183 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

What gets me is that if I say the same thing in hot take form, Rob would be the first one calling me out and twisting my words. So April 20 I had said, "Pedro Alvarez sucks balls right now. If he doesn't get his fat ass in gear we need to cut him. That would have turned into Rob saying I wanted to release Alvarez in April. What an idiot, etc,etc. It's just not under the guise of hard hitting, intriguing analysis.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

It is hilarious that after CA-Oriole compliments Rob on how he's evolved since the Hangout, he posts that gem. Not so great that it's at my expense, but whatever, I can handle it.

#23 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

What gets me is that if I say the same thing in hot take form, Rob would be the first one calling me out and twisting my words. So April 20 I had said, "Pedro Alvarez sucks balls right now. If he doesn't get his fat ass in gear we need to cut his ass. That would have turned into Rob saying Branden wanted to release Alvarez in April. What an idiot, etc,etc. It's just not under the guise of hard hitting, intriguing analysis. 

"Sucks balls" is ok. "Sucks Donkey Balls" would be cutting edge analysis though. 

• bnickle likes this

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

"Sucks balls" is ok. 

Not sure how that's an insult... (I knew a girl once and, man, ...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

To quote Super Bad... "Some girls pride themselves on their ______ taking ability."

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

It is hilarious that after CA-Oriole compliments Rob on how he's evolved since the Hangout, he posts that gem. Not so great that it's at my expense, but whatever, I can handle it.

Just to be clear, it's you guys who took shots at me. I wasn't in the thread and said nothing and what you are crying about isn't even anything directed at you personally. It's just you and your other message board schizo friend bitching about something you don't like. Pretty typical but it's still annoying.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, we started by calling out a common trend with you. You come in with telling me to go the fuck away and calling people schizo. Stay classy jerk off.

One of the common traits of a narcissist: "An inability to handle any criticism."

So yeah, good job... now I've made it personal, and you deserve it.

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Just to be clear, it's you guys who took shots at me. I wasn't in the thread and said nothing and what you are crying about isn't even anything directed at you personally. It's just you and your other message board schizo friend bitching about something you don't like. Pretty typical but it's still annoying.

Rob the peacemaker...   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

What gets me is that if I say the same thing in hot take form, Rob would be the first one calling me out and twisting my words. So April 20 I had said, "Pedro Alvarez sucks balls right now. If he doesn't get his fat ass in gear we need to cut him. That would have turned into Rob saying Branden wanted to release Alvarez in April. What an idiot, etc,etc. It's just not under the guise of hard hitting, intriguing analysis. 

Guess I'm going to be a jerk here, but w/e...

When Rob writes an article of 1,200 words or so...  like this one in late May which talked about Alvarez....   I see a difference there between that and a random rant.

You can agree with him or disagree with him, but it's his name attached to his thoughts available for public consumption.

Some of you guys don't even start threads stating your own opinions.  You snipe in game threads or in passing in others.

FTR it's 100% fine if you (not just talking to nickle here) don't want to use your name on the board, or don't want to start threads etc....  but I would rather see the people that don't like Rob's opinions, to spend more time spelling out theirs vs the time spent on his.

• Pedro Cerrano and Cisc-O's like this

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

When Rob writes an article of 1,200 words or so... like this one in late May which talked about Alvarez.... I see a difference there between that and a random rant.

You can agree with him or disagree with him, but it's his name attached to his thoughts available for public consumption.

Some of you guys don't even start threads stating your own opinions. You snipe in game threads or in passing in others.

FTR it's 100% fine if you (not just talking to nickle here) don't want to use your name on the board, or don't want to start threads etc.... but I would rather see the people that don't like Rob's opinions, to spend more time spelling out theirs vs the time spent on his.

1. Late May wasn't when he first mentioned the idea of cutting Alvarez. It was either in a game thread or another thread in April. It was just a single, maybe 10 word post.

2. I essentially put my name on everything I say in here.

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, we started by calling out a common trend with you. You come in with telling me to go the fuck away and calling people schizo. Stay classy jerk off.

One of the common traits of a narcissist: "An inability to handle any criticism."

So yeah, good job... now I've made it personal, and you deserve it.

Good. You deserved it too.

And I called you a message board schizo...which if you look at how to post in game threads and the rest of the board, that's what you are.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

1. Late May wasn't when he first mentioned the idea of cutting Alvarez. It was either in a game thread or another thread in April. It was just a single, maybe 10 word post.

2. I essentially put my name on everything I say in here.

1) He mentioned it in ST... his premise never changed.  It's still different when he puts out a larger post articulating his rationale, vs. some rant on the board.

2) You've been a poster here since 12/20/11....   it doesn't feel like you've started many threads with you writing out your opinions, where you project ahead etc.  It's not your job or responsibility to do so, but it would clarify what your opinions are. Much of the time when you are in your words 'emotional' in game threads... you later tell us that everything you said should be disregarded.

#33 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

When Rob writes an article of 1,200 words or so...  like this one in late May which talked about Alvarez....   I see a difference there between that and a random rant.

Some of you guys don't even start threads stating your own opinions.  You snipe in game threads or in passing in others.

FTR it's 100% fine if you (not just talking to nickle here) don't want to use your name on the board, or don't want to start threads etc....  but I would rather see the people that don't like Rob's opinions, to spend more time spelling out theirs vs the time spent on his.

Yeah Sorry Chris, I may not be a BSL writer but I've taken a lot of time with analysis and discussing things here, often in detail and many times with Rob. Especially when there there is something meaningful to discuss. Rob provided nothing here. For him to come back here and say he was "spot on" about it takes pretty big balls, even for him. As far as the other thread it says relatively little about Alvarez other than basically he's not playing well. Even then, it's his responsibility to convey his thoughts/analysis here. I get he's your right hand guy and that's a tough spot, but the tirade he just went on should be inexcusable. You're entitled to your opinion and i appreciate you've allowed me to express mine, but I just think you're off base. 

• JordanKough likes this

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

1) He mentioned it in ST... his premise never changed. It's still different when he puts out a larger post articulating his rationale, vs. some rant on the board.

2) You've been a poster here since 12/20/11.... it doesn't feel like you've started many threads with you writing out your opinions, where you project ahead etc. It's not your job or responsibility to do so, but it would clarify what your opinions are. Much of the time when you are in your words 'emotional' in game threads... you later tell us that everything you said should be disregarded.

I give out tons of opinions with rational thoughts and reasons to back them. And you know this. The idea from you that I'm only a hot take,game thread guy bothers me. I blur the lines,but I do appreciate the people who see that I have something to offer the board.
  • CA-ORIOLE likes this

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Yeah Sorry Chris, I may not be a BSL writer but I've taken a lot of time with analysis and discussing things here, often in detail and many times with Rob. Especially when there there is something meaningful to discuss. Rob provided nothing here. For him to come back here and say he was "spot on" about it takes pretty big balls, even for him. As far as the other thread it says relatively little about Alvarez other than basically he's not playing well. Even then, it's his responsibility to convey his thoughts/analysis here. I get he's your right hand guy and that's a tough spot, but the tirade he just went on should be inexcusable. You're entitled to your opinion and i appreciate you've allowed me to express mine, but I just think you're off base. 

I feel you regularly add a lot to threads. I'm glad you came here from OH, because you have strongly articulated intelligent opinions.

Those opinions wouldn't be any better if you had BSL next your SN.

Rob's opinions, my opinions are not any better due to having BSL next to our SN.

I don't feel like I'm in a difficult position here.

I'm simply giving my opinion.  My opinion was that Rob's opinion that Alvarez was going to be DFA candidate was never likely.  Pedro's track record said he would improve.. but while I disagreed with Rob, his point that if things didn't change... that Pedro didn't provide enough to stay... was not wrong. 

It didn't take balls for Rob to say he was spot on... he's right. If Pedro had continued not to hit vs. RHP over a larger sample size, he would have been a DFA candidate.

I think his thoughts were properly conveyed and articulated clearly. There was no ambiguity, and there was no parsing. It was simply, "This is my opinion, this is something to watch, a larger sample size is needed."

Yet here he is taking shit again.  It gets old.

Yeah, I don't like Rob's responses in this thread. I've edited a couple of his comments already....   but I also get it. He's being ganged up on again.... even though he's the one out there with his name and his opinions. That does bother me.

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

What exactly did you want me to say? His poor performance spoke for itself.

In the article I quoted, I mentioned the terrible OPS vs righties and the awful May performance.

What other analysis did you need?

He was brought here to hit righties. As I said several times, he can't hit lefties, he can't run and he can't field.

So, if he's not hitting righties, what good is he?

So, if he isn't doing that, why should he have stayed on the team if he continued to be terrible?

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Oh and btw, CA is talking about track record and yet Britton has some shaky outings and he wants to discuss if the league has figured him out.

Guess that's different though? He provided that hard hitting analysis of "maybe players are laying off the sinker now".

And btw, for the record, I have no issue with CA bringing that up...but it's the same thing and Britton was still very successful, whereas Alvarez wasn't.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Oh an something else I said about Alvarez was that he started camp late and sometimes guys do that, get into bad habits and struggle all year.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I give out tons of opinions with rational thoughts and reasons to back them. And you know this. The idea from you that I'm only a hot take, game thread guy bothers me. I blur the lines,but I do appreciate the people who see that I have something to offer the board.

I do think you are capable of good analysis / discussion on multiple topics. You are an intelligent guy.

I'd like to see more of that vs. the hot take game thread guy, or the character I think you play at times.

And yes, I do think you take more ish than you deserve at times as well.

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

As the best poster on this site I think you're all terrific.
  • SportsGuy likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=