SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

Ditto.

Remember a few weeks ago the Reds said that the O's had the prospects to get a deal done. 

@beginthebegin71

#302 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Remember a few weeks ago the Reds said that the O's had the prospects to get a deal done. 

That doesn't really seem meaningful to me.  We of course have the prospects to get it done, we could massively overpay and give up Givens and Sisco or something. 

The key is do we have pieces we are willing to part with that would satisfy what the Reds are looking for.  I think considering the Angels were the last team to get close to agreeing to a deal with them, and that they have such a weak system and it didn't sound like it was their best guys involved, that the two teams should be able to come up with an agreeable package.

#303 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

That doesn't really seem meaningful to me.  We of course have the prospects to get it done, we could massively overpay and give up Givens and Sisco or something. 

The key is do we have pieces we are willing to part with that would satisfy what the Reds are looking for.  I think considering the Angels were the last team to get close to agreeing to a deal with them, and that they have such a weak system and it didn't sound like it was their best guys involved, that the two teams should be able to come up with an agreeable package.

Fair point. 

@beginthebegin71

#304 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

If it turns out that he is who the last couple years say he is, do you still want him?  Or is this mostly about counting on him bouncing back to who he used to be?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#305 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

If it turns out that he is who the last couple years say he is, do you still want him?  Or is this mostly about counting on him bouncing back to who he used to be?

Counting on / hoping for him bouncing back, for sure. 

He bounced back to start 2015, but collapsed horrifically in the second half.  Overall, over the last two years, we'd be horribly disappointed with those numbers (695 OPS / 90 OPS+ overall).  The 729 OPS and 97 OPS+ he posted last year wouldn't be a complete disaster, but it wouldn't be nearly worth $12M for a below average defensive RF.

However, the team got a 668 OPS out of LF (5th worst in MLB) and a 640 OPS out of RF (worst in MLB, and was only 603 if you eliminate Davis' contributions).  So even if Bruce matches his combined numbers from the past two years, it's still a significant step up (not that we'd be remotely happy paying $12M for a <700 OPS).  MLB average OPS last year in LF was 730 and RF was 759.

#306 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

I still think Bruce is a decent option for the Orioles.  I think a change of scenery may be a big help to him.  He is a left handed hitting right fielder, which is the need.  That said, I don't think we should pay top $$$.  I wonder if the book on DD is to wait him out and he will eventually give in.  

@mikeghg

#307 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

Duquette's often shown that he doesn't really value mid-tier prospects.  He holds on to top guys very closely, only giving in and dealing away Rodriguez when push came to shove at the 2014 deadline, but he's been really loose with sending away guys in the 5-30 range (depending on how good our system's been at any point in time) for players that don't really jump out as guys you sacrifice the future for (KRod, Thome, etc).  I suspect that's based on an honest scouting assessment of specific players the organization knows really well and is fine dealing away rather than just on him placing no value on non-premium prospects.

Some of these guys he's traded have improved their stock and are more legit, highly though of prospects now (Hader jumps out), but most of these guys turned into nothing (or nothing so far), which is what most guys that far down in any organization's rankings end up doing.

If we can't work out a deal for Bruce, I doubt it's because Duquette is overvaluing players like Parker Bridwell and Tyler Wilson.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#308 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

If we can't work out a deal for Bruce, I doubt it's because Duquette is overvaluing players like Parker Bridwell and Tyler Wilson.

Agreed. My guess is the price for guys like Bruce and Cashner were much higher than DD (and I'd guess any of us) would have wanted to pay. 

#309 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

Anyone wanna take a wild guess who has the highest WAR in MLB through the first month?

http://www.fangraphs...lter=&players=0

@BSLMikeRandall

#310 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Anyone wanna take a wild guess who has the highest WAR in MLB through the first month?

No

#311 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

http://www.fangraphs...lter=&players=0

Saw that too.  Screw him.

@mikeghg

#312 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

As an Oriole, he'd been on the DL by now.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#313 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

As an Oriole, he'd been on the DL by now.

As an Oriole, he would have put Adam Jones on the season-ending DL by now. #Schwarber

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=