#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

This discussion is making me uncomfortable.

@DJ_McCann

#22 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hang the DJ was the standout.  Black Museum was pretty good, that's two.  Then Arkangel (good concept), USS Callister, Metalhead, and Crocodile. 

Metalhead was boring.

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

After watching "Black Museum" to finish the six episode 4th season, that makes 19 episodes in the series. 

I think in the season there are 3, top 5 episodes (Hang the DJ, Arkangel, Black Museum)

1 in the bottom of the top 10 (USS Callister)

1 in the 11-15 range (Metalhead)

1 complete bomb at the bottom of the list and it isn't close (Crocodile)

Not a bad season at all. If I'm slotting them in my previous rankings, Season 3 was slightly better as whole. Season 4 was more, Chris Davis if you will. A few dingers and not much else.

@BSLMikeRandall

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

Bandersnatch hit Netflix yesterday. Interactive, choose your own adventure style. Hits all the notes depending on the routes you take. I think we watched all the possible endings. Once you hit one end point it gives you the option to return to a major turning point and chose the other option and see where it leads you. 

A lot of the reviews weren't too high on it. But it was interesting, deep, ironic, uncomfortable. It was very Black Mirror. I think if you watch it without choosing any options, that might be the most linear version of it. I'll probably do that too. I put it middle of the pack among all the episodes, which in Black Mirror rankings is really good, just not mind blowing good.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Interesting concept and if anyone was going to make it work I suspect it would be the Black Mirror creative team but it was a failure for me. Much rather just watch someone’s vision of a story play out.

5/10 - Maybe last, at least in the bottom three for me.

#26 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:32 AM

I thought it was rather shallow for a Black Mirror episode.  It felt really short and the length was padded out by the multiple paths.

• BobPhelan likes this

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

I thought it was rather shallow for a Black Mirror episode. It felt really short and the length was padded out by the multiple paths.

I had read that it could be anywhere from 40 to 90 minutes based on the path you take.

I think it was a neat one off, it gave you the creeps a little with the “someone is controlling me” stuff. Choosing “Netflix” at the one checkpoint was fun. But I hope this doesn’t become a trend, You definitely don’t get as invested in the story when you are playing a game within it.
  • BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

So I suggest watching Bandersnatch however you want first.

Give it a few days.

Watch it without making any choices and pretend you’re watching Edge of Tomorrow or Happy Death Day or Groundhig Day. Only choose the “go back” options. I think you’ll see most of it, not all of it as you won’t pick each possible option. But it will take you through all the different endings.

It’s, okay.
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,248 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

The Ringer: A Ranking of Every ‘Black Mirror’ Episode
https://www.theringe...pisodes-ranking

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

I’ve been anxiously awaiting to watch the new three episodes. But it’s one I have to watch with the wifey. And our schedules haven’t jived. I kinda wanna watch it and play dumb like “oh, I thought you didn’t like the last season and gave up.”
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

The entire time I was watching episode 3, I kept getting annoyed at how similar it sounded to Head Like a Hole.

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

The entire time I was watching episode 3, I kept getting annoyed at how similar it sounded to Head Like a Hole.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too was a decent episode. Some flaws, but entertaining. Only one of the three episode season that has any re-watchability. Not gonna lie...I like hard rocker Miley Cyrus. Saw on youtube where she did a duet with Billy Idol of Rebel Yell, and they killed it. She really should switch genres.

Other two episodes go near the bottom of the series rankings.
Striking Vipers was just weird, even by Black Mirror standards.
Smithereens was just predictable every step of the way, boring, and Topher Grace was the lone redeeming quality.
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:38 PM

Ranking the 23 installments of Black Mirror, separated into a few categories.

Awful, never need to rewatch.

23. Crocodile: Was a while ago, never rewatched, don't remember the plot, but remember it sucked so so so bad.

22. Striking Vipers: Gay-ish Mortal Kombat

21. Smithereens: Don't drive distracted

Because Black Mirror is so good (20 out of 23 hits is pretty amazing) these have to be on the list down this far

20. Playtest: "Call your mom", VR haunted house.

19. Metalhead: Black and white, cyborg attack dogs.

18. Be Right Back: Sex with robots that look and talk kinda like your dead spouse.

17. White Bear: Audience chasing after a girl for an unknown reason until the end.

16. Hatred in the Nation: Rid the world of social media bullies. 

15. The Waldo Moment: Cartoon that runs for office and leads the polls (They predicted that one).

Getting better

14. Men Against Fire: Military glasses that turn people into monsters for easier killing.

13. Bandersnatch: Choose your own adventure movie.

12. National Anthem: Intercourse with a pig.

11. 15 Million Merits: Workout for credits, evil American Idol.

10. Shut Up and Dance: Web cam is spying on you, scavenger hunt.

9. Black Museum: Self-Explanatory

8. Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too: Miley Cyrus Alexa

Pretty Amazing

7. USS Callister: Meth Damon tortures the "How I Met Your Mother" mother in Star Trek like land

6. The Entire History Of You: Rewind everything, overanalyze everything.

5. Arkangel: Mom sees what he daughter sees as a toddler. Checks in as a teenager and freaks

4. Nosedive: Yelp review people, credit based on "kindness".

Best of the best, could honestly be in any order and I wouldn't argue.

3. San Junipero: "Heaven is a Place on Earth". 

2. White Christmas: Jon Hamm

1. Hang the DJ: Blind dates, live with them for X amount of time that a program instructs you.

@BSLMikeRandall

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

I thought the episode was going to be about plagiarism somehow.
  • Dupin likes this

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

I thought Striking Vipers was actually the best of the bunch. The best performances, a realistic future tech, and some interesting moral quandaries born from it. Hits on the banality of a “happy, normal life”. Not one of my favorites overall but this season was underwhelming. Could’ve done much more with the concept.

Miley episode was ok. Middle one was boring, my least favorite kind of Black Mirror episode.

Bandersnatch was garbage. I’ll still watch new seasons/episodes but I think the specialness of it is over.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

1. San Junipero
2. White Christmas
3. The Entire History of You
4. USS Callister
5. Nosedive
6. Be Right Back
7. Hang the DJ
8. Black Museum
9. White Bear
10. Hatred in the Nation
11. Playtest
12. Striking Vipers
13. National Anthem
14. Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too
15. 15 Million Merits
16. Arkangel
17. Shut Up and Dance
18. Men Against Fire
19. Smithereens
20. Metalhead
21. Crocodile
22. The Waldo Moment
23. Bandersnatch

#37 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too was a decent episode. Some flaws, but entertaining. Only one of the three episode season that has any re-watchability. Not gonna lie...I like hard rocker Miley Cyrus. Saw on youtube where she did a duet with Billy Idol of Rebel Yell, and they killed it. She really should switch genres.

Other two episodes go near the bottom of the series rankings. 

Striking Vipers was just weird, even by Black Mirror standards. 

Smithereens was just predictable every step of the way, boring, and Topher Grace was the lone redeeming quality.

I was trying not to spoil while commenting...

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:35 PM

I was trying not to spoil while commenting...

I’ll edit, my bad.
@BSLMikeRandall

#39 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Striking Vipers was clearly the best of the season, but this was the least interesting season yet.  I think the Miley Cyrus had an interesting premise and commentary.  Smithereens was way too basic for Black Mirror IMO.

• BobPhelan likes this

#40 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:12 PM

Striking Vipers was clearly the best of the season, but this was the least interesting season yet. I think the Miley Cyrus had an interesting premise and commentary. Smithereens was way too basic for Black Mirror IMO.

Agreed, hundo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=