we're committed to running it. Realistically, I'd like to see about 70% of our plays be runs (35%, screens 15% and play action passes 20%). 

I didn't get that kind of feeling from our running game yesterday...

It's about philosophy and how it feels in the game play as much as it is how many actual snaps. The Eagles ran it just about 50% of the time yesterday but it felt like much more than that and as a result the LBs were on their heels in play action. That's how I want it to feel...I feel like that ratio was probably about what it was during the Kubiak era as well...

#34 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

Eh...I want us to feel like we're committed to running it. Realistically, I'd like to see about 70% of our plays be runs (35%, screens 15% and play action passes 20%). 

I didn't get that kind of feeling from our running game yesterday...

It's about philosophy and how it feels in the game play as much as it is how many actual snaps. The Eagles ran it just about 50% of the time yesterday but it felt like much more than that and as a result the LBs were on their heels in play action. That's how I want it to feel...I feel like that ratio was probably about what it was during the Kubiak era as well...

50% runs is a very high percentage in the NFL especially compared to what the Ravens normally see. To me it felt like the Eagles ran it a lot because of how effective they were with the run, especially when compared to their lack of any effectiveness passing the ball. 

Under Kubiak, Flacco dropped back about 60%, that includes sacks and QB rush attempts/kneeldowns. Using the same measuring stick, Flacco has dropped back 67.5% this season. Kubiak used PA  18% of dropbacks, so it was a big part of the gameplan but actually below average across the league. I don't have the numbers for 2016, but my guess is it is about the same, maybe a bit lower.

@gabefergy

#35 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

I'm not saying run it 50%, in fact, I gave a pretty specific set of numbers...I said 70% plays based off a running style. 35% runs, 15% screens and 20% play action. I'm still good with a 65% passing ratio, but I want short quick passes in a designed run sense, I want to see 3 - 4 screens against big blitz packages and I want a play action commit about 1/3 of the time even on passing downs. I'd be OK with a few less runs and a few less screens for a couple more deep shots per game...

My numbers of what I mentioned earlier are probably more in line with what Kubiak did. I'd be OK reducing the number of screens a bit. We screen really effectively against Miami and then it vanished. I'd much rather see more actual screens than the deep reads and dump offs. On the deep reads, I'd rather go play action, suck up the LB, use one guy deep middle to draw attention and really command safeties in a Cover 2 to commit but give him space to work beyond the LB and then the outside guys to push on single high. 

Again, I don't really care what the ratio is. I have on idea what the Ravens want to do.

The Steelers want to run it down your throat and then take huge deep shots, stay aggressive in short passing downs and squeeze your secondary into making late mistakes. The Pats want to spread you out on passing downs and find a hole and pound it down your throat. We have no primary formation or style that we build off of, so there is no real depth to our offense. 

Let's do something, stick to it, make teams defend it and then build off it. It's frustrating to me mostly because we don't seem to try and use defenses adjustments or attacking formations against them. Teams want to drop 7 or 8, have plays designed to attack when guys drop 7 or 8...Practice it, a lot. If that's Joe's weakness and we all agree it is, the coordinators job is to help him out, I don't know if that's a quicker play call getting in, better scheme or what. But if you know a guy has a weakness, (a) you know teams are going to employ that defense, see Hicks this week and (b) coach him and scheme it up...

• RShack likes this

#36 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

The national Steelers love-fest is out of control this week, as it usually is, but damn. 

Gotta empty the playbook on these motherfuckers, unleash everything we have. I want to send them home so bad.

They are a good team, and probably better than us, but they really don't deserve all of this hype.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#37 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if the Pats game was a wake up call for this coaching staff. 

It didn't necessarily show for the Eagles game, but I can live with that in the notion that it was a trap game.

But I really want to see some creativity this week from the Ravens. On both sides of the ball. I want a strong, firm game plan that let's our guys go out there and be aggressive.

I felt like in the Eagles game we played the whole game on our heels on defense...

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

The national Steelers love-fest is out of control this week, as it usually is, but damn. 

Gotta empty the playbook on these motherfuckers, unleash everything we have. I want to send them home so bad.

They are a good team, and probably better than us, but they really don't deserve all of this hype.

Yeah as soon as they win a couple of games, the Steelers splooge fest is always back on.

Every Steeler season seems to hit the same notes. Start out as a consensus SB contender, Bell is hurt/suspended, Ben misses a few games, and the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs, if they even do.

They're probably winning the division, but still...it hasn't exactly been easy for them.

• esporter likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:30 AM

They are trending towards being the best team in the AFC.

#40 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Ravens got a ton of hype too coming off the Miami win.  

If I had to play one of the best teams in the league for all of the marbles, I'd want to play the Steelers.  The familiarity is our friend.  I'd hate to have to travel to say, Oakland.

• DuffMan likes this
@Miller192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=