• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Yes, one thing Rob struggles with is having an opinion lol.

He wrote a perfectly logical statement... Alvarez's value is X. If the season continues and Alvarez doesn't provide X, then Y will have to happen.

That's not hedging, that's discussion.

FTR, I always thought Alvarez should be expected to do X, and wasn't ever worried that he wouldn't.... but had I been wrong, it would have become an issue.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

Rob hides behind "analysis" and "what if's" to avoid giving an opinion. Most of us all opined he'd be just fine. Rob never did. He only talked about how he should be cut in a few weeks if he doesn't turn it around, but then uses the "analysis" guise to avoid being wrong. Based on the tone and tenor of his posts about this earlier in the season, it seemed obvious he thought he was useless and should be cut and was just waiting before making a bigger deal about it.

Add you rushing to his defense to the list of things I am not surprised about, too. Nothing about what I have said is unreasonable. I guess it looks as if I'm just trying to stir shit up, but his pretend GM act gets old when he never stands by anything he says. I'm allowed to think that.

• bnickle likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Rob hides behind "analysis" and "what if's" to avoid giving an opinion. Most of us all opined he'd be just fine. Rob never did. He only talked about how he should be cut in a few weeks if he doesn't turn it around, but then uses the "analysis" guise to avoid being wrong. Based on the tone and tenor of his posts about this earlier in the season, it seemed obvious he thought he was useless and should be cut and was just waiting before making a bigger deal about it.

Add you rushing to his defense to the list of things I am not surprised about, too. Nothing about what I have said is unreasonable. I guess it looks as if I'm just trying to stir shit up, but his pretend GM act gets old when he never stands by anything he says. I'm allowed to think that.

Yeah,  I do have the opinion you are just stiring the pot.  It's been that way with your posts for months now imo.

You've implied that you have something going on personally. I don't know what it is, and it's not my business at all.... I also have no idea if whatever you are dealing with has impacted the posting I've seen. Certainly I wish you the best with whatever.

That all said, it's 100% fine for you to have your opinion on Rob, me, and anything else. Your opinion is your opinion.  

You know who else is entitled to have their own opinions? Me.

I don't have to rush to Rob's defense, he doesn't need my defending. If I happen to agree with the logic and point he is making, I'll say so.

I never agreed that Alvarez would get cut, and said so.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

Show me where he's stood by what he's said in an instance he's been wrong? This isn't me stirring the pot. I'm just tired of his schtick of always having an opinion but it being caveated to death so he can never be wrong. I acknowledge my posts have been on the batshit side of the spectrum the past year probably. But this isn't that. This is just calling it how I see it.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

Show me where he's stood by what he's said in an instance he's been wrong? This isn't me stirring the pot. I'm just tired of his schtick of always having an opinion but it being caveated to death so he can never be wrong. I acknowledge my posts have been on the batshit side of the spectrum the past year probably. But this isn't that. This is just calling it how I see it.

He's the most bull headed person I know.  I've never known anyone that sticks to his initial opinions more than Rob.
I should know, as I often disagree with him.

While there are plenty of instances of him being wrong, there is typically logic behind his argument.

This (Alvarez) is an example. He might have thought where things were headed, that Alvarez eventually getting released was going to be the outcome.... but he didn't leave himself an out, or hedge imo... he made the logical point that with additional time, Alvarez would produce or he wouldn't. That if he did, he would stay. If he didn't, a decision would be forced. 

You call this caveated to death.  I call it logic, and the reason I don't think it's hedging, is because he didn't use the initial small sample to finalize his opinion. He realized the sample needed to be increased, even if he had an opinion of how things might turn out.

W/e.  You are calling it how you see it.  Your opinion is your opinion.  All good.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Of course it's logical, but he comes in like it's some profound thing and he's first to point out he may be cut, but stops short of saying that's what he thinks is going to happen. And it's constant with this type of stuff. And like I said, if someone is a complete zero, of course he's going to get cut. That's obvious. Whatever, I'll let it go. I know I'm not the only one who sees this, but he obviously brings a lot to the table. I'm not trying to suggest he doesn't.

#7 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

If Machado goes 0 for his next 500, the O's might have to think about cutting him.

#analysiz

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and Pedro Cerrano like this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,327 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

If Machado goes 0 for his next 500, the O's might have to think about cutting him.

#analysiz

Alright, I did laugh here.

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

alvarezez

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

And like I said, if someone is a complete zero, of course he's going to get cut. That's obvious.

Which is why they cut Ubaldo 8 weeks ago.  Obvious.  :)

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Well the difference is, we don't owe Pedro anything next year. Ubaldo should have been gone a long time ago.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

Have had my battles with Rob so some might think I'm just piling on . Chris nailed some of the biggest issues with Rob. Its legit criticism.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Of course it's logical, but he comes in like it's some profound thing and he's first to point out he may be cut, but stops short of saying that's what he thinks is going to happen. And it's constant with this type of stuff. And like I said, if someone is a complete zero, of course he's going to get cut. That's obvious. Whatever, I'll let it go. I know I'm not the only one who sees this, but he obviously brings a lot to the table. I'm not trying to suggest he doesn't.

I don't know why you have had a hard on for me lately.

What I said is 100% spot on. If he continued to struggle, he was a DFA candidate.

If you think that's wrong, fine. You have a problem me saying that? Fine. Then put me on ignore. I haven't said anything to you and you have been a first class jerk towards me. So, 'enough.'

Btw, everyone does what you are bitching about. Look at the Ravens threads..well, if they are healthy, I expect this record..if not, I expect this. Wtf do you think that is?

Will the Orioles make the playoffs? Sure, if the starting pitching is better. It's said every day.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Ricker, you need to learn the difference between a prediction and a discussion.

There isn't a sports discussion that goes on that doesn't contain what if scenarios.

Predictions are saying, I say this will happen.

Hopefully you can comprehend the difference.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

It isn't personal Rob, it's an idiosyncrasy. Don't take it that way. Fine, you were discussing things. You were the ONLY one discussing cutting Alvarez, and it was off base. That's all I'm saying.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

It isn't personal Rob, it's an idiosyncrasy. Don't take it that way. Fine, you were discussing things. You were the ONLY one discussing cutting Alvarez, and it was off base. That's all I'm saying.

You think it was off base that I was discussing the possibility of someone being cut who was here for one job, hitting righties, and he was terrible at? What else was he bringing to the club?

The Orioles cut several guys last year around the time I was talking about cutting Alvarez...there was recent precedent to back up the idea that if it continued to be a problem, that him being DFA was a real possibility.

So, if he had a sub 670 OPs vs righties in mid June, you think he's kept and you would have been fine with him being out there?

#17 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

What I said is 100% spot on. 

Post of the day... and the real crux of the matter...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Right, and there was no understanding that he switched leagues, and switched to DH, which many big leaguers say is tougher than people realize. Bottom line, he was alone in that stance, but because it was a "well, he might turn it around and not get cut" he's not "wrong". Well, as Buck likes to say, you can be right and still be wrong. Rob just has it out for middling talent like Alvarez and immediately assumed he was a bust signing, IMO.

Did you take stupid pills today because this is fucking stupid.

There was a whole thread devoted to SG AS...a bunch of prospects who didn't hit or guys with middling talent that I felt was worth giving the chance too over signing FAs for more money.

I said for a while to start Flaherty at second. I am saying I would rather start Joseph over Wieters and you say I'm against middling players?

Seriously, just go the fuck away. You are busy making shit up and lying at this point. and to say it's not personal is fucking bs. You have made it personal.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

When personnel gets personal...

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, BobPhelan and 1 other like this

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Well, it's not personal on my end. You're missing my point, but that's OK. I'm moving on. No biggie. It's possible, too that I've misinterpreted your intent with this stuff, if not likely. I'll take that on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=