#341 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

DJ has probably read them all. He could even be the author of the article.

LOL. I actually haven't read any of them. Though a couple look interesting...

@DJ_McCann

#342 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Posey's book got a thumbs up this week in WSJ.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#343 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

Sunburn, by Laura Lippman. Fun little read.

@DJ_McCann

#344 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

I finally read The Jordan Rules, which was quite interesting and insightful. MJ doesn't come off too well in it.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Jonathan Abrams book on The Wire is a must read for fans of the show.

#345 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

http://www.pbs.org/t...ead/about/show/

This looks pretty cool,  I plan on voting in this.

Here's the list...http://www.pbs.org/t...n-read/books/#/

I've read many on this list, but there are many more I've never picked up.  I might try and read some of these if I can.

Here's the results.

https://www.pbs.org/...JIuNMdGqum1cS8o

#346 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

What have you read this year that you recommend?

#347 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

I recently read a great short story about an owl who fell out of the tree and was looking for his mommy.

I’ll get the title and author ASAP.

#348 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

I mainly read fiction, but I just finished Never Split the Difference. Good book, but found his FBI stories more entertaining than his advice.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#349 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

What have you read this year that you recommend?

I don't think I'd recommend it, but I've been reading the Wheel of Time fantasy series since about this time last year.  Currently on Book 7 of 14.

I don't know how many here are in to fantasy, I know Duffman is and a lot of people have read the Game of Thrones books.  Maybe others have read this.  Definitely can see the influence on Martin that Wheel of Time had.  Wheel of Time is like the PG-13 (or even PG) version of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I can't say that I've been loving this series.  It's fine.  I don't dislike it.  I'm pot committed now as I'm 7 books in and I know that perhaps my favorite author (non-Douglas Adams category), Brandon Sanderson, takes over the series at book 12 and I want to both finish it and read his writing style applied to the story.

I think the novels may be suffering from having been the trailblazer in the genre (at least the recent takes on the genre) but I had only experienced the later versions that are all superior because they've built upon it.  Kind of like Blazing Saddles.  Was probably the funniest thing ever filmed in the 70s.  But if you watch it for the first time now, there are a few terrific moments but on the whole you might not understand all the accolades. 

Anyways, books are taking me forever to read recently, so I'll probably still be reading this series two years from now.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#350 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

I don't think I'd recommend it, but I've been reading the Wheel of Time fantasy series since about this time last year.  Currently on Book 7 of 14.

I don't know how many here are in to fantasy, I know Duffman is and a lot of people have read the Game of Thrones books.  Maybe others have read this.  Definitely can see the influence on Martin that Wheel of Time had.  Wheel of Time is like the PG-13 (or even PG) version of A Song of Ice and Fire.  I can't say that I've been loving this series.  It's fine.  I don't dislike it.  I'm pot committed now as I'm 7 books in and I know that perhaps my favorite author, non-Douglas Adams category (Brandon Sanderson) takes over the series at book 12 and I want to both finish it and read his writing style applied to the story.

I think the novels may be suffering from having been the trailblazer in the genre (at least the recent takes on the genre) but I had only experienced the later versions that are all superior because they've built upon it.  Kind of like Blazing Saddles.  Was probably the funniest thing ever filmed in the 70s.  But if you watch it for the first time now, there are a few terrific moments but on the whole you might not understand all the accolades. 

Anyways, books are taking me forever to read recently, so I'll probably still be reading this series two years from now.

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.....

I started WoT about 5 years ago. I started reading the books for something to tidy me over until Winds came out.  It took me about 13 months to read the whole series, 4 more years have passed since and still no Winds but I digress.  

WoT is massive.  There's alot to like and some not to like but ultimately I enjoyed the series.  Mack I would say you are probably starting the slowest portion of the story.  The general consensus (and I mostly agree) is that books 7-10 are less regarded than the others.  There is still plenty going on but they may feel a bit slower (10 is considered the "worst" but it's still got some things going on.  11 is when business picks back up and that's Jordan's last book.

12-14 is when Sanderson takes over and he did a fantastic job.  It's been a while since I've read these but it was hard for me to tell the difference from Jordan to Sanderson as Brandon tries to keep the feel of the books the same.  I won't spoil anything for you but 12-14 are awesome with lots of payoff, there's even a chapter that's over 100 damn pages long!

• Mackus likes this

#351 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Duffman.  Your opinion matches nearly exactly with everything I've heard about the series.  I've been debating reading books 7-10 versus just reading chapter summaries and moving on to 11.  Decided I will read 7 to see if I like it just the same as the first 6 or if it starts to drag, then will either keep reading or just hit the cliff notes until book 11.

• DuffMan likes this

#352 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

I've been reading the Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty, about a sarcastic police office in 1980's Northern Ireland trying to solve crimes while drinking too much and trying not to get blown up by the IRA, some of whom live down the street.  Great stuff.

https://www.amazon.c...ry_1_1094080985

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#353 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:47 PM

Just finished The Billion Dollar Spy by David Hoffman. Book based on a handlers account of Adolf Tolkachev using unclassified documents and interviews of handlers who were involved. Very entertaining read and a good look into how far behind the KGB the CIA really was back in the cold war.

#354 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:03 AM

https://www.newsweek...Y3XzuLAIBp0I-vU

Sanderson is the man!  Besides being a great writer, I love how transparent he is about the writing process and always willing to provide feedback.  He even answered one of my Facebook questions early last year.

Stormlight 4 will surely be great!  I think I'll try and reread the first 3 this Summer to help get myself ready.

• Mackus likes this

#355 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

I've been reading the Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty, about a sarcastic police office in 1980's Northern Ireland trying to solve crimes while drinking too much and trying not to get blown up by the IRA, some of whom live down the street.  Great stuff.

https://www.amazon.c...ry_1_1094080985

FYI, the first book in this series is on sale for 99 cents in the Amazon Kindle store.

https://www.amazon.c...80413220&sr=8-1

#356 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

The Ringer: Our Social-Distancing Reading Recommendations

https://www.theringe...recommendations

#357 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:40 AM

Anyone reading anything good right now? I'm actually reading the whole Harry Potter series at the moment. I'm a big fantasy nerd but never read these. After each book I've been watching the movie with the kids. The books are okay. Best part has just been talking about them with my oldest who has read the series twice now.

#358 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:48 AM

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B003P2WO5E

Way of Kings is currently $3 on kindle.  First book in Brandon Sanderson's "Stormlight Archive" fantasy series of which there are currently three books and the fourth is due in November.  The plan for the series is two 5-book sets, so the initial 5-book set is almost complete.  The second set will serve as a sequel to the first.  And unlike George Martin, Sanderson is a machine and puts stuff out at an insane pace.

DuffMan and I are both huge fans of the series.  If anyone is into fantasy and looking for something to draw their attention during quarantine, these are great books.  

• DuffMan likes this

#359 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:06 AM

Duffman you finish Rhythm of War yet?

I realize we could do this through PM since we're the only two who seem interested, but maybe we can convince someone else to pick up the series.  It's the best!  And Sanderson will finish it, unlike some other fantasy series perhaps being discussed elsewhere.

• DuffMan likes this

#360 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

Fine, I'll check it out.

• DuffMan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic