201 replies to this topic

#161 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 09:54 PM

That was an incredibly good race.  The F1 fanatic I know said that's the best race he's ever seen.  The Smooth Operator gets his first win and nice to see Mick finally score some points.  I still have no idea if Sainz was supposed to pass Leclerc.

#162 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 10:44 PM

That was an incredibly good race. The F1 fanatic I know said that's the best race he's ever seen. The Smooth Operator gets his first win and nice to see Mick finally score some points. I still have no idea if Sainz was supposed to pass Leclerc.

IIRC on the broadcast it sounded basically like they gave the okay for the two Ferraris to race, but don’t screw up.
@BSLMikeRandall

#163 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:10 PM

I make no claims about understanding the nuances of F1 or being a strategy expert...

but I am 100% confident I could do a better job than Mattia Binotto.

#164 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:26 PM

Apparently the Netflix (I think it’s Netflix) series on F1 is awesome. May have to check it out.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#165 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:25 PM

It's on my list.  My F1 superfan friend says they create artificial drama, but I'll have to watch the show covering this season.

#166 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:01 AM

It's on my list. My F1 superfan friend says they create artificial drama, but I'll have to watch the show covering this season.

If they do it’s real subtle. It’s like Hard Knocks rather than Real Housewives. I enjoy the F1 show. Got me into watching the races this season. Or at least DVRing them and watching them later.
@BSLMikeRandall

#167 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:13 AM

Was hoping Hass was starting to turn things around with double points in two consecutive races. But two races since of squat. Oh well. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#168 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:34 AM

I make no claims about understanding the nuances of F1 or being a strategy expert...

It is rather remarkable just how much better Red Bull is with strategy than Ferrari. Yesterday should have been a 1-2 day for them, but Red Bull made a great call while their decision making was horrendous, so they ended up 4th and 6th instead. 

Meanwhile Mercedes is back in the mix, which is nice to see, especially because there's 3 viable teams now in a given weekend.

#169 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:38 PM

I cant believe Weber is into auto racing. Not any kind of swipe at you I just would have lost big on that if I made a bet.

#170 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2022 - 12:42 PM

I cant believe Weber is into auto racing. Not any kind of swipe at you I just would have lost big on that if I made a bet.

You would still be winning if limited to NASCAR. 

I think F1 is a lot more interesting than NASCAR as a sport or competition with it not being a big oval and all. The reality show that has been discussed is really what got me into it though along with the movie Rush.

#171 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 August 2022 - 03:14 PM

Ferrari and Leclerc could be right there if not for all of their blunders.  As much as I hate to admit it, but both titles probably end up in Red Bull's hands this year

Was hoping Hass was starting to turn things around with double points in two consecutive races. But two races since of squat. Oh well. 

Schumacher has cost them too much time and money with all of his wrecks so far this season.  They were the only team that hadn't applied any upgrades to their car before Sunday.  Even then they only had enough time/money to apply it to Magnussen, they'll get to Mick's during the Summer break.  They've been better this year but still have a ways to go.  Maybe a new driver with Magnussen next year...

In case anyone missed it, Vettel is retiring at the end of the season.  Class act that's not afraid to tell it like it is, the 4 time champ will be missed.   On a related note the 2 time champ Fernando Alonso will be taking his seat at Aston Martin next year.  I'm kind of surprised by this because Alpine has a much more competitive car right now.

• Mike in STL likes this

#172 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:06 PM

It is rather remarkable just how much better Red Bull is with strategy than Ferrari. Yesterday should have been a 1-2 day for them, but Red Bull made a great call while their decision making was horrendous, so they ended up 4th and 6th instead. 

Meanwhile Mercedes is back in the mix, which is nice to see, especially because there's 3 viable teams now in a given weekend.

Gotta give Verstappen and Lewis some credit, they drove great yesterday.  Verstappen not losing it with that spin, and I have no idea where Lewis found all that speed to pass so many folks near the end.

But yeah there's no way Charles doesn't finish 1st yesterday if they don't screw up the tire strat.  At least last week it was a driver error

#173 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:18 AM

Riccardo will be leaving McLaren at the end of the season.

#174 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:02 PM

Riccardo will be leaving McLaren at the end of the season.

Can’t remember. Did he leave Red Bull on his own, or did they push him out?
@BSLMikeRandall

#175 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 August 2022 - 12:19 PM

Can’t remember. Did he leave Red Bull on his own, or did they push him out?

That was his decision.  He had finished 3rd in the points two separate times while racing for them.  Left Red Bull to go to Renault for 2 years before moving to McLaren (he took the open spot there when Sainz jumped ship to Ferrari).   Now the rumor is he may go back to Alpine (formerly Renault) next season.  There are some rumblings that Haas could be in the mix, but I don't think they can afford him.  I would almost want to see it  the content Daniel and Gunther would create for Drive to Survive would be gold.

#176 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:09 AM

That was his decision. He had finished 3rd in the points two separate times while racing for them. Left Red Bull to go to Renault for 2 years before moving to McLaren (he took the open spot there when Sainz jumped ship to Ferrari). Now the rumor is he may go back to Alpine (formerly Renault) next season. There are some rumblings that Haas could be in the mix, but I don't think they can afford him. I would almost want to see it the content Daniel and Gunther would create for Drive to Survive would be gold.

He’s got to regret leaving Red Bull. Who wants to voluntarily drive a slower car in auto racing?
@BSLMikeRandall

#177 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 February 2023 - 06:46 PM

How many OT starts can we get at Daytona?  So many crashes.

#178 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 07:44 AM

How many OT starts can we get at Daytona? So many crashes.

Pretty underwhelming finish. Feel like when there is a crash on the last lap the yellow doesn’t need to come out.
  • Dupin likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#179 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 08:40 PM

The F1 season is gonna be pretty boring if Red Bull is this much faster throughout.

At least there will be some good racing in the middle.  Gotta love Ferrari having engine problems on day one.

#180 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 06:55 PM

Wish 8 cars didn’t have to wreck for Hass to get points. Crazy start and finish to the Australian race.

Also wish Hass was the underdog taking podiums and not Aston Martin. But two races in a row with a point is good for Guenther’s job security I guess. I love him on Drive to Survive. Even if he wasn’t Principal of the lone American owned team, I’d still like him the most I think.

Doesn’t look like the budget cap is doing anything for parity as Red Bull once again looks like far and away the best. Kind of boring in that regard. I can’t get into competition for 4th best.

Is the season always this spread out? It’s a month break before the next race and there’s only been 3 races. Let’s go already.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=