DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

Duffman you finish Rhythm of War yet?

I realize we could do this through PM since we're the only two who seem interested, but maybe we can convince someone else to pick up the series.  It's the best!  And Sanderson will finish it, unlike some other fantasy series perhaps being discussed elsewhere.

Yes I crushed that one back in December.  I was going to ask if you've checked it out yet but I figured with the new house and kiddos you might need some time.

Having said that it's awesome.   Right now my rankings are as follow

Words of Radiance

Rhythm of War

Way of Kings

Oathbringer

WoK is pretty close to RoW  but right now Rhythm is second.  

Non spoilery thoughts about RoW.  It's great,  some dark themes in this book as well as some incredible payoff.  I think my favorite character in this book is Adolin and I'm a huge fan of Kal

I chipped in 50  bucks for a Sanderson Kickstarter last Summer that got me some swag, as part of it I got "Dawnshard" this novella he wrote that's set between books 3 and 4.  Not to crucial to what happens in book 4 but it features Lopen prominently.

I recently read the Original Mistborn Trilogy also written by Sanderson.  It's part of the Cosmere which means it's in the same universe as Stormlight.   It's definitely not as good as SA but the story is still interesting had me reading to find out what happened next.

#362 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

I finished it and then, having nothing else in my queue, immediately started a re-read which I'm just about done with.  I always seem to like these books even better on re-reads when I can pick up on a lot of the little things or already have knowledge about the details and events that he frequently is foreshadowing.  Some small detail will make no sense or have no context the first time through, and then on a second read you know that the other person who's only sort of described is actually this important ancillary character.  Helps the world building.

I think that it seemed like there was less plot driving in this novel than the previous ones.  Basically two main storylines that both moved from A to B.  A lot of character focused stuff and much more of viewing the same events from multiple points of view in this novel than the earlier ones.  

I've got no idea how I would rank these 4 novels, but I love the series as a whole.  

• DuffMan likes this

#363 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:40 PM

Is that the Stormlight series? My cousin told me I have to check it out.

#364 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

Yes
  • BobPhelan likes this

#365 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:43 PM

I liked this article in The Defector about how the author planned to use the pandemic to catch up on great literature, but she ended up reading all 24 Jack Reacher books instead.

I am not, generally speaking, a person who looks on the bright side of things. I view cheerfulness in the face of calamity with a lot of suspicion, if not outright contempt, and have done since childhood—I remember watching Pollyanna with my Nana and telling her that I wouldn’t like to be friends with a girl like that. Nevertheless, around this time last year, as it became clear I would have to spend some significant time staying in my apartment, I told myself there could be an upside: I could finally get around to reading all the books I had been putting off for one reason or another. Some neglected American classics, the Victorian doorstoppers I skipped over in school in favor of different Victorian doorstoppers, the less famous Russians. 

I have not read any of those. What I have read is 24 books about an enormous drifter with comically large hands who is good at dispatching bad people. 

My Year With Jack Reacher | Defector

#366 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:07 PM

I love the Jack Reacher books. The whole premise is lunacy.

#367 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:31 PM

I love the Jack Reacher books. The whole premise is lunacy.

Yep, I agree - the books are great, you just can't think about them too closely.

#368 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'm going through The Wise Man's fear currently, and it's undeniable Patrick Rothfuss is incredibly talented.  He has managed to make a story that's frankly fairly mundane so far incredibly compelling, and subverted a lot of expectations well.  I really hope he finishes the 3rd book.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#369 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

I've read the first two and will read the third if it ever comes out, but I don't think I like them very much.  I think if I could shift my thinking into "unreliable narrator" mode I'd enjoy them more, but I'm never able to do that.  

I've only read each of them once, and often times I enjoy fantasy novels more on a second read, so maybe will give them another try sometime.

#370 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:40 AM

I recently just read my first Robert Heinlein novel, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and I thought it was amazing.  I would love to have experienced it when it came out, must've been mind blowing 50 years ago.

#371 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

Just finished The Way if Kings. So good!

Has this series been picked up by anyone yet? Would make an excellent season of television. (I’m scared to google anything)

Excited to continue reading the series.
  • Mackus and DuffMan like this

#372 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:29 PM

Btw any good reviews or deep dives into each book that don’t spoil future ones?

#373 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:32 AM

https://stormlightar...ht_Archive_Wiki

https://coppermind.n...rmlight_Archive

These are a couple of different wikis that have a bunch of good info and it you can search by book/character.  Just becareful when searching by character

As far as a TV show goes, nothing imminent but Sanderson did sell the rights to an entertainment firm about 5 years ago so I'm sure that it's at least in development.  A successful Wheel of Time and Amazon rings  show will go a long way to getting these books on tv at some point.

I love this series a ton (Mackus too) looking forward to hearing about your progress.  Book 2 is still my clear cut favorite of the four so you are in for a treat.

• BobPhelan likes this

#374 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:45 AM

Not much to add beyond what Duffman said.  Also thought Books 2 & 3 got even better and deeper than the 1st book.  4 was a small step back.

I found myself referring back and re-reading the prologue of Book 1 often when they started hinting at what the hell it meant in later books.  Keep it bookmarked!

• BobPhelan likes this

#375 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Yeah I figured that would be important down the line. I have my theories. Same with the quotes to start every chapter.

#376 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:22 AM

Not much to add beyond what Duffman said.  Also thought Books 2 & 3 got even better and deeper than the 1st book.  4 was a small step back.

I found myself referring back and re-reading the prologue of Book 1 often when they started hinting at what the hell it meant in later books.  Keep it bookmarked!

Surprised to hear you say that about 4.  While two is my favorite overall I think 4 had my favorite moment/scene of the series.

#377 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:34 AM

Surprised to hear you say that about 4.  While two is my favorite overall I think 4 had my favorite moment/scene of the series.

I think mainly I didn't care or get as interested in the flashbacks as much as the previous books.

#378 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:43 AM

I think mainly I didn't care or get as interested in the flashbacks as much as the previous books.

I can see that, sometimes the flashbacks can be frustrating but I appreciate the backstory that they provide. 

I didn't mention it previously but later Spring I wound up reading the First Mistborn trilogy.    Set in the same universe as SA so some of the magic had a similar feel but it was it's own story.   Not as good as SA but a fun read with plenty of surprises along the way.

#379 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:12 AM

I can see that, sometimes the flashbacks can be frustrating but I appreciate the backstory that they provide.

I didn't mention it previously but later Spring I wound up reading the First Mistborn trilogy. Set in the same universe as SA so some of the magic had a similar feel but it was it's own story. Not as good as SA but a fun read with plenty of surprises along the way.

Interesting, maybe that will be my next read once I’m caught up.
  • DuffMan likes this

#380 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:25 PM

Finished Words of Radiance today. Wow. Definitely understand the urge to re-read the prologue the more you learn.
  • Mackus and DuffMan like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=