You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Jon Heyman via the Twitter:

market so strong for #padres headley he's almost sure to go. #yanks unlikely tho. cbsprt.co/PJ2qyx

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Jon Heyman via the Twitter:

OAK, BAL are suspected to be leading the race for Headley.
@JeremyMStrain

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

The market is said to be huge for Padres third baseman Chase Headley, and sources suggest the strong probablity is that he will be dealt.

The Yankees are unlikely to make a big push for Headley after losing Alex Rodriguez, who's probably out until mid-September with a broken hand, because they don't want to give up the prospects it would take. But San Diego doesn't need the Yankees to become involved. The Orioles, Indians, Pirates and A's are among as many as 10 teams to have checked in on Healdey.

Headley has a lot going for him, as a 28-year-old switch hitter making only $3.4 million, but the Padres are said be even a bit surprised at the demand for Headley. In a market filled with rentals, he stands out.

The other key for San Diego is that it has a top third base prospect Jedd Gyorko who they believe it ready to step in

Based on everything that has been said, Headley has to be the guy at the top of the Orioles list. They want defense, offense and improvement at third.

This would really be awesome if DD can swing Johnson and Headley while keeping Bundy and Machado. That is a great scenario for us. Gives us a chance to win this year and really sets us up for next year.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Based on everything that has been said, Headley has to be the guy at the top of the Orioles list. They want defense, offense and improvement at third.

This would really be awesome if DD can swing Johnson and Headley while keeping Bundy and Machado. That is a great scenario for us. Gives us a chance to win this year and really sets us up for next year.

Agreed -I've been pleasantly surprised he hasn't done anything stupid yet, and obviously seems intent on keeping Machado and Bundy. This could be a huge 6 days for us in defining our chances at contention over the next couple of years.

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I hear they are looking for pitching back for him. I say we offer Matusz, Strop and throw in Hobgood ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Agreed -I've been pleasantly surprised he hasn't done anything stupid yet, and obviously seems intent on keeping Machado and Bundy. This could be a huge 6 days for us in defining our chances at contention over the next couple of years.

Yea...This year is just icing on the cake if something happens. I still think with Johnson and Headley, we would need help to win the WC this year BUT this obviously would help.

But even moreso than that, it really puts us in great shape going forward..especially if we can get 60+ starts out of Hammel and Johnson next year.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I hear they are looking for pitching back for him. I say we offer Matusz, Strop and throw in Hobgood ;)

Think they would value guys like that over Schoop?

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Think they would value guys like that over Schoop?

Wishful thinking. I know they have a 2B coming that they really like (Spangenberg) and an OF that should be a good one (Liriano) young at 1B, C. Maybe if they'd play Schoop at SS, but I don't think he can play there in the ML and I assume their scouts feel the same. Their pitching, they have a couple young guys coming, but Matusz could step in now and do well I think. Hobgood is hurt, but he's a hometown kid and if he could come back, that's a good low risk as a throw in. Strop would give them a power arm for set up/closer intern. I don't think it's a horrible deal, but might need to add Avery too.
@JeremyMStrain

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Wishful thinking. I know they have a 2B coming that they really like (Spangenberg) and an OF that should be a good one (Liriano) young at 1B, C. Maybe if they'd play Schoop at SS, but I don't think he can play there in the ML and I assume their scouts feel the same. Their pitching, they have a couple young guys coming, but Matusz could step in now and do well I think. Hobgood is hurt, but he's a hometown kid and if he could come back, that's a good low risk as a throw in. Strop would give them a power arm for set up/closer intern. I don't think it's a horrible deal, but might need to add Avery too.

Great...Would trade Avery, Strop and Hobgood instead of Schoop in a second.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Matusz with an important start tonight?

#31 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Can we get Headley by giving up our comp pick instead of Schoop? I'd much rather do that.

Matusz/Arrieta, Avery, comp pick?

The comp pick is huge in terms of our ability to bolster our trade options without giving up premium talent.

Alternatively I was thinking maybe a 2B.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Can we get Headley by giving up our comp pick instead of Schoop? I'd much rather do that.

Matusz/Arrieta, Avery, comp pick?

The comp pick is absolutely huge in terms of our ability to bolster our trade options without giving up premium talent.

I would think teams value Schoop more but yes, that comp pick is huge for us IMO.

The Marlins or Padres would likely be all over that.

#33 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Is Callaspo even available? I don't see that the Angels have a 3B who could step in and replace him.

They have this kid named Mark Trumbo. Ever heard of him?

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,004 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

They have this kid named Mark Trumbo. Ever heard of him?

I think most have heard of him. But the perception is that they feel he is a butcher at 3B and no longer an option there defensively.

Perhaps reality is different from perception, it often is, but from a distance it doesn't appear that they like Trumbo at 3B. If they did, we'd probably see him there and Bourjous in the OF a lot more often.

#35 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I think most have heard of him. But the perception is that they feel he is a butcher at 3B and no longer an option there defensively.

Perhaps reality is different from perception, it often is, but from a distance it doesn't appear that they like Trumbo at 3B. If they did, we'd probably see him there and Bourjous in the OF a lot more often.

I did notice that when the Angels were in Baltimore, they had Trumbo taking a lot of infield practice at third base for someone who they have no aspirations to put there in the future. Pretty much any time he wasn't hitting, he was taking infield practice at third base. They also have Izturis.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#36 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I'd hate to give up Schoop. I think he profiles at least a solid infielder and a long-term solution at either second or third and I don't see anything that tells me he can't stick at second at least for now. (He's pretty big though...he's listed at 6'1" but that's about three inches too short...he was standing next to Machado for the national anthem during the Bowie game on Friday and Schoop was bigger.)
@BSLLukeJackson

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'd hate to give up Schoop. I think he profiles at least a solid infielder and a long-term solution at either second or third and I don't see anything that tells me he can't stick at second at least for now. (He's pretty big though...he's listed at 6'1" but that's about three inches too short...he was standing next to Machado for the national anthem during the Bowie game on Friday and Schoop was bigger.)

I don't want to give him up ideally, but there comes a point where you have to give up value to get value. If we somehow, some way could get Josh Johnson and Chase Headley while retaining Machado and Bundy, we should all be doing cart wheels (or in my case, attempting, while failing miserable for the entertainment of others).

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

I did notice that when the Angels were in Baltimore, they had Trumbo taking a lot of infield practice at third base for someone who they have no aspirations to put there in the future. Pretty much any time he wasn't hitting, he was taking infield practice at third base. They also have Izturis.

They've been trying to work him at 3B for 2 years, but there is a reason he is in the OF right now.
@JeremyMStrain

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

No one wants to give up Schoop but his position is questionable and Johnson and Headley are both potential 5+ WAR players.

Huge needs for us.

#40 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think Schoop profiles best at 3B, and is probably going to be a very good one. I also think that if the 20-yr old were in High A Frederick hitting to the tune of .300/.380/.470/.850 with 16 HR's, his star might be seen as a bit brighter than it is currently. The O's should be playing him at 3B, and leave him there beside Machado.

I would be upset if he were dealt for a rental, but for a Headley or Josh Johnson I'd pull the trigger... reluctantly for Johnson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=