646 replies to this topic

#601 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:16 PM

Absolutely loved The Way of Kings.  What a great ending.  If the first book is any indication, this series occupies the space in between ASoIaF and WoT.  I hope the other books are this good.

• Mackus and DuffMan like this

#602 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:20 PM

Absolutely loved The Way of Kings. What a great ending. If the first book is any indication, this series occupies the space in between ASoIaF and WoT. I hope the other books are this good.

They are. Book 3 (Oathbringer) is my favorite.

#603 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:32 PM

They are. Book 3 (Oathbringer) is my favorite.

2 for me, but I've really grown to appreciate 3 so much more.  They are all great.  Looking forward to rereading the first 4 next year before book 5 comes out.

Bob not sure if you saw, but Brandon read an interlude for book 5 at Dragonsteel last month.   I actually caved and read it, it has no impact on book 5 so you can' be spoiled, but it is relevant to the overall Cosmere

• BobPhelan likes this

#604 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2023 - 04:36 AM

Yeah I’ve been avoiding those chapters but you made just swayed me on that one!

I’ve been reading Nail Gaiman for the first time and I see why he is so loved. American Gods and The Graveyard Book are fantastic, Good Omens was a lot of fun.
  • DuffMan likes this

#605 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:16 PM

Yeah I’ve been avoiding those chapters but you made just swayed me on that one!

I’ve been reading Nail Gaiman for the first time and I see why he is so loved. American Gods and The Graveyard Book are fantastic, Good Omens was a lot of fun.

Read American Gods recently myself. Enjoyed it but didn't quite grab me like some other things have. Maybe it was a character thing, I didn't really like any of them. Shadow was kind of a dopey narrator and aside from a few of the gods (the ones at the funeral home were interesting) they made most of the characters unlikeable. Think it might get better on a second read but not sure I'll get back to it.

Stardust is a Gaiman book I did really like. I had already seen the movie, which is a pretty faithful adaptation, but the book was a quick fun read.

#606 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:20 PM

Currently reading A Master of Djinn which I'm loving. Awesome world-building, in an alternate timeline Cairo in the early 20th century.

If you liked 2nd era Mistborn, then you'll like this. Similar detective and mystery story in a modern-esque world with some magic. Nobody as cool as Wayne, but still it's been fun. I think they telegraphed the mystery (I'll find out soon), but still really like it.

Apparently it's not the beginning of the series, so once I finish this I'll have some catching up to do.

#607 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:58 PM

I've only hit American Gods, Good Omens, and Sandman, but I enjoy Gaimon's writing style.  American Gods went a little heavy on mythology in that last act which is where it lost me a bit, but I'd still say it was very good.  I really need to get to Neverwhere and Stardust, even though I've heard Stardust is very different from the movie.

Highly recommend the full production version of Sandman and Good Omens if you need something to listen to.  I wish I could find a download for the dude from Bridgerton singing the song in the Sandman audiobook cause it's EPIC.

• BobPhelan likes this

#608 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone read Abercrombie's First Law sequel trilogy?

#609 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:46 AM

Has anyone read Abercrombie's First Law sequel trilogy?

I have.  I enjoyed it.  I think the characters are the strong point, most of the first person characters are really interesting, the exception being one that you're supposed to dislike so that's on purpose.  Story and world-building are just kind of ok.

• DuffMan likes this

#610 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 01:06 AM

Honor is dead.  But I'll see what I can do.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#611 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 December 2023 - 08:01 AM

Honor is dead.  But I'll see what I can do.

That's a great moment, a favorite for many. My favorite moment for this book is still coming through...

#612 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 04:28 PM

That's a great moment, a favorite for many. My favorite moment for this book is still coming through...

I saw someone describe it as watching a soldier go out and body slam a tank.

But I figured there had to be some more epicness.  That built up like that pivotal plateau assault in book 1, but unlike that scene I still have 15 hours of listening time left.

#613 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:15 PM

He said the words.  It's on now.

I'll be on to book 3 tomorrow.

• BobPhelan likes this

#614 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 December 2023 - 08:14 PM

He said the words.  It's on now.

I'll be on to book 3 tomorrow.

'Stretch forth thy hand"
  • Dupin likes this

#615 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 10:10 PM

'Stretch forth thy hand"

As soon as she changed to a spear I was happy.  I KNEW that was gonna happen.

Oathbringer threw me off with Sanderson's foreward about stopping for the side story.  Should I read Edgedancer?

#616 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 December 2023 - 11:39 PM

As soon as she changed to a spear I was happy. I KNEW that was gonna happen.

Oathbringer threw me off with Sanderson's foreward about stopping for the side story. Should I read Edgedancer?

I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement right now, I read it after I caught up with the series, but it is a good read and gives you more character development for an important character.

#617 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:03 AM

I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement right now, I read it after I caught up with the series, but it is a good read and gives you more character development for an important character.

I should've figured that random girl from the one interlude in Words of Radiance is important.

• BobPhelan likes this

#618 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 January 2024 - 06:39 PM

Book 3 of Malazan, Memories of Ice, is up there with Storm of Swords and Oathbringer as far as favorite books I’ve read. I’m begging you guys to start this series haha.

Two books into The Dresden Files and enjoying it.

Couldn’t get into The Blade Itself/The First Law but really enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Fifth Season.

#619 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 12:28 AM

If you read in order, Storm Front and Fool Moon are legitimately the least interesting Dresden Files.  It gets much, much, much better.  My favorite is Dead Beat, but Changes is also fantastic.

I'm not as big on Oathbringer so far compared to books 1 and 2.  It's real good, the plot points are good, but I'm not getting the 'oh damn' moments and by expanding scope of characters it has de-emphasized some of the interactions and narration that I enjoyed.

• BobPhelan likes this

#620 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2024 - 06:58 AM

If you read in order, Storm Front and Fool Moon are legitimately the least interesting Dresden Files. It gets much, much, much better. My favorite is Dead Beat, but Changes is also fantastic.

I'm not as big on Oathbringer so far compared to books 1 and 2. It's real good, the plot points are good, but I'm not getting the 'oh damn' moments and by expanding scope of characters it has de-emphasized some of the interactions and narration that I enjoyed.

Yeah I’ve heard the series get much more interesting after the first few novels.

But as for Oathbringer, just wait…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=