#401 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 November 2021 - 01:14 PM

This story has gotten a little more interesting, I think.  Originally it was reported that he had applied for a religious exemption and it was denied.  The original story included that WSU was using a double blind method for religious exemption applications (which is a very good thing).  The staffers who decide if an religious exemption request was "sincerely held" or whatever terminology they use to say if it was a real reason or a made-up-reason-because-I-don't-want-the-vaccine, do not know the names or jobs of the people applying for the exemption.  This allows them to decide on the merits.  The original story reported the ratio of exemptions that were approved of the ones applied for, it was over half but not close to all.  So it sounded like they were actually considering and deciding on all these applications.  And Rolovich's was denied.  So that seemed like a thorough and honest way to have judged his request, and then they could fire him for not getting vaccinated and not having an exemption.

But Rolovich's appeal against WSU says that his request for religious exemption was in fact approved by the impartial, blind review board.  But afterwards the AD Chun superceded and denied the request after-the-fact, because he said that Rolovich had been telling him all along he wasn't going to get the vaccine, which to him meant that his religious exemption request wasn't sincere. 

That, to me, seems like BS.  You can't have an independent review board that determines the sincerity of someone's religious beliefs, and then have someone high up reverse those decisions (in either direction).

I think they have to pay this guy to go away.  They can't fire him for cause if his request for religious exemption was approved.  Unless he outright refuses to abide by the accommodations they would have to set in place to allow an unvaccinated employee be around other employees and students.  But he must have been meeting those accommodations all along, right?  Masks and stuff when coaching, remote meetings, etc etc. 

If we're being truly sincere here, the overwhelming majority of religious exemptions are complete cop outs in the first place. 

That said, I do agree with your overall point here. You can't have that process, and then not stick to it. 

• Mackus likes this

#402 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 01:28 PM

So the detail about the exemption being granted and then superseded by the AD has been in the story all along, I just didn't notice it before.

From the original story:

The university used a blind evaluation process, meaning the two-person committee that evaluated Rolovich's request did not have access to any identifying information while making its determination.

The committee returned its ruling Monday, and while Chun did not explicitly confirm how the committee ruled, it can be inferred the religious exemption was granted at that stage of the process because Chun said Rolovich's "accommodation request" was denied. The second step of the process, after the religious exemption was granted, would be for the supervisor -- in this case Chun and likely other university leaders -- to decide if accommodations could be made for Rolovich to fulfill all his contractual obligations.

https://www.espn.com...ine-source-says

#403 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 November 2021 - 05:25 PM

UMass fired former Maryland and Florida State OC Walt Bell.
@BSLZackKiesel

#404 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:30 AM

Matt Wells out at Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are 5-3, so seems to me like an overreaction to Saturday when they blew a 14-point halftime lead to Kansas State.

Texas Tech has hired Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire. Expected to start immediately.
@BSLZackKiesel

#405 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:10 PM

Texas Tech has hired Baylor associate head coach Joey McGuire. Expected to start immediately.

He'll actually start immediately after the season. Whether that would include a potential appearance in the Big 12 Championship game doesn't seem clear.

I mentioned it in my last blog post, the Silly Season is experiencing the same creep as the Christmas shopping season. Now coaches are being hired off other staffs before the regular season ends. I guess a coach leaving in midseason to actually start a new job is next.

#406 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:41 PM

Scott Frost will get one final shot at Nebraska. AD Trev Alberts announced he will return in 2022 under a restructured contract.

#407 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:50 PM

He'll actually start immediately after the season. Whether that would include a potential appearance in the Big 12 Championship game doesn't seem clear.

I mentioned it in my last blog post, the Silly Season is experiencing the same creep as the Christmas shopping season. Now coaches are being hired off other staffs before the regular season ends. I guess a coach leaving in midseason to actually start a new job is next.

I thought it sounded odd when I saw something about him starting immediately, must’ve read it wrong. But you’re right, we probably aren’t too far off from midseason changes happening.
@BSLZackKiesel

#408 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:25 PM

Rumors swirling out this way that Washington is in buyout discussions with Jimmy Lake. He is currently serving a one-game suspension for a physical altercation with a Husky player on the sideline during the Oregon game. Adding that on top of everything else that's happened this season, it's hard to see how he'd be able to come back.

#409 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 09:56 AM

UMass fired former Maryland and Florida State OC Walt Bell.

From innovative up-and-comer OC to spectacular failure as a head coach.  I always liked him though, hope he lands on his feet.

#410 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:04 PM

UConn has hired Jim Mora, Jr. to be their next head coach. He's actually going to join the team immediately as an assistant for the rest of the season, since that will allow him to start recruiting.

The recruiting aspect is another reason why I would not be surprised if we see new coaches taking over during the season, even if they leave another staff to do so. With most players signing during the early window in late December, waiting until after the season to make a hire doesn't give the new guy much time to try to put a class together.

#411 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:55 PM

Rumors swirling out this way that Washington is in buyout discussions with Jimmy Lake. He is currently serving a one-game suspension for a physical altercation with a Husky player on the sideline during the Oregon game. Adding that on top of everything else that's happened this season, it's hard to see how he'd be able to come back.

As expected, Lake has been fired.

#412 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:54 AM

Butch Davis has resigned at FIU. He’s accused the university’s administration of sabotaging the football program after a posting for the head coaching job was put up online and found by players before anyone had been informed he wouldn’t be returning in 2022.
@BSLZackKiesel

#413 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:49 PM

Butch Davis has resigned at FIU. He’s accused the university’s administration of sabotaging the football program after a posting for the head coaching job was put up online and found by players before anyone had been informed he wouldn’t be returning in 2022.

He also said they were using 10 year-old shoulder pads, couldn't get money for new ones, and had to settle for hand-me-down 5 year-old pads Mississippi State was replacing.

The coaches also weren't allowed to go on the road to recruit. Luckily they're in S Florida, where you can't walk down the sidewalk without tripping over HS football talent.

#414 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:52 PM

He also said they were using 10 year-old shoulder pads, couldn't get money for new ones, and had to settle for hand-me-down 5 year-old pads Mississippi State was replacing.

The coaches also weren't allowed to go on the road to recruit. Luckily they're in S Florida, where you can't walk down the sidewalk without tripping over HS football talent.

Sheesh. What coach in their right mind is going to take that job? Maybe they should hit up Randy Edsall.

@BSLZackKiesel

#415 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:54 PM

Texas paid $15 million to buy out Tom Herman, plus another $6 million for his staff. 11 weeks into the season we now have articles wondering how long Steve Sarkisian will last.

https://www.cbssport...loss-to-kansas/

#416 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:58 PM

Sheesh. What coach in their right mind is going to take that job? Maybe they should hit up Randy Edsall.

This is the same school that fired Mario Cristobal, despite taking them to the only two bowl games they had ever played in at the time (Davis got them to two more).

As for Edsall, I'm not sure he could even get admitted to the Saban Rehabilitation Program at this point.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#417 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 06:45 PM

Miami AD Blake James is out. While not a coach, this could mean the Manny Diaz Watch is officially under way.

This is just me spitballing, but wouldn't be surprised if they hire someone with ties to Mario Cristobal, or at least someone who could do a good sales job on him.

#418 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:17 AM

Virginia Tech, coach Justin Fuente part ways in sixth season as Hokies begin search for new leader

https://www.cbssport...for-new-leader/

I'd love to see MD pony up and bring in Herman or Fuente as an Asst. HC.  

#419 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 04:44 PM

Virginia Tech, coach Justin Fuente part ways in sixth season as Hokies begin search for new leader

https://www.cbssport...for-new-leader/

I'd love to see MD pony up and bring in Herman or Fuente as an Asst. HC.  

Based on their current commitments their 2022 recruiting class ranks #20. I'll bet the phones for those recruits are ringing off the hook today.

#420 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:01 PM

Sounds like we can cross Mel Tucker off the list of coaches who might be poached for a "better job." It's being reported Michigan State is finalizing a 10-year / $95 million extension with him. If that's accurate, he would become the highest paid African American coach in any US sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=