Prince Fielder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Well, since most of MLB has managed to keep its sanity the first time around, it appears there may be a more reasonably priced, but still used Fielder on the market now. Dan Duquette says he is "monitoring the situation." I would prefer he ignored the situation, because even putting Babe Ruth on the O's wouldn't make them a winning team (unless he can still pitch.) But apparently none of the big spenders is ready to cough up a quarter-billion dollars over the next 10 years. I hope he goes back to Milwaukee. Sometimes, people should just be happy with their lot in life.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

BSL: 17 Baseball Analysts on Fielder
http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=3040

In early October we compiled the comments from 17 different interviews, asking writers and analysts their thoughts on Fielder to the O's. There was wide ranging opinions from the contract Fielder would and should command, and if the O's should pursue.

On that Baltimore Sports Report podcast I linked to in another thread (http://baltimorespor...c.php?f=3&t=172), I was asked about Fielder. I said that during all of 2011, I expected that the O's would pursue and wind-up making an offer similar to the years and money they offered Teixeira (7yrs, $145M). Duquette made clear in his initial press conference that it was going to be very unlikely for the O's to go after Fielder. Since that point the door has gone from fully closed, to very slightly cracked.

The O's are not going to break the bank for him, but if nobody else is offering above 6 years for him, the O's might get involved at that point. With the Holiday season now over, this probably comes to a quick conclusion. I'll be shocked if Fielder gets 10 years from anyone. At this point I'd be surprised if he got 8 years from anyone. (If he did, I think it would DC, or Baltimore.)

I've read conflicting stories about the interest from the Nationals, Cubs, and Texas. You would think if you were Fielder, if you were signing a deal over 5 years, you would want the option to be a DH. Seattle apparently made an offer (unknown terms) on 12/20. I think the ship on him returning to Milwaukee has long sailed, and I agree that is a shame.

#3 David Robinette

David Robinette
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I think the Prince would be a good fit in DC. Their management seems intent on winning a playoff spot this year (2012.) They have said that they thought they needed two pitchers and a big bat. They just picked up a young and potentially good arm from Oakland. A Fielder in their lineup would take some pressure off Jason Werth. And if Fielder really can hit with power into his late 30's, he won't have too much trouble DH-ing in the A.L. when his Washington contract is up.

The best thing about Fielder going to DC is, it would keep him out of Baltimore, so the Orioles can earmark that $250B toward developing the best pitching in MLB.

#4 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

I can't argue with any of the reasoning that says the Orioles should not sign Fielder. But I can't help imagining him in the middle of the lineup smacking the ball around (and out of) the park.

It would be fun and it would generate excitement which would help attendance. How much it could help is hard to say, but over a year would he draw an extra 100,000 fans? That seems easy...More? How much is that worth?

It might even make signing future free agents easier.

And if, by a twist of fate and good fortune, some of our young starters take a couple steps forward, it could be a sizzling summer in Baltimore.

Like I said, I get why many or most say it wouldn't matter...still...

It's the off season, and one can dream!
@Tpjs1

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I can't argue with any of the reasoning that says the Orioles should not sign Fielder. But I can't help imagining him in the middle of the lineup smacking the ball around (and out of) the park.

It would be fun and it would generate excitement which would help attendance. How much it could help is hard to say, but over a year would he draw an extra 100,000 fans? That seems easy...More? How much is that worth?

It might even make signing future free agents easier.

And if, by a twist of fate and good fortune, some of our young starters take a couple steps forward, it could be a sizzling summer in Baltimore.

Like I said, I get why many or most say it wouldn't matter...still...

It's the off season, and one can dream!

100K is about right in all likelihood...maybe even more.

I don't think Balt goes more than 6 years and I don't think they go more than 140M total.

But to keep it going, they need to win.

#6 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

I don't think Balt goes more than 6 years and I don't think they go more than 140M total.

I know you used to work there so I will bow to your expertise but an extra 1,250 a game seems high for just Prince.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#7 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

The longer Prince is available, the more I tend to think it benefits the Orioles. Not that I really believe their is much of a chance, but I expected some team to give him a huge contract by now. Perhaps the market for Prince has a bit more reasonable price than we all thought, I'm not sure.

The Orioles winning depends nearly 100% on the young pitching developing, but if they were able to get Prince, they'd definitely have an above average offense to back those guys up.

It won't happen, but damn it would be fun.

@AdamWolff

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

I know you used to work there so I will bow to your expertise but an extra 1,250 a game seems high for just Prince.

Well, it would be all about season tickets. They saw a big attendance increase when they signed Tejada and Lopez. I think Fielder would do something similar to that...but they can't maintain the increase if they don't win.

#9 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Pretty much any contract we'd sign him to would be a mistake. That said, I'd still buy a Fielder jersey. 8-)
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

NBC Hardball Talk: Updating the Prince Fielder market: Cubs, DC, Toronto
http://hardballtalk.... ... nats-jays/

NBC's Drew Silva provides his thoughts on the Ken Davidoff Newsday piece ( http://www.newsday.c... ... -1.3421208 ).

O's fans are tired of hearing about Fielder, because basically nobody believes he is going to come to Baltimore. I understand that perspective, especially as the O's have given little credence to the idea that they will be in pursuit.

However, the market seems to have played out to the point that the O's could realistically have a chance to obtain him. I think the O's should offer what they offered Teixeira, which was about 7 years $145M. If he is going to go somewhere else, let them beat that. If someone beats that, so be it.

If you obtain him, you are allocating a lot of resources ($) for '12, and '13 into Fielder's contract when you don't figure to compete. I totally respect the opinion that those resources could be better utilized throughout the organization. Consider me unconvinced that the O's are going to spend $41.4M ($145M / 7 yrs = $20.7M x 2 = $41.4M) over the next two years to bolster their internal operations.

#11 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

That Tex deal isn't really looking good in hindsight and Prince doesn't have the defense ability or body type that Tex has. Six years would be my absolute limit.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

That Tex deal isn't really looking good in hindsight and Prince doesn't have the defense ability or body type that Tex has. Six years would be my absolute limit.

I wanted Prince Fielder when he was available in the Amateur Draft. There were people concerned with his body type at that point. As he ages, I get that concern remains. I see a pretty strong athlete, when considering his size.

In an ideal world, I agree 6 years would be preferable. I don't think going to 7 should be a deal-breaker. I do think it would be a way for the O's to differentiate themselves from competing offers and essentially pay the 'O's tax' for their ineptitude over the less decade plus.

Of course I do understand those who would say, if the O's have to go above and beyond everyone else - that is further reason why his signing is not a good idea. I guess my thought is that if you had been told on the first day of Free Agency that you could sign Fielder for 7yrs $145M, that most people would deem that contract worthwhile. That even if you think resources could be better allocated, that Fielder would be likely to approximate that level of production over the length of the contract.

Teixeira was born 4/11/80. He signed his 8 year $180M deal with NY going into the 2009 season, his age 29 season.

Fielder was born 5/9/84. The deal he signs will be for the 2012 season, his age 28 season. When people were suggesting 8-10 years and $180-$200M for Fielder, I thought that was crazy and not something the O's should do. If they can get him for what they offered Texieria, I think that has plenty of merit.

#13 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I can't wait for Fielder to sign somewhere. I'm sick of seeing his name linked to the O's because Boras is only using that as a way to help generate interest in his client. The man knows how to do his job.

#14 TomPeace

TomPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

The Orioles need a lot more than just Prince Fielder.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

The Orioles need a lot more than just Prince Fielder.

Yep, no doubt about that. Which is why many people believe that even if the O's could obtain Fielder, they would be better of not doing so.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

He is going to go to DC IMO.

Rosenthal's column today did a good job of outlining why.

DC has always been one of the most likely destinations...it makes a lot of sense on many levels.

#17 bens80

bens80
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Despite the conflicting statements from the Rangers on the topic, a growing sentiment among the national baseball writers seem to indicate that the Rangers are seriously considering a run at Prince (albeit with the known consequence of likely having to let Hamilton walk after next year) and talks may be further along than indicated.

Should Prince end up a Ranger, would you advocate dealing for Mitch Moreland (as a 1B/LF option) and what would be a reasonable cost?

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Daniels was quoted today as saying it would be very unlikely the Rangers could bring in Fielder after getting Darvish done, didn't think they had the available funds.

If somehow they find a way to get Fielder, I could see Moreland being available, figuring they would probably keep Young in their lineup.

#19 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Moreland is a 26-year-old first baseman who had a near-replacement level season last season in 512 PA while playing half his games in perhaps the big league park friendliest to hitters. O's already have Chris Davis, and they seem willing to give him his 500-600 PA to see if a change of scenery + change in coaching + consistent PAs throughout the season equates to more contact, less strikeouts and more of that elite raw power popping up in games.

I don't see a match.
@BSLLukeJackson

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

NBC Sports / Hardball Talk: MLB execs think Dodgers will be in play for Fielder
http://hardballtalk....prince-fielder/

If Fielder does wind-up in LA, do you have interest in Loney?

Loney will be 28 in May. Last year he had 43 xbh's, and a .329 wOBA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=