#561 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 May 2023 - 06:42 AM

Read my first Stephen King this week, The Shining. A lot different than the movie but still very good. Time to finally dive in to his deep pool of classics.

A few years back I read his first Dark Tower book.  It wasn't bad, but Horror isn't really my thing so I stopped after the one.

• BobPhelan likes this

#562 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:06 AM

A few years back I read his first Dark Tower book.  It wasn't bad, but Horror isn't really my thing so I stopped after the one.

I read the first one and liked it well enough, disliked the second and stopped the series.  A lot of people who have fairly similar tastes to me really like the series, and say its much more in the magic/fantasy realm than horror (and the first two certainly fit that description).

#563 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 May 2023 - 08:14 AM

Finished a running book recently (been years since I've read one). 

Kara Goucher's:   The Longest Race  (kind of funny because many years ago I read a funbook about her husband Adam Goucher, it was called "Running with the Buffaloes and focused on the Colarado Cross Country team).  It's more of a running adjacent book.  Focuses mostly on her time at the Oregon Project and her dealing's with HC Alberto Salazzar.  I already new prior to this book that Alberto was a POS but my goodness, that was letting him off lightly, he is reprehensible.    

#564 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 08:19 AM

If you're looking for a non-horror Stephen King book, I'd recommend Different Seasons, The Green Mile, 11/22/63, or Fairy Tale.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#565 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:13 PM

Half way through Doctor Sleep and really enjoying it. Thought I heard it was disappointing back when it first came back but I'm guessing thats just the expectations of a very long awaited sequel.

#566 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:08 PM

Read my first Stephen King this week, The Shining. A lot different than the movie but still very good. Time to finally dive in to his deep pool of classics.

The Stand is next on my audiobook backlog.  I've only read Misery, and I understood the appeal of his writing even though it's not my home genre.

Currently listening to The Silmarillion, finally.  I definitely understand why I did not make it through this one as a kid despite loving Lord of the Rings.  

#567 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:27 PM

It’s probably because I already knew so much about The Shining going in but I think I liked Doctor Sleep even better.

#568 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 01:28 PM

The second half of The Silmarillion was much more entertaining than the front half.  I found the whole thing interesting, but the voice its written in makes it really tough for me to enjoy.  The closest thing I can compare it to is like reading the bible.

• DuffMan likes this

#569 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:27 AM

The second half of The Silmarillion was much more entertaining than the front half.  I found the whole thing interesting, but the voice its written in makes it really tough for me to enjoy.  The closest thing I can compare it to is like reading the bible.

"Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him"

734px-Ted_Nasmith_-_Morgoth_and_the_High

• Dupin likes this

#570 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:03 PM

"Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him"

734px-Ted_Nasmith_-_Morgoth_and_the_High

That straight up looks like the cover to the Monster Manual (Old Testament version, apparently). 

#571 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:07 PM

I’ve now read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, The Stand, Carrie, and The Gunslinger. I’m officially in on King.

#572 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:36 PM

I've only finished Misery, but I got the appeal of his writing through that one.  I'm still so early in The Stand, so I'm really interested to see where it goes.  Hopefully I'm reading the right version; this is the one where King put all the stuff back in that the publishers made him cut.

I'm not a horror fan, so it'd be tough to go through his catalog for me.

#573 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2023 - 08:47 PM

^ That’s the version I read too.

#574 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 02:59 PM

I just read a pretty good book.  It's not the type of thing I usually read, but the author is from Baltimore and it's set in Baltimore, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The main character is a single dad who lives above a record store in Fells Point.  His teenage son finds out that his Dad's celebrity crush is the drummer from an all-woman band that broke up 20 years ago, and he sets out to try to get her to come to Baltimore so his dad can meet her.

Charm City Rocks: A Love Story - Kindle edition by Norman, Matthew. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

• BobPhelan likes this

#575 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 July 2023 - 09:27 PM

The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England.

My hard copy finally came while I was on vacation last week and now I'm working my way through it. About 40% done so far?
  • BobPhelan likes this

#576 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:28 PM

The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England.
My hard copy finally came while I was on vacation last week and now I'm working my way through it. About 40% done so far?

Trip to the beach has been great for .y reading. Finished Frugal Wizard and blew thru Yumi and the Nightmare Painter. Two completely different books but both were a lot of fun

#577 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:06 PM

I finished The Stand.  Such a strange book, and not at all what I was expecting.  While satisfying, I found the end a bit underwhelming.

• BobPhelan likes this

#578 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:11 PM

I finished The Stand. Such a strange book, and not at all what I was expecting. While satisfying, I found the end a bit underwhelming.

I wanted more despite it being so long, surprised he never went back to that world/characters.

#579 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:36 PM

I wanted more despite it being so long, surprised he never went back to that world/characters.

Definitely agree.  There's a lot more story that could be told there of what happens after.

• BobPhelan likes this

#580 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 07:09 PM

Bob Odenkirk's bio, "Comedy, Comedy, Comedy, Drama."

Really enjoyed.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users