SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

..try and get Callaspo.

We have discussed him on here. He has a solid walk rate and usually hits for a decent average..His BABIP is unlucky this year, so that is hurting some of his overall numbers.

His power isn't great but he has 25 double, 10 homer capabilities.

He is a very good defensive third baseman as well.

http://www.fangraphs... ... tion=2B/3B

He is under team control through next year.

With him having a slightly down year(after a 3.6 WAR last year) and the Angels want relief help, a deal is likely there to be made...Perhaps sending ODay, Lindstrom or Ayala to the Angels...We perhaps would also have to include a C level prospect but that would be fine.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

With him having a slightly down year(after a 3.6 WAR last year) and the Angels want relief help, a deal is likely there to be made...Perhaps sending ODay, Lindstrom or Ayala to the Angels...We perhaps would also have to include a C level prospect but that would be fine.

I'd be willing to do that trade even if we get Headley. Just move Callaspo to 2B in that scenario. I know we talked about this before, and his 2B defensive numbers aren't as nicely regarded as his numbers at 3B, but I think it's possible that this is more of a statistical fluke, since it was only one full season at 2B. Perhaps he won't be very good at 2B, but much like Polanco, he'd be a nice upgrade over what we've run out there all year long.

Definitely a solid target.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd be willing to do that trade even if we get Headley. Just move Callaspo to 2B in that scenario. I know we talked about this before, and his 2B defensive numbers aren't as nicely regarded as his numbers at 3B, but I think it's possible that this is more of a statistical fluke, since it was only one full season at 2B. Perhaps he won't be very good at 2B, but much like Polanco, he'd be a nice upgrade over what we've run out there all year long.

Definitely a solid target.

Yea, i agree with this. Either way, he should be a target.

But he could be a very good, under the radar pick up and I bet we could sign him to a 3 year extension(including next year) for no more than 20 million, which could be a very nice cheap contract for a guy who can get on base and play good defense at a key position. But I wouldn't give him this extension as a second baseman until I saw his defense there first.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

I will say this...Between Headley, Callaspo and Hanley, there is very little reason for us to have the same crap third base options we currently have by the time the deadline comes and goes.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

But he could be a very good, under the radar pick up and I bet we could sign him to a 3 year extension(including next year) for no more than 20 million, which could be a very nice cheap contract for a guy who can get on base and play good defense at a key position. But I wouldn't give him this extension as a second baseman until I saw his defense there first.

I wouldn't give him an extension like that right away. Maybe in the offseason if I really liked what I saw, but probably not until next season (arb eligible for final time), if ever. He's only been worth about 1.5-1.75 WAR per each 500 PAs in his career. While that's probably worth a $5-6M deal, I don't love the idea of spending the going FA rate on a per-WAR basis on a multi-year deal for guys who are only average really. I feel like we should be able to find a Betemit type or someone like him on a 1-year deal in any of those years who we could reasonable expect to get 1-2 WAR out of given similar playing time. I don't think it'd be a terrible idea, but I wouldn't rush into making a longer-term decision like that.

#6 GlennGulliver

GlennGulliver
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Is Callaspo even available? I don't see that the Angels have a 3B who could step in and replace him.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Is Callaspo even available? I don't see that the Angels have a 3B who could step in and replace him.

They could move Trumbo back there unless they hated him there.

Also have Macier Izturis.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

They could move Trumbo back there unless they hated him there.

Also have Macier Izturis.

They did hate him there, it was supposed to be LF or DH for him this year with Pujols on board. I wondered why but apparently he is a butcher at 3B.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

And just like that, NYY in on Headley. They will give up some top guys too.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't see how NYY could top Schoop/BMat/Avery or something like that.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

He makes sense of a lot of team but with the cluster they have at third/first/dh, I wonder if a guy like Wigginton(who they are also looking at reportedly), makes more sense for them since he is only signed through the year and can help them out at multiple positions when AROD comes back.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

He makes sense of a lot of team but with the cluster they have at third/first/dh, I wonder if a guy like Wigginton(who they are also looking at reportedly), makes more sense for them since he is only signed through the year and can help them out at multiple positions when AROD comes back.

Wigginton might make more sense if they were at all worried about a logjam "when AROD comes back". This is the Yankees. They'll solve the problem in the best way possible right now and then worry about the consequences later, just eating salary to fix any issues if they do exist.

I'd still be pushing hard for Headley. The Yankees would have to do something really solid to top Schoop, Matusz, and Avery, IMO.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Wigginton might make more sense if they were at all worried about a logjam "when AROD comes back". This is the Yankees. They'll solve the problem in the best way possible right now and then worry about the consequences later, just eating salary to fix any issues if they do exist.

I'd still be pushing hard for Headley. The Yankees would have to do something really solid to top Schoop, Matusz, and Avery, IMO.

Yea, I know this.

What I am saying is do the Yankees want to give up a lot of top prospects for a guy that probably won't play much in October..Not like they even need the offense or anything over the next 6-8 weeks. They will be fine..Their lead is huge in the division.

They could get Wigginton and get enough out of him and Chavez to get by and then AROD comes back for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and the playoffs.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I don't see how NYY could top Schoop/BMat/Avery or something like that.

Austin Romine, Bichette Jr. and Banuelos or Betances would CRUSH any package we could make short of MM/Bundy.

And that's assuming they want to keep Sanchez over Romine.

This would be a long term move with ARod shifting to DH next year.

Either way, it doesn't have to make sense, it's the Yankees, and I hear they are REALLY in on him as of this morning.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Austin Romine, Bichette Jr. and Banuelos or Betances would CRUSH any package we could make short of MM/Bundy.

Either way, it doesn't have to make sense, it's the Yankees, and I hear they are REALLY in on him as of this morning.

Yea, NY has a good farm system.

I just hope Cashman's preference to not trade prospects wins over in this one and they go for the cheaper Wiggy.

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yea, NY has a good farm system.

I just hope Cashman's preference to not trade prospects wins over in this one and they go for the cheaper Wiggy.

Might be right, Heyman says Yanks won't meet outrageous asking price, and I know the Yanks are trying to cut costs, so they are putting a premium on their prospects right now.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Might be right, Heyman says Yanks won't meet outrageous asking price, and I know the Yanks are trying to cut costs, so they are putting a premium on their prospects right now.

Yea, thats the hope...Cause you are right, if they want Headley bad enough, we can't beat them.

Our best hope in that scenario is perhaps to offer a very good but not quite as good package but also take back Clayton Richard and his contract. Save them some money.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for correcting me. I should have looked up their farm system before I posted that. I was under the impression that when they traded Montero for Pineda, that was the last truly good prospect they had. Guess I was wrong. The rich somehow always find a way to get richer.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for correcting me. I should have looked up their farm system before I posted that. I was under the impression that when they traded Montero for Pineda, that was the last truly good prospect they had. Guess I was wrong. The rich somehow always find a way to get richer.

Don't sweat it, it was a real sudden turn around. They signed a couple IFA, and had a couple draft guys from 10-12 move quick. If they don't trade off parts they should be top 5-10 this year easy.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

One thing I had forgotten is that Headley could play an OF corner spot, so that makes him more sensible for the Yankees for this season. UGH!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=