• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

The O's entered today 50-44, with 68 games left in the season.

To finish with their first non-losing season since '97, Baltimore has to go 31-37 (including today), the rest of the way.

Schedule
7/22 - 23: @Cleveland
7/24 - 26: vs. Tampa Bay
7/27 - 29th: vs. Oakland
7/30 - 31st: @NYY
8/1: @NYY
8/3 - 5th: @TB
8/6 - 8th: Seattle
8/9 - 12th: KC
8/14 - 16th: Boston
8/17 - 19th: @Detroit
8/20 - 22nd: @Texas
8/24 - 26th: Toronto
8/27 - 30th: CWS
8/31: @NYY
9/1 - 2nd: @NYY
9/3 - 5th: @TOR
9/6 - 9th: NYY
9/11 - 13th: TB
9/14 - 16th: @OAK
9/17 - 19th: @SEA
9/21 - 23rd: @BOS
9/24 - 26th: TOR
9/28 - 30th: BOS
10/1 - 3rd: @TB

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

If they make some moves, I think they likely do it.

If they don't, it's going to be a struggle.

#3 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

I agree with SG. DD needs to make some moves or else we're going to struggle to get there.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

One more in the win column... time to peel off another piece.

Posted Image

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

We're now 9-8 in July after this current 5-game win streak.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

The last 14 years tells us to be pessimistic, but since late August of last year the Orioles are something like 74-60, which is not a small sample size. Based on that, and based on the scrappiness of the team, and on the fact that come September we will probably have a 18 man pitching staff, which will allow us to not totally run guys into the ground, and also match up, I will say yes we do it.

With all due respect, maybe the question is what is the number to get one of the WC spots. Is 87 enough???
The one thing the 2012 Orioles have accomplished is they have stayed in the fight until late July. We may not look at ourselves as playoff Contenders but on July 22 the standings disagree.
@mikeghg

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

With all due respect, maybe the question is what is the number to get one of the WC spots. Is 87 enough???
The one thing the 2012 Orioles have accomplished is they have stayed in the fight until late July. We may not look at ourselves as playoff Contenders but on July 22 the standings disagree.

The number for the 2nd WC historically has been 89 wins.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, I can't get on board with a countdown to 81. I mean I understand it's significance to O's fans, but to be quite blunt, it's a loser mentality for this to be some kind of goal. I can honestly say that if we end up winning 80 games vs 81 it's not going to make any difference to me.
  • Baltimore Chop likes this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I can't get on board with a countdown to 81. I mean in the grand scheme of things I understand it's significance to O's fans but to be quite blunt it's a loser mentality for this to be some kind of goal.

You could make the argument that the countdown should be to 75 wins...gotta walk before you can crawl.

I mean, I get your point and all but we need to see this team do step 1 before we can talk about step 5.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

You could make the argument that the countdown should be to 75 wins...gotta walk before you can crawl.

I mean, I get your point and all but we need to see this team do step 1 before we can talk about step 5.

Well with my edit, I think we agree. Certainly, I want to see improvement in the record and more importantly the feeling that we are building a core of players that can make us a legit contender. The exact number of wins is irrelevant unless it's enough to get us in the playoffs. 81 means very little to me.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well with my eidt, I think we agree. Certainly, I want to see improvement in the record and more importantly the feeling that we are building a core of players that can make us a legit contender. The exact number of wins is irrelevant unless it's enough to get us in the playoffs. Again, 81 means very, very little to me.

I don't disagree witht that but I do think it could mean something to the players and the organization.

But for me personally, all 81 wins means is a better chance of losing our 1st round draft pick.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, I can't get on board with a countdown to 81. I mean I understand it's significance to O's fans, but to be quite blunt, it's a loser mentality for this to be some kind of goal. I can honestly say that if we end up winning 80 games vs 81 it's not going to make any difference to me.

I can understand that pov, part of me agrees. However, while no flags will fly for 81 or more wins, reaching that goal should matter some for the organization. My opinion on this has changed over the years. There was a point during these consecutive years of losing, where I thought a .500 season was irrelevant. My rationale was that all that mattered was reaching the post-season, and giving yourself an opportunity to win a championship. With that in-mind, I was willing to sacrifice wins in any given season, if that meant the O’s would be better positioned for wins going forward. My opinion here has changed. I think it is important that milestone is reached. Mattering in the sense that the organization, and their fans, can have that weight off their shoulders.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

A .500 record isn't the goal at this point, it's the silver lining.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Absolutely. It's a "check point" along the way.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

It isn't a goal. It's a step.

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well said. It's just the intense competitor in me that doesn't really care much for silver linings.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

True enough. It is pretty damn cool, to be at the end of July, and a potential .500 season to be the silver lining. Especially since we entered this season, with Vegas setting the over/under for wins at 69.5.

#18 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

True enough. It is pretty damn cool, to be at the end of July, and a potential .500 season to be the silver lining. Especially since we entered this season, with Vegas setting the over/under for wins at 69.5.

Exactly. And much of the fanbase, myself included, wasn't sure if we'd hit that mark. I typically am able to be optimistic in the offseason, so, gun to my head, I would have went with the over, but not with a huge amount of confidence.

@AdamWolff

#19 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

The real test for this team will come in September. August will be fairly tough, but September could be brutal because of the level of competition we'll be facing.

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

The number for the 2nd WC historically has been 89 wins.

I know, but have a feeling it will be a little lower this year. Besides, the ANgels, I think the competition will make it harder for anyone else to get that high.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=