644 replies to this topic

#321 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#322 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

I'm halfway through. It's great.

About a third of the way through Grant myself  and I've enjoyed it so far as well.

#323 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

http://www.tor.com/2...mlight-archive/

Cover art for Oathbringer!

About to dive into this...you read it yet?  A buddy of mine who also reads the series began it a while back, but he's making slow progress like I'll make.  This book will probably take me 6 months to read.

#324 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

About to dive into this...you read it yet?  A buddy of mine who also reads the series began it a while back, but he's making slow progress like I'll make.  This book will probably take me 6 months to read.

Not yet.  Working on finishing Grant first then moving onto Oathbringer, hopefully in another couple of weeks.  I imagine it will take a little while for me to get back into the series as well.  The first two were great but I only read them once each so it may take me a while to get back up to speed.  I don't think I'll reread the first two but I may look out for some chapter summaries or something to help refresh my memory.

#325 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Kindle Freebies - Get'em while you can...

The Searchers: Radio Intercept in the Two World Wars by Kenneth Macksey

The ability to transmit military information by radio, first made practical at the beginning of the twentieth century, and developed in the First World War, brought immediate advantage over a potential enemy. Radio warfare came to play a key role in the Battle of Britain in 1940, and in the war against the U-boats in the Atlantic. The Searchers reveals how radio technology shaped the course of the Second World War. 

This is the story, not of the codebreakers, but of the Y Service, the searchers who made their vital work possible: men and women with headphones clamped to their ears who for hours on end searched the radio bands in order to overhear the enemy.

Their achievements were made possible by brilliantly clever inventors and technologists, constantly pushing forward the frontiers of knowledge. The intelligence derived from their work influenced, often determined, the course of battle in the global war against the Germans, Italians and Japanese.

https://www.amazon.c...e_cont_ebooks_1

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#326 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Kindle Freebies - Get'em while you can...

Elusive Victory by Trevor N. Dupuy

In Elusive Victory, Colonel Trevor N. Dupuy traces the history of the Arab-Israeli wars from Independence to The Yom Kippur War. 

Using both sides' best extant information in 1978, this book aims to cut through the obfuscating rumours and establish basic facts. Dupuy is refreshingly even-handed in his approach, embellishing and correcting inconsistencies through personal interviews with Arabs, Israelis, and UN officers to provide a descriptive account of the Arab-Israeli Wars. His assertions in disputed stories carry weight and reason, and Dupuy provides an informed comparison of tactics, objectives, victories, and failures in the two conflicts to dispel the common myths.

https://www.amazon.c...t=relevancerank

#327 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

About a hundred pages to go in Grant.  The first half of the book (covering the War) was more interesting, but his time as president is not bad either.  The following may come across as a no duh to some, but I never realized how awful reconstruction was on the freed slaves, and if it wasn't for Grant it could have been even worse. 

#328 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Not yet.  Working on finishing Grant first then moving onto Oathbringer, hopefully in another couple of weeks.  I imagine it will take a little while for me to get back into the series as well.  The first two were great but I only read them once each so it may take me a while to get back up to speed.  I don't think I'll reread the first two but I may look out for some chapter summaries or something to help refresh my memory.

Finished Grant last night,  I'll be starting Oathbringer in the next couple of days.

#329 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

Kindle Freebie - Get it while you can...

https://www.amazon.c...XTQ69Z2K0253TBQ

SBS In World War Two: The Dramatic Story of the Original Special Boat Squadron by G B Courtney

During the Falklands War, a small, secret band of Royal Marine Commandos of the Special Boat Squadron carried out vital reconnaissance missions for the Task Force.

The original Special Boat Section played an equally crucial role during the Second World War-specializing in beach reconnaissance, railway and ship sabotage, enemy deception, the ferrying of secret agents and stores, and close support of ground forces.

SBS In World War Two is the remarkable and dramatic story of the brave men who manned the frail canoes of the SBS on raids from France to Borneo.

Written by the young brother of Roger Courtney, who founded the Special Boat Squadron in July 1940, this account provides an in depth history of the special forces unit of the Naval Service during the 20th century.

#330 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

Finished Grant last night,  I'll be starting Oathbringer in the next couple of days.

About 3/4 through Oathbringer.   It's been on par with the first two books in the series.  It certainly would have helped me to reread the first two books before diving into this one.  Having said that the further into the book I got the more that I remembered from the prior books.  Looking forward to seeing how this one wraps up.  The Dhalinar flashbacks in this one have been really good.

• Mackus likes this

#331 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

About 3/4 through Oathbringer.   It's been on par with the first two books in the series.  It certainly would have helped me to reread the first two books before diving into this one.  Having said that the further into the book I got the more that I remembered from the prior books.  Looking forward to seeing how this one wraps up.  The Dhalinar flashbacks in this one have been really good.

I'm just a few pages ahead of you.  Agreed that it's very good.  A lot of payoff for things that seemed confusing or unrelated in the earlier books.  Which I think makes me more aware of him setting up other confusing and seemingly unrelated things that I think will payoff in later books.

• DuffMan likes this

#332 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

I'm just a few pages ahead of you.  Agreed that it's very good.  A lot of payoff for things that seemed confusing or unrelated in the earlier books.  Which I think makes me more aware of him setting up other confusing and seemingly unrelated things that I think will payoff in later books.

Sanderson seems to be a really organized guy.  I definitely agree that plenty of this book is setting up future books while still giving information about what's already and currently happened.

He's not a major character, but I really love "Wit".  I think because he's sparsely used so when he shows up you know that it's really important. I kind of want to check out some other Cosmere books because his character shows up in a few other series too, that's pretty cool

#333 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

Finished Oathbringer on Saturday.  I thought Part 3 was my favorite of this book, and then I got to part 5.  Damn, that was great!

• Mackus likes this

#334 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Finished Oathbringer on Saturday.  I thought Part 3 was my favorite of this book, and then I got to part 5.  Damn, that was great!

I also finished this recently, loved it.  My favorite of the three books so far.  The main story was so good that I'd get pretty disappointed whenever I made it to an interlude. 

• DuffMan likes this

#335 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

Started reading Leviathan Wakes.  I can't put it down.

#336 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:21 PM

http://www.pbs.org/t...ead/about/show/

This looks pretty cool,  I plan on voting in this.

Here's the list...http://www.pbs.org/t...n-read/books/#/

I've read many on this list, but there are many more I've never picked up.  I might try and read some of these if I can.

#337 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

http://www.pbs.org/t...ead/about/show/

This looks pretty cool,  I plan on voting in this.

Here's the list...http://www.pbs.org/t...n-read/books/#/

I've read many on this list, but there are many more I've never picked up.  I might try and read some of these if I can.

My late daughter inhaled books.... (so does my bride... costs a dang fortune).... one of her all-time favorites was "A Prayer for Owen Meany"... which is also my favorite book by John Irving...

"Catch-22" is the only one that made me laugh out loud...

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of the very, very, very few examples of a perfect book that was made into a perfect movie...

IHMO, "A Lonesome Dove" is the Great American Novel...

ps: Since I've never read it, I have no opinion about "The Shack"   :-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#338 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Esquire: 30 Best Books of 2018 So Far

https://www.esquire....-books-of-2018/

#339 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

Who the hell has time to read 30 books in half a year?

#340 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:36 PM

DJ has probably read them all. He could even be the author of the article.

• DJ MC likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=