63 replies to this topic

#21 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

Not really seeing what makes the Aztec so hideous?  Looks like just another car to me.

(No, I don't own one :))

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Not really seeing what makes the Aztec so hideous?  Looks like just another car to me.

cokebottleglasses.jpg

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

e95a2921ccd6b80be677f53838140f32.jpg

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Any boxy looking car like that is hideous IMO.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

article-2429679-182E17A100000578-997_634

Calling you to let you know he agrees.

@DJ_McCann

#26 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

It's the face... cars have a face... the Aztec's face has 4 eyes and 2 noses... one pair of eyes and a nose right above another set of them...

Peter_Shmelzer-Four_Eyes.jpg

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#27 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Any boxy looking car like that is hideous IMO.

I like the Soul. Not a fan of the Scion or Nissan Cube or the HHR.

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:18 AM

Not all these seem ugly. Those Datsuns, Plymouths, Packards look sweet. That Aston Martin though. Ouch. It looks like a Ferrari from the windshield foward, and a Chrysler LeBaron from there back.

You think that abortion of a Packard looks sweet?   Really?

The Studebaker its based on looks sweet... but what they did to it to make that so-called Packard is a case of design abuse...

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

You think that abortion of a Packard looks sweet?   Really?

The Studebaker its based on looks sweet... but what they did to it to make that so-called Packard is a case of design abuse...

I mean, there's a lot going on there. It's a bit much, design wise. But it's definitely not the worst I've seen.
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

1982 Ford Fairmont. My first car. I don't have a picture of mine, but it looked exactly like this, except the hood was primer gray, and a little more rusty.

IMG_1094.jpg

Complete with the red and faux wood panel interior. (I didn't have this custom steering wheel). The only cool thing was the front seat was a bench seat. 

Fairmont3.jpg

• MKlein76 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

Took many family vacations in this guy.

vanpass.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Probably safe to say almost anything from the 80's was ugly. (Not including any of the real exotic stuff). Even Corvette, probably the gold standard for passing the eye test, wasn't anything special in the 80s. They were starting to get a little ridiculous in the late 70s. The 1983 to early 90s Covettes cleaned up what was becoming gimmicky with the real long hoods, big curves, but the clean lines style looked like a Camaro, or Trans-Am and less like a Corvette. The IROC-Z looked more sports like, racing like, than the Vettes in those years did. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

Probably safe to say almost anything from the 80's was ugly. (Not including any of the real exotic stuff). Even Corvette, probably the gold standard for passing the eye test, wasn't anything special in the 80s. They were starting to get a little ridiculous in the late 70s. The 1983 to early 90s Covettes cleaned up what was becoming gimmicky with the real long hoods, big curves, but the clean lines style looked like a Camaro, or Trans-Am and less like a Corvette. The IROC-Z looked more sports like, racing like, than the Vettes in those years did. 

The late-70's and the 80's were absolutely terrible years for cars... they were figuring out how to use plastics to save weight, but hadn't figured out how to make plastic look-and-feel nice... so the inside of every car just felt crappy.... plus, the requirements re: low pollution and good gas mileage created what was basically an either/or problem until they starting using computers to handle it... and they were just starting to figure that out...  so we got stuck with engines getting mediocre gas mileage while producing ridiculously tiny power... the only cars that you could drive and not be disappointed were some (but not all) of the Japanese ones... the Porsche 911 SC was a breakthrough in Porsche goodness, but that's not what most folks cared about....

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

^^^^^^

I've been trying to think of a good-design 80's car... and I can't do it.... 

The only attractive ones I can think of were essentially older designs that they didn't fuck up too much when they plasticized them...

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

1982 Ford Fairmont. My first car. I don't have a picture of mine, but it looked exactly like this, except the hood was primer gray, and a little more rusty.       Complete with the red and faux wood panel interior. (I didn't have this custom steering wheel). The only cool thing was the front seat was a bench seat.   

That's looks so similar to an '89 Cutless Sierra I had for a few months back in the day.

#36 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

^^^^^^

I've been trying to think of a good-design 80's car... and I can't do it.... 

The only attractive ones I can think of were essentially older designs that they didn't fuck up too much when they plasticized them...

Does the 944 count? 

DSC_0300-1280x850.jpg

• RShack likes this

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

Does the 944 count? 

DSC_0300-1280x850.jpg

Oh, what a good thought....

I think it's a perfectly fine design... and it sure is better than almost everything from its era.   At the same time, it was mainly a tasteful evolution of various elements from elsewhere... it wasn't anything new or special, it was simply attractive....  

By the time they got to the 944 Turbo (after starting out a few years earlier as the half-VW 924), it had become quite an excellent car... problem was that it's rep was not helped by conflating it with the 924.... plus, this era is when Porsche learned the hard way that Porsche customers want Porsches to look like 911's.  between the 944 Turbo and the more advanced 928 GT4, they had not just 1 but 2 excellent 911 replacements... and they were more than ready to kill off the 911 so they wouldn't have to cope with its quirks any longer... but the customer base would not let them... instead of the 911 dying in a fitting way, it killed off both of its 2 more-than-worthy successors....

#38 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

1982 Ford Fairmont. My first car. I don't have a picture of mine, but it looked exactly like this, except the hood was primer gray, and a little more rusty.       Complete with the red and faux wood panel interior. (I didn't have this custom steering wheel). The only cool thing was the front seat was a bench seat.   

Ha!! My first car was an 83 Fairmont!! It was a piece of shit! Primer spots, no acceleration, and horrible factory radio!
  • Mike in STL likes this
@MKlein76

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

Ha!! My first car was an 83 Fairmont!! It was a piece of shit! Primer spots, no acceleration, and horrible factory radio!

Yours had a radio? Lucky you. :P
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

1982 Ford Fairmont. My first car. I don't have a picture of mine, but it looked exactly like this, except the hood was primer gray, and a little more rusty.

IMG_1094.jpg

Complete with the red and faux wood panel interior. (I didn't have this custom steering wheel). The only cool thing was the front seat was a bench seat. 

general-lee-car-costume.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=