Prince Fielder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 weams

weams
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

It seems like the end game is approaching. I predict a contract this week.
A nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yep...how crazy are the Orioles will to get?

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,120 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I agree with this as well.

How do you handicap the bidding?

I can see the Nationals as the favorite, but if they were willing to go to 7 or 8 years, I would think he would be signed already. If you are Fielder, do you want to sign with a National League team (no DH) for that long

Despite the Rangers saying they lack the funds, I can seem them finding a way to offer a 3 or 5 year deal.

Maybe someone unexpected jumps into this, like the Dodgers.

If the O's offered the 7yrs $145M they offered Tex, I think they would have a chance at landing him. If the O's offered 8 years, I think they would probably get him. You can debate how much sense there would be for the O's to make that type of commitment, but I certainly won't cry if they add him.

#24 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Fielder's problem seems to be he priced himself way too high for the market. Most teams that aren't based in Philadelphia place a higher premium on pitching than hitting. Pitching is always in short supply, even for the teams who are automatic locks to win their division (see: Boston Red Sox, 2011.)

Big run producers such as Fielder are desirable to acquire if they are reasonably priced. If not, it's logical to pay less for a free agent of approximately the same capability as Fielder and spend the rest of the money on pitching. I hope the Orioles feel that way, especially where Fielder is concerned. I don't think he's all he's cracked up to be anyway. And he sure would not be the second coming of Frank Robinson, considering the current Orioles' lineup.

Barring a collapse by Toronto, the O's are headed for another last place finish this year anyway, whether or not Fielder plays for them. They should invest that $145M acquiring as many promising high school and college pitchers as they can afford, along with some coaches who know how to teach them how to pitch in MLB.

#25 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Grant Brisbee, writing on the Baseball Nation blog, succinctly states the best reason I have read for the Orioles to sign Fielder:

"The Orioles are bad because they don't have enough good players. They should acquire more good players. This Fielder fella is a good player, and he should be for a few years yet. The Orioles acquiring Fielder would fit with that whole "acquire good players" strategy. See? This baseball stuff is easy."

Interesting comparison of the Orioles to last year's Detroit Tigers, but assumes some Orioles pitchers may suddenly become effective:

http://mlb.sbnation....-fielder-rumors

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,120 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Fielder signs with Detroit, new thread in MLB section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=