• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

LHP, Western Michigan
4/1/95

6'0, 200 lbs

Selected: 2nd Round Pick (54th Overall)

119th overall MLB Pipeline:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Western Michigan hasn't had a player selected in the first three rounds since Ryan Van De Weg (Padres) and Luke Wilcox (Yankees) in 1995, but Akin should end that drought this June. He matched potential first-rounder Eric Lauer pitch for pitch in an April matchup in front of several scouts and obliterated big leaguer Pat Misch's school strikeout record, fanning 129 in 105 innings heading into the NCAA tournament. He pitched the Broncos to their first Mid-American Conference tournament championship by winning two games in five days (and MVP honors) while permitting just one unearned run in 13 2/3 innings.

One of the hardest-throwing lefty starters in the college ranks, Akin usually pitches at 91-94 mph and peaks at 96 with late life on his fastball. Though he's not a big guy, he maintains his velocity deep into games and generates it without much effort in his delivery. There's some debate as to which is better, his low-80s slider or his tumbling changeup, but both should be at least average offerings.

Akin has three pitches and fills the strike zone, so he'll definitely be a starter going forward. He fared well against quality competition in the Cape Cod League last summer, another point in his favor.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

Manuel / Baseball America said he had a chance to climb into the back of the 1st...

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

MLB.com / Video

http://m.mlb.com/vid...college-pitcher

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

Kamar's brother?
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

WMU Bio:
http://www.wmubronco...TCLID=209251763

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

Named BA All-American...

http://www.wmubronco...TCLID=211002429

@KeeganAkin

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

MLB Daily Dish: Get to know projected 2016 MLB Draft prospect Keegan Akin
http://www.mlbdailyd...iew-keegan-akin

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

119th? Ugh

Definitely higher ranked guys there. Doesn't mean the Os felt the same way but I hope they didn't go with sign ability over talent.

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:18 PM

119th? Ugh Definitely higher ranked guys there. Doesn't mean the Os felt the same way but I hope they didn't go with sign ability over talent.

They always do... He finished strong

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

I've said this about guys like Sisco and Mountcastle....no issues with the talent.  I just question whether you have to draft him HERE.

Aikn isn't going to be around at #69?

We essentially are trading Nolan Jones for Dietz....

.....what's worse is we probably actually traded Matusz and Nolan Jones for 3M. 

#13 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

I've said this about guys like Sisco and Mountcastle....no issues with the talent.  I just question whether you have to draft him HERE.

Aikn isn't going to be around at #69?

We essentially are trading Nolan Jones for Dietz....

.....what's worse is we probably actually traded Matusz and Nolan Jones for 3M. 

The MLB draft has a lot of other factors.  They might take him here so he'll sign below slot and allocate the money elsewhere.

I feel like I have to remind people of this every year.  Its not the NFL draft.

• JeremyStrain, Chris B and Icterus galbula like this

@fuzydunlop

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

The MLB draft has a lot of other factors. They might take him here so he'll sign below slot and allocate the money elsewhere.

I feel like I have to remind people of this every year. Its not the NFL draft.

Sure it's possible...but why wait if a top talent is already there? Why not get the top guy early and get a cheaper talent in the 6th round? Why does it have to be the other way around?

#15 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Sure it's possible...but why wait if a top talent is already there? Why not get the top guy early and get a cheaper talent in the 6th round? Why does it have to be the other way around?

How much saving can you get on say the 8th round pick?  The slot is only 179K.  The slot for round 2 is 1.177 million.  

Beyond that, you guys are going solely off of BA rankings to deride the pick.  I have no idea, neither do you.

I don't mean to sound like Shack, but in this situation, we've gotta trust the people who do this 365.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

How much saving can you get on say the 8th round pick? The slot is only 179K. The slot for round 2 is 1.177 million.

Beyond that, you guys are going solely off of BA rankings to deride the pick. I have no idea, neither do you.

I don't mean to sound like Shack, but in this situation, we've gotta trust the people who do this 365.

No we don't.

Because AGAIN(!), we aren't knocking the players...we are knocking the process.

As far as Jones, it's not just BA...many people seemed to really like him...including scouts.

So, yea I would like the high ceiling positional talent that most had ranked as a first rounder and get him in the second round. That's something I would always be looking for.

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

The MLB draft has a lot of other factors.  They might take him here so he'll sign below slot and allocate the money elsewhere.

I feel like I have to remind people of this every year.  Its not the NFL draft.

....so why would anyone have to remind you that this isn't really where the orioles live?  I'm not bashing the draft (or all the drafts).  There are things I think they've done well and there's things i don't think so.

If you think that, because they're doing it, they've got the only right answer....we should have a system better than almost last.

You get credit for doing your job well when there's evidence of you doing your job well.

Again....poor decisions like Gallardo and Matusz cause the Orioles to minimize the opportunities of this draft.

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

As far as Jones, it's not just BA...many people seemed to really like him...including scouts.

...can I add to this?  There's a ton of PROFESSIONAL information out there on all these guys.  It makes me laugh when people aren't able to leverage professional information to establish their opinion because it's not what the Orioles do.

Right....I have not personally scouted any of these guys....but lots of professionals have....and they share their opinion.

....unless you think the Orioles are better than the other professionals in the community....then I would request the metrics by which you develop that assessment.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

....so why would anyone have to remind you that this isn't really where the orioles live? I'm not bashing the draft (or all the drafts). There are things I think they've done well and there's things i don't think so.

If you think that, because they're doing it, they've got the only right answer....we should have a system better than almost last.

You get credit for doing your job well when there's evidence of you doing your job well.

Again....poor decisions like Gallardo and Matusz cause the Orioles to minimize the opportunities of this draft.

Yep. We entered last offseason with a chance to have 7 top 90 picks. Wieters accepted the QO and you kept Davis. Fine.

But then you made a terrible mistake by signing a mediocre pitcher. Then, you decided to tender an expensive deal to a decent loogy. I don't think you can think BMat would be as bad as he was but you can absolutely believe he wasn't worthy of a 4ishM deal.

Because you kept him and because you signed the other guys, you "lost" 3 picks....that's 3 early picks for a shit farm system. A system that prevents us from making trades. A system that, if it was stronger, you wouldn't be signing the Ubaldos and Gallardos of the world.

It's just so frustrating that this organization just doesn't seem to get this.

#20 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

Are you really bashing the O's for taking a player that you didn't know existed before the draft?

Also, I'm not talking *at all* about them signing players that take away draft picks.  I'm very against that, especially for Gallardo.

I'm all for getting as much talent in the system as possible, but there is literally no way you can say definitively that they aren't doing that.  Reading a BA ranking does not make you an expert on this stuff.  It just doesn't, you can't argue that. 

I'm not going to debate this further for the sake of my own blood pressure.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=