29 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

Having and Orioles kind of night. My team went a dreadful 5 for 34....Oh. But with 3 dingers and 6 RBI.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Glad I didn't trade any of my pitching for Britton because I've already last Heaney for at least a month maybe longer....  The guy who has Britton did say he would trade him for hitter as well.  I'm a little deeper at hitting, so I might be able to swing that.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Trading for saves is generally not advised.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Glad I didn't trade any of my pitching for Britton because I've already last Heaney for at least a month maybe longer....  The guy who has Britton did say he would trade him for hitter as well.  I'm a little deeper at hitting, so I might be able to swing that.

Yeah. Unless its an established guy and it also helps immensely in the Ks department like Chapman, Kimbrel, I wouldn't do it. Britton is up there for sure. Would only trade someone expendable to my team for the upgrade. Otherwise, watch the teams whose closers are wetting the bed and add the set up man. Then play the waiting game.

@BSLMikeRandall

#25 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

Yeah. Unless its an established guy and it also helps immensely in the Ks department like Chapman, Kimbrel, I wouldn't do it. Britton is up there for sure. Would only trade someone expendable to my team for the upgrade. Otherwise, watch the teams whose closers are wetting the bed and add the set up man. Then play the waiting game.

Even though a guy like Britton is likely to help in ERA and WHIP too?  Granted the innings will be less, 70ish but that still can help a bit.  It's just with just having Robertson only now I feel like I'm in no mans land.  With 11 teams in the league having only one closer  likely only nets me a few points,  getting a 2nd likely puts me in the top 3.  So is it worth it to gamble giving up something for those saves, keeping 1 and just taking a couple points or should I just punt and deal Robertson to someone else and improve my team elsewhere?  For the record I've always hated the saves category. 

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

Even though a guy like Britton is likely to help in ERA and WHIP too?  Granted the innings will be less, 70ish but that still can help a bit.  It's just with just having Robertson only now I feel like I'm in no mans land.  With 11 teams in the league having only one closer  likely only nets me a few points,  getting a 2nd likely puts me in the top 3.  So is it worth it to gamble giving up something for those saves, keeping 1 and just taking a couple points or should I just punt and deal Robertson to someone else and improve my team elsewhere?  For the record I've always hated the saves category. 

Well increased Ks and K rates will lower the ERA and WHIP naturally. If Its a guy that doesn't get Ks at a high rate, ERA and WHIP become more suspect to the defense. Out of the pitchers control.

Who are you trying to move for Britton?
@BSLMikeRandall

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

ESPN / Paul Sporer: MLB daily notes: Jose Fernandez or Noah Syndergaard

http://espn.go.com/f...12-mlb-matchups

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

So some annoying nonsense is going on in one of my fantasy leagues. (Not yours Pedro). 

It's head to head format. One guy in the first week lost every category. Started 0-12. He goes all...rebuild mode, already. 

So this trade pops up yesterday morning. He trades away Strasburg, Price, and Granderson. In return he gets Lorenzo Cain, Shields, Fiers, Tyler White. No one really veto's trades, but I simply posted on the message board, it's lopsided as hell. The meat of it is Cain for Strasburg and Price, the rest is throwaways. 

Also odd, if he's in rebuild mode, why is he getting rid of cornerstone pitchers...for Lorenzo Cain. He must think Tyler White is for real even though he made the team out of ST by default. 

So a few people agree with me. Dumb trade, whatever. Few hours later he trades away Mark Melancon for Byung Ho Park. Whatever. 

THEN... later that day, he starts adding the following players off the wire and dropping his bottom tier players. Tyler Glasnow. Julio Urias, Yoan Moncada, Orlando Arcia, Joey Gallo. All of them in the minors.

This evening, he traded away two mediocre SPs, Jose Quintana and Kyle Gibson, for a 10th round draft pick. That means he has two more roster spots open. If I'm a betting man, I'd say he's going to the prospect well again once the trade goes through. 

I don't care if one guys hoards all the prospects. We only get six keepers so if he wants them all to be unproven talent and maybe a couple pan out, thats his dumb strategy. But I think he needs to put together a team of players that are at least playing to keep the competitive balance at least somewhat fair. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

So some annoying nonsense is going on in one of my fantasy leagues. (Not yours Pedro). 

It's head to head format. One guy in the first week lost every category. Started 0-12. He goes all...rebuild mode, already. 

So this trade pops up yesterday morning. He trades away Strasburg, Price, and Granderson. In return he gets Lorenzo Cain, Shields, Fiers, Tyler White. No one really veto's trades, but I simply posted on the message board, it's lopsided as hell. The meat of it is Cain for Strasburg and Price, the rest is throwaways. 

Also odd, if he's in rebuild mode, why is he getting rid of cornerstone pitchers...for Lorenzo Cain. He must think Tyler White is for real even though he made the team out of ST by default. 

So a few people agree with me. Dumb trade, whatever. Few hours later he trades away Mark Melancon for Byung Ho Park. Whatever. 

THEN... later that day, he starts adding the following players off the wire and dropping his bottom tier players. Tyler Glasnow. Julio Urias, Yoan Moncada, Orlando Arcia, Joey Gallo. All of them in the minors.

This evening, he traded away two mediocre SPs, Jose Quintana and Kyle Gibson, for a 10th round draft pick. That means he has two more roster spots open. If I'm a betting man, I'd say he's going to the prospect well again once the trade goes through. 

I don't care if one guys hoards all the prospects. We only get six keepers so if he wants them all to be unproven talent and maybe a couple pan out, thats his dumb strategy. But I think he needs to put together a team of players that are at least playing to keep the competitive balance at least somewhat fair. 

When you talk to Sam about this, tell him I think he got a bad rap for his moves with the Sixers, but that 13-page resignation letter was probably a bit much.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

Looking to upgrade at catcher. (don't worry guys in Pedro's legue, not seeking seeking advice there). I acquired Wieters in trade for cheap two months back. he's killing me. The Salvador Perez owner just dropped him. The numbers suggest they are close to the same player. Also looking at Tyler Flowers. He's hitting the ball harder than ever according to statcast. Up there with the Cruz, Stanton, Trumbo, Schoop type power. But has a K rate over 30% and his BAPIP is .367. So is he lucky and due to regress (also a 33rd round draft pick, so how good is he really?), or is Flowers mashing?

Catchers are like Tight ends. A couple studs, and roll the dice other wise. So no keeper potential here. But for the playoff run, Wieters, Perez, or Flowers?
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=