641 replies to this topic

#521 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2022 - 09:34 AM

Pre-ordered the audiobook, I'm ready for it!

#522 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 09:41 PM

For those that have read The Martian, Andy Weir's newest book is exceptionally good.  3/4 of the way through and loving Project Hail Mary.  The Martian is more grounded, but this is definitely more fun.

• BobPhelan likes this

#523 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:10 PM

For those that have read The Martian, Andy Weir's newest book is exceptionally good.  3/4 of the way through and loving Project Hail Mary.  The Martian is more grounded, but this is definitely more fun.

Yeah I absolutely loved PHM.

#524 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:44 PM

Yeah I absolutely loved PHM.

If you figured out a good way to describe it to people without spoiling, let me know.  I want to preserve the going in blind experience I had that's made everything so great, so I've had to resort to "please just trust me" to try to get others to read it.

• Mackus likes this

#525 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 02:38 PM

Project Hail Mary stuck the landing.  Great book.

• BobPhelan, Nigel Tufnel and DuffMan like this

#526 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 November 2022 - 08:40 PM

The Lost Metal , the 4th and final book in the Wax and Wayne series comes out next Wednesday. Kids activities will be slowing down by that point for me so I should be able to jump right into this book and see how the series finishes up

I’m on Chapter 47. Can’t wait to finish it tomorrow and dive into all the discussion and theories!
  • DuffMan likes this

#527 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 November 2022 - 10:31 AM

I’m on Chapter 47. Can’t wait to finish it tomorrow and dive into all the discussion and theories!

I'm not as far in, but I got a good start last night.  Looking to make some more progress this evening.

• BobPhelan likes this

#528 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:31 PM

It was so good. Wraps up the era 2 storylines in a satisfying way while also bringing the Cosmere as a whole to a new exciting place.

#529 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

~24 week wait at my library for the E-book, so no spoilers fellas!

I don't think it'll be that long, they have 5 copies, I'm 13th in line.  Hope everyone ahead of me reads as fast as Bob!

• BobPhelan likes this

#530 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2022 - 04:47 PM

To be fair I listened to the audiobook while working but was into it enough that I might have to apologize to a few houses for getting the wrong mail...

• DuffMan likes this

#531 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 November 2022 - 09:06 AM

O man, I'm about 40% into Lost Metal. Business has really picked up in the last 30 or so pages. Looking forward to how this continues to unfold.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#532 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:54 PM

O man, I'm about 40% into Lost Metal. Business has really picked up in the last 30 or so pages. Looking forward to how this continues to unfold.

And finished. Got through the last 100 pages today as I had to know how it would wrap up.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#533 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:46 AM

Satisfied? How would you rate it against the other era 2 books? Hard to top era 1 but some pretty great character arcs here as well.

#534 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:28 AM

Satisfied? How would you rate it against the other era 2 books? Hard to top era 1 but some pretty great character arcs here as well.

Pretty satisfied yes.  I mean the last 100+ pages became that typical build from Sanderson where I can't put the book down any more.  I feel like this happens especially when the chapters are shorter, makes it easier to say I'll just read one more before I take a break.

As for comparing it to the rest of Era 2, definitely better than the first book of era 2, more ambitious than books 2 and 3.  Not sure where I would rank it yet amongst those but on par with them at least.     I think Era 1 is still better but all in all Era 2 was a lot of fun.  Wayne continues to be one of my favorite Cosmere characters!

• BobPhelan likes this

#535 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:31 PM

I think Bands of Mourning was a little bit better off of memory but the greater Cosmere stuff puts this at 2nd in era 2 for me.

Bands of Mourning
Lost Metal
Shadows of Self
Alloy of Law
  • DuffMan likes this

#536 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:13 AM

Sanderson's state of the Sanderson is coming out on Monday.  Always an informative and enjoyable read.

GRRM was on Colbert recently.  The cold open he did with Colbert was pretty funny even if it also made me a bit annoyed as well

• BobPhelan likes this

#537 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:51 PM

Sanderson's state of the Sanderson is coming out on Monday.  Always an informative and enjoyable read.

GRRM was on Colbert recently.  The cold open he did with Colbert was pretty funny even if it also made me a bit annoyed as well

I'm dying for some movie/tv news.

#538 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 December 2022 - 08:02 AM

I'm dying for some movie/tv news.

That would be awesome.  I'm not sure if we get it yet, I'm thinking he is waiting for official concrete details he can sure.  The TV/Movie stuff is definitely keeping him busy,  I always listen to his weekly update and just last week he made a comment "I lost alot of writing time that day dealing with calls from Hollywood"

• BobPhelan likes this

#539 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 10:21 PM

"Entrone sighed in a long-suffering way, like a man who had just been given a bedtime ultimatum from his three-year-old."

Sanderson speaking directly to me in this one, apparently. Not sure any analogy has ever resonated more strongly.
  • BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#540 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 09:20 PM

At long last, I am finally onto the final novel in The Wheel of Time.  I waited 7 books for what happened at the end of book 13, and it was so satisfying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=