Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Call those people out. I don't do that.

The very first thing you wrote was "There are about 900 other things I'll tune into watch over the next few days instead of this.  For the most part could not care less."

I don't know why you are getting so defensive and trying to spin what happened.

If my uninterest in (and voicing of said) the draft derailed the thread and upset you and/or others by not contribution to or furthering the conversation as it specifically relates to the upcoming draft then my apologies.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

I don't know if this was covered yet, but Mayock has Myles jack falling to #14 and the Raiders. 

Thats probably a situation where if he falls past #6 or #7, the next few teams will get scared and balk, until he's fallen so far that you have to take him at #14 

@BSLMikeRandall

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Anyway, back to the draft.

Who would you dread falling into the Steelers lap?

Nkemdiche

• GabeFerguson likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

I don't know if this was covered yet, but Mayock has Myles jack falling to #14 and the Raiders. 

Thats probably a situation where if he falls past #6 or #7, the next few teams will get scared and balk, until he's fallen so far that you have to take him at #14 

I bet teams trust their own doctors enough to not pass on drafting a player who they've cleared just because other teams haven't drafted him.   I think Jack dropping is possible, but nobody is passing on him because other teams also passed, they'd be passing on him because they've downgraded him because of the injury (or they like someone else more).

#45 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Also another player the Ravens could potentially target if they trade back.

Which brings me to another though I have been pondering. One of the things I don't get about the Myles Jack situation, people are inferring that he will fall because teams drafting high are scared off by the knee. I get that, but why would any team use their first round pick on a player then? If he is too risky for one team's first round pick at #6 isn't he too risky for a team picking at #12 as well? Either way it's the teams top selection. I know higher picks have more value, but the perceived risk taken on by the team is still the same. So if the talent taken is too great too pass on at #12 is there really that much risk?

I think it would be a mistake to pass on him with my knowledge of the situation. Some teams won't draft him, but some teams will. His knee is fine to play on now. Those two things to me indicate the cartilage defect is not in a bad state. Could it get worse? Absolutely, but if it were a major red flag there would be more widespread concern than a couple sources saying a few teams won't take him.

@gabefergy

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

I don't want Jaylon Smith going to NE and I think that's really possible

#47 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

Nkemdiche

That was my first thought as well, but I don't think they will because what they need is a NT and that is definitely not where Nkemdiche would play. They already have two good DT/DEs. 

@gabefergy

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

I think it would be a mistake to pass on him with my knowledge of the situation. Some teams won't draft him, but some teams will. His knee is fine to play on now. Those two things to me indicate the cartilage defect is not in a bad state. Could it get worse? Absolutely, but if it were a major red flag there would be more widespread concern than a couple sources saying a few teams won't take him.

I think your (and all of our) knowledge of the situation is way too incomplete to make judgement.

Some teams will fail him and some teams will pass him.  The teams that pass him are probably fine with taking him as high as #6 and the teams that fail him probably wouldn't take him even at #12 or much lower.  Some teams also probably will have a solution partway in between the two, where they would draft him, but have lowered his ranking on their boards to reflect the higher risk of injury they feel he carries.

Each team makes their own decision on how much, if at all, to slide him down their board based on their evaluation of the knee.  I think it's possible some teams don't downgrade him at all while other teams remove him from consideration completely.

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

Mayock has us trading out with Tennesses and selecting a WR at 15

Has us taking Josh Doctson. I'm on board with that, given the haul in return for moving back. He's the best WR in the draft IMO. A real deep threat who wins contested catches. Maybe with the acquired picks they maneuver to get Alexander and Calhoun to shore up the defense. 

If they trade back and the WR is Treadwell I'll be more upset than I was at the Perriman pick. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#50 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

I think your (and all of our) knowledge of the situation is way too incomplete to make judgement.

Some teams will fail him and some teams will pass him.  The teams that pass him are probably fine with taking him as high as #6 and the teams that fail him probably wouldn't take him even at #12 or much lower.  Some teams also probably will have a solution partway in between the two, where they would draft him, but have lowered his ranking on their boards to reflect the higher risk of injury they feel he carries.

Each team makes their own decision on how much, if at all, to slide him down their board based on their evaluation of the knee.  I think it's possible some teams don't downgrade him at all while other teams remove him from consideration completely.

But if some teams are willing to take him, that says a lot. 

It could just come down to some teams being more risk averse than others, but even then if there are multiple team's medical staffs who have OK'd him, which is what several reports have stated it can't be a terrible injury.

@gabefergy

#51 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

I'd be absolutely shocked if we traded back and took Doctson. 

I wouldn't be unhappy, but I'd be really surprised. Not a bad draft to do this, especially if you think the pass rusher you want/need can come later. But I'd be intrigued to say the least!

• Mike in STL likes this

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

If you trade back to 15, and take someone like Doctson....  that would only increase my desire to trade back into the 1st using the 36th, and +... would love to gamble on Nkemdiche in the 20s.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,623 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

Its fun to add new players to a team your root for. Thats all there is to it. I think you should go back to the Star Wars and Beatles threads to remind everyone how you aren't interested in them too. Its really important to hear what you don't care about. Adds a lot to the conversation.

Lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#54 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

One more thing re: Leonard Floyd.

NFL.com has his pro comparison as Eli Harold.... a 3rd round pick last year who didn't really make any sort of impact. (I had to look him up)

That's not exactly super inspiring.

• Mike in STL likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

That was my first thought as well, but I don't think they will because what they need is a NT and that is definitely not where Nkemdiche would play. They already have two good DT/DEs. 

Nkemdichie is certainly too lean to play NT. But I could see Stephon Tuitt moving inside more for them. They can take that chance on a guy at #25. From reading Steelers blogs, many think that behind Tuitt and Heyward, they have zero depth on the front line. 

They also had an awful passing defense last year, and could double dip at CB and Safety in the first two rounds. So if they take Alexander at #25, I'll be equally as afraid to have to deal with that two to three times a year.

@BSLMikeRandall

#56 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

One more thing re: Leonard Floyd.

NFL.com has his pro comparison as Eli Harold.... a 3rd round pick last year who didn't really make any sort of impact. (I had to look him up)

That's not exactly super inspiring.

I think he is more like a poor man's Anthony Barr, but that's also not a glowing endorsement.

Like Barr, he is very versatile and athletic. Barr was more of a natural pass-rusher and more physical in run defense.

@gabefergy

#57 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

Nkemdichie is certainly too lean to play NT. But I could see Stephon Tuitt moving inside more for them. They can take that chance on a guy at #25. From reading Steelers blogs, many think that behind Tuitt and Heyward, they have zero depth on the front line. 

They also had an awful passing defense last year, and could double dip at CB and Safety in the first two rounds. So if they take Alexander at #25, I'll be equally as afraid to have to deal with that two to three times a year.

Alexander is who I had in mind myself. Really really good and loves to chirp.

• Mike in STL likes this

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

But if some teams are willing to take him, that says a lot. 

It could just come down to some teams being more risk averse than others, but even then if there are multiple team's medical staffs who have OK'd him, which is what several reports have stated it can't be a terrible injury.

It's because they aren't basing it on his current injury status, the risk with Jack seems to be all about predicting if/when he'll have a devastating future injury.  Which if pitchers and trying to predict and prevent ligament replacement surgery has taught us anything, is basically voodoo. 

Some teams probably think they can make a reasonable guess and adjust his valuation if necessary based on that voodoo, and others won't.  That's why he'll be off or lowered on some boards, and left alone on others.  This type of medicine may still be a science, but it certainly isn't an exact one.

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

Maybe it's the hair, but Bosa reminds me of Lattimer from "The Program".

lat1.jpg

@BSLMikeRandall

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

If you trade back to 15, and take someone like Doctson.... that would only increase my desire to trade back into the 1st using the 36th, and +... would love to gamble on Nkemdiche in the 20s.

I think he lasts till tomorrow unless Seattle takes him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=