646 replies to this topic

#621 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:45 AM

I've got 16 hours left.  Just finished the interludes after the stuff goes down in Kholinar.

#622 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:45 AM

FWIW I wasn't the biggest Oathbringer (not that it was bad at all) fan the first time I read it either.  Once I read "Warbreaker" another Cosmere book though I appreciated it much more and enjoyed it even more on a reread.

#623 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 01:09 AM

To be fair, the character work with Hoid has been great.

#624 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:42 AM

Have either of you guys (or anyone else who's into fantasy but somehow hasn't chimed in on our Cosmere talk) read Black Prism? I'm a little halfway through it and I think its quite good. There was a huge twist like 1/4 way into it that I didn't see coming at all and got one of the bigger reactions to a book I think I've ever had.

Reading this now, only 15% of the way into it but I can already tell it is a series I will complete. Pretty good so far. Cool magic system, some Sanderson similarities on that front it seems.
  • Mackus likes this

#625 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:50 AM

Finished my reread of the original Mistborn Trilogy.  Been a while since I've read it, so it was fun to go back to that era.  

Just placed a hold at the library for "A Little Hatred" the first book in the Ago of Madness trilogy which is the follow up to The First Law.

• BobPhelan and Dupin like this

#626 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 12:04 PM

Reading this now, only 15% of the way into it but I can already tell it is a series I will complete. Pretty good so far. Cool magic system, some Sanderson similarities on that front it seems.

I ended up reading all 5 (I think) books. Got a little weird when he worked in some random card game, but I loved it. My favorite new series that I found after getting into Sanderson's stuff. It's been a little bit since I've read it but would love to discuss it once you get further along.

• BobPhelan likes this

#627 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 February 2024 - 12:08 PM

I ended up reading all 5 (I think) books. Got a little weird when he worked in some random cars game, but I loved it. My favorite new series that I found after getting into Sanderson's stuff. It's been a little bit since I've read it but would love to discuss it once you get further along.

For sure.

I’m trying to convince everyone I know that likes fantasy to read Malazan so next time you’re looking for something…

#628 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 02:52 PM

Secession on Trial: The Treason Prosecution of Jefferson Davis

#629 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 03:41 PM

Almost through Oathbringer.  It's been good, but it lacked the same moments as the first two books.  The big reveal was a cool point for the overall story vs an epic moment.

#630 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:03 PM

I ended up reading all 5 (I think) books. Got a little weird when he worked in some random card game, but I loved it. My favorite new series that I found after getting into Sanderson's stuff. It's been a little bit since I've read it but would love to discuss it once you get further along.

Finished it today. There were some lulls but very enjoyable overall!

#631 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:22 AM

On to Rhythm of War.

The question now is do I reread them before December.

• BobPhelan likes this

#632 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2024 - 11:55 AM

On to Rhythm of War.

Can probably find a YouTube video or podcast that can catch us up to speed again. But audiobooks could be an option.

#633 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 February 2024 - 08:04 AM

On to Rhythm of War.

Yes. But also read Dawnshard before starting RoW
  • BobPhelan likes this

#634 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:36 PM

Finished my reread of the original Mistborn Trilogy.  Been a while since I've read it, so it was fun to go back to that era.  

Just placed a hold at the library for "A Little Hatred" the first book in the Ago of Madness trilogy which is the follow up to The First Law.

It's taking me longer than it should but I've been enjoying "A Little Hatred" for the most part.  Not as hooked on the story so far but I'm a fan of Joe's character work.

#635 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:38 PM

Well Sanderson has done it again!  He just announced another secret book set to come out next year.  Set in a future era and is supposed to be heavily connected to the Cosmere.  Title and a chapter reading (if you are interested) to be revealed in a few weeks

• BobPhelan likes this

#636 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:38 PM

There is just no way he writes all this himself, right?

#637 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:49 PM

There is just no way he writes all this himself, right?

He does but I've heard him mention he wants to outsource a little.  He won't say specifically, but his buddy and fellow author Dan Wells is writing a story set somewhere in the cosmere

#638 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:13 PM

If you enjoy detective/murder mystery stuff do yourself a favor and read some Tana French. I've read two in the past week and both 'The Searcher' and 'In the Woods' I would rate 5 stars.

• DuffMan likes this

#639 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:10 AM

Took much longer than it should but finished up "A little Hatred"  Goodness I forgot how he likes to put his characters through the ringer,   a certain characters daughter I'm looking specifically at you....

#640 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:37 AM

Read Red Rising this week, first in a 6 book series. Looks like it will go in a different direction from here but this one was a mix of Hunger Games and Ender’s Game.
  • Mackus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=